2014-2015 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@whitepatchMD but then there is this from Traffic Rules for Admissions: AAMC Recommendations for Medical School and M.D.- Ph.D. Admission Officers
https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

6) (Change) After April 30, each school or program implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs. These procedures: a. Each school or program should permit applicants: i. A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation ii. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both. b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Middle tier last year. Rejected this year. Everyone go to UAB so I can get in USA haha. I guess all that work I put in really paid off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected :shrug:. So my questions now are to anyone who has had to reapply. For the primary application, do you have to change your personal statement or is it okay to leave as is? Second, who do I contact at UAB to ask WHY!?

"Applicants with Alabama residency who do not receive acceptance to medical school may request feedback starting May 15, 2015. Applicants may email Cathy O'Malley ([email protected]) to request feedback."

So I am holding an acceptance at both south and uab, but I want to wait to see my campus assignment for UAB. That will ultimately decide what school I attend. Anybody give me advice on conflicts with deadline of holding two acceptances?

The following is from REL, the head of admissions at UCF over in their thread, but it applies to all schools:

"You are allowed at least 14 days from October to April 30, then a minimum of 5 days after April 30....schools can begin to reduce the 5 days as they get closer to the start date of the program. So if you received an offer on April 28 you have a minimum of 14 days before you must render your decision if you have multiple programs. This also means that if you received an offer on April 28 and another on May 2, you might have to render a final decision on the second offer before the first offer."

I hope that answers your question and good luck making a decision.

"you will receive further communication about your level on the Alternate List"

Oh, I get it. They just didn't finish the tiers in time.
I suspect they have the rankings completed but just have not updated the portal yet since they waited to the very last minute to send anything out yesterday. Should be able to do that over the next few days. They may also be waiting to see how many decline WL, which could allow some current middle tier to move up to upper tier and lower-to-middle. It's no secret I have been a UAB critic, so to be fair - tiering is a UAB plus IMO. Most schools won't tell you where you are on the WL. At least with UAB's tiered approach you have an idea of your chances and can try to plan accordingly. Based on previous years -- Tier 1 is almost a 100% lock, Tier 2 = 50/50, Tier 3 = acceptance this yr is unlikely.

I suspect they have the rankings completed but just have not updated the portal yet since they waited to the very last minute to send anything out yesterday.

Its possible that you're right, but I don't share your optimism. When you check your status, it has those explanations for what the possible messages could be and exactly what they indicate. Even on there, the tiers are divided. I suspect they didn't even have a generalized alternate list message until yesterday nor an email to send out. I strongly suspect they're quibbling on exactly who goes where and the exact rankings are undetermined.

If thats the case, they'll need to meet again before we get any tiers or acceptances which is 1-2 weeks minimum. I really doubt the bottleneck being dealt with is any clerical.

Thats just my hypothesis though.

Didn't post, but I got accepted Thursday as well. I think everyone noticed there were no campus assignments or tiers sent out. For those accepted, check your secondary application status and there might be a change. I found that I have a Huntsville assignment, but did not get an email, so check your applications. For those on the waitlist, it would not hurt to check the application status either to see if yours has changed as well. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't post, but I got accepted Thursday as well. I think everyone noticed there were no campus assignments or tiers sent out. For those accepted, check your secondary application status and there might be a change. I found that I have a Huntsville assignment, but did not get an email, so check your applications. For those on the waitlist, it would not hurt to check the application status either to see if yours has changed as well. Good luck to everyone.
Congrats!
Its possible that you're right, but I don't share your optimism. When you check your status, it has those explanations for what the possible messages could be and exactly what they indicate. Even on there, the tiers are divided. I suspect they didn't even have a generalized alternate list message until yesterday nor an email to send out. I strongly suspect they're quibbling on exactly who goes where and the exact rankings are undetermined.

If thats the case, they'll need to meet again before we get any tiers or acceptances which is 1-2 weeks minimum. I really doubt the bottleneck being dealt with is any clerical.

Thats just my hypothesis though.
I agree it is hard to predict with UAB. FWIW on last year's thread there were postings of tiers within a few days of the waitlist being released.

Congrats!

I agree it is hard to predict with UAB. FWIW on last year's thread there were postings of tiers within a few days of the waitlist being released.
They had your tier when the wait list came out last year. Or at least mine did. Should be a lot of movement in it starting midway through next week.

Good luck to everyone still hanging onto hope. It's crunch time for finals then out of the country for me after Saturday's graduation. I'm counting on seeing plenty of good news posts when I return in a few weeks. Keep the faith.

Last edited:
Right there with you Wasteofspace323.

Alternate list, no idea what tier!

I saw they started accepting some people off alternate on May 1st last year so I would assume they'll rank it out and start moving the list soon!

Anyone got any updates on tier? Or any updates?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do we have any idea of how many people actually get placed on the alternates list? That way, once we know our tier we will have an idea of how many people are ahead of us. I just checked and I still don't have a tier.

So do we have any idea of how many people actually get placed on the alternates list? That way, once we know our tier we will have an idea of how many people are ahead of us. I just checked and I still don't have a tier.
For the past few years I was told it has been 45 in each tier. Most years they eventually accept all of Tier 1 and about half of Tier 2.

For the past few years I was told it has been 45 in each tier. Most years they eventually accept all of Tier 1 and about half of Tier 2.
That is bad not to know what tier you're on! You guys don't know if you should be optimistic or not! Good luck!

Do they call you or email you off the WL?

And if they call you does anyone know what number? I'm terrible about answering the phone. I get like 20 random/wrong numbers a day. I'm not calling every single one back.

Has anyone contacted admissions to ask about when they plan on releasing the tiers?

Do they call you or email you off the WL?

And if they call you does anyone know what number? I'm terrible about answering the phone. I get like 20 random/wrong numbers a day. I'm not calling every single one back.

They won't call you. They just email.

Has anyone received their formal letter in the mail that got accepted at the end of April? I haven't gotten mine yet and it's kind of freaking me out. I know they said it may take awhile because of campus assignments, but I've had my campus assignment for like a week or so now. Just wondering since I know we have to turn in the acceptance form to them.

Has anyone received their formal letter in the mail that got accepted at the end of April? I haven't gotten mine yet and it's kind of freaking me out. I know they said it may take awhile because of campus assignments, but I've had my campus assignment for like a week or so now. Just wondering since I know we have to turn in the acceptance form to them.
I called the office yesterday and they said "you should get your letters in the near future" so I don't think there is any need to freak out.

Accepted off waitlist today as well, notified via email.

Reactions: 3 users
Those accepted off wait list mind sharing stats? Also, congratulations on getting in!!!!

Congrats to all accepted off the waitlist!! Excited for you guys! That being said, those who have been waitlisted have obviously been ranked and prioritized considering these people were accepted today. That means that the admissions office must have the tier information figured out by now, so why is there STILL no email to update tier statuses? Thoughts?

They just won't do it. Its not like they're forced to. They clearly feel no obligation to keep to their word. They blow off their own deadlines regularly. The only reason the WL was even released by april 30th was because AMCAS deadlines. I've given up on any level of professionalism from this school. I don't know why i'm surprised.

They just won't do it. Its not like they're forced to. They clearly feel no obligation to keep to their word. They blow off their own deadlines regularly. The only reason the WL was even released by april 30th was because AMCAS deadlines. I've given up on any level of professionalism from this school. I don't know why i'm surprised.

I wouldn't hang on every word and deadline. They are just doing their job... Filling all of their seats in the order that they choose, while students frequently shuffle around. You can waste your time speculating/criticizing the process, or you can keep improving your application, and preparing yourself for success in medical school.

Many schools don't rank their alternate list, because if you really think about it, the tiers are slightly meaningless. They wouldn't even have a "lower tier," if it was exceedingly uncommon to be accepted from that spot. I know someone who recently finished P1 at UA who came from the bottom draw. Two friends that I interviewed with last year received Middle Tier status, and they didn't even make the waitlist this year. Plan for the worst, start making plans for the upcoming year, and who knows, maybe some good news will come along.

So...I'm trying to decide between UAB or USA w/ a 10k scholarship. Do you guys still think UAB is worth attending? Does the "name" of one's med school significantly affect what opportunities one has in residency (in terms of type and/or prestige of institution)? I know the answer to this question has traditionally been "no", but it seems as med school in general has become increasingly competitive any edge can make a difference.

So...I'm trying to decide between UAB or USA w/ a 10k scholarship. Do you guys still think UAB is worth attending? Does the "name" of one's med school significantly affect what opportunities one has in residency (in terms of type and/or prestige of institution)? I know the answer to this question has traditionally been "no", but it seems as med school in general has become increasingly competitive any edge can make a difference.
I had the exact same situation. Decided to choose UAB. UAB is a legit medical academic institution where you will see things that you will possibly never see at USA. The names of the attendings you will get letters from at UAB will probably carry more weight for residency application than those at USA, the facilities are amazing, and you have essentially endless opportunities for research at UAB. Plus Birmingham > Mobile.

The positives I had for USA was their high step 1 score and their small class size. However, UAB changed their first 2 lecture years to be more focused around step 1 rather than the lecturer. So higher step 1 scores should be seen from the class who just took it. And if you wanted that same small class feel in training at UAB you could go to Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, or Montgomery for your 3rd and 4th year.

Logically speaking, I would go with UAB every day of the week but if your heart is set on USA and what they have to offer then go there. They are a great school and it was a hard decision for me too.

If you look at this year's Match Day results for UAB and USA you see many of the same institutions on both schools' lists. "Name brand" places like Wake Forest, Tulane, Emory, Barnes, MCG, Mt. Sinai. UAB had someone match at Duke. USA had someone match at Harvard. Both schools also had students match at small town family medicine programs you've probably never heard of. Some of USA's students matched at UAB...and some of UAB's students matched at USA. Neither school will make you a lock for a prestigious residency or keep you from matching at such a place. Good grades, good Step 1 scores (USA has the edge there), and good recommendations will make you competitive anywhere. For me Mobile > Birmingham due to less traffic, a campus that's not in the middle of downtown, and better proximity to beaches and New Orleans. I like the smaller basic sciences class size. I've been told that when you get to clinicals you won't see but a few of your classmates at a time no matter where you go.

Go with your gut. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
If you look at this year's Match Day results for UAB and USA you see many of the same institutions on both schools' lists. "Name brand" places like Wake Forest, Tulane, Emory, Barnes, MCG, Mt. Sinai. UAB had someone match at Duke. USA had someone match at Harvard. Both schools also had students match at small town family medicine programs you've probably never heard of. Some of USA's students matched at UAB...and some of UAB's students matched at USA. Neither school will make you a lock for a prestigious residency or keep you from matching at such a place. Good grades, good Step 1 scores (USA has the edge there), and good recommendations will make you competitive anywhere. For me Mobile > Birmingham due to less traffic, a campus that's not in the middle of downtown, and better proximity to beaches and New Orleans. I like the smaller basic sciences class size. I've been told that when you get to clinicals you won't see but a few of your classmates at a time no matter where you go.

Go with your gut. Good luck with your decision.

Agree. Where you match is completely up to you. Good grades, great step 1, and great recs can happen at any school if you put forth the effort. It's just personal preference.

Agree. Where you match is completely up to you. Good grades, great step 1, and great recs can happen at any school if you put forth the effort. It's just personal preference.
I would have to agree. I don't think that scholarship is enough to change your mind on where you would go. Go with the school you would be happier at because that's where you'll be more successful.

What ever you decide, make it fast so others can get off the alternates list! Peoples lives are on hold! - this was not meant negatively by the way. Just a simple reminder!

What ever you decide, make it fast so others can get off the alternates list! Peoples lives are on hold! - this was not meant negatively by the way. Just a simple reminder!
Going to South. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
First off I'm sorry to hear that. Two you can keep components of your essays but you need to add aspects from things you will do this year. I believe it is Cathy O'Malley to request feedback

Can you request feedback if you're on the WL?

Thanks. I was trying to figure out what I would do this summer.
I had the same problem last summer. I just kind of figured I needed to take extra classes and maybe take the MCAt so I just started prepping and signed up anyways and then they told me that's what I needed to do.

Withdrew my application, good luck to those still waiting!

I had the same problem last summer. I just kind of figured I needed to take extra classes and maybe take the MCAt so I just started prepping and signed up anyways and then they told me that's what I needed to do.

I think I need more clinical experience or something, but i'm not sure what to do about that. I was considering scribing but I don't know how they look upon it and doing it for an entire year seems excessive.
I was also hoping I could get detailed feedback about my LoRs since those are the only things I can't even look at on my own.

I think I need more clinical experience or something, but i'm not sure what to do about that. I was considering scribing but I don't know how they look upon it and doing it for an entire year seems excessive.
I was also hoping I could get detailed feedback about my LoRs since those are the only things I can't even look at on my own.
Coming from my experience, scribing has been an amazing addition to my resume. I will be starting in the fall after my gap year, this is my first time applying, I chose to wait to retake a bad MCAT score rather than rush to retake it and try to apply at the end of my Junior year. So I didn't necessarily have anything I "needed" besides a better MCAT which I got before I even started working, but I've been a scribe through the entire year and I've been asked about it in every interview and even besides that it's been a wonderful learning experience. I don't think doing this for my gap year has been excessive at all. Tedious because I've just been working for a year? Yeah, but that comes with taking a gap year anyway. I love being a scribe, getting to know how a medical office works, and becoming close with the physicians. If clinical experience is what you need I would definitely recommend it.
As far as detailed feedback about LoRs, idk if they would be able to give you anything, because you signed a form stating that you waive your right to see them (at least I did for my school) but I have no insight on that at all, I would just see that happening.

As far as detailed feedback about LoRs, idk if they would be able to give you anything, because you signed a form stating that you waive your right to see them (at least I did for my school) but I have no insight on that at all, I would just see that happening.

I figured they could at least tell you if someone wrote you a really poor letter or was overall negative. I mean, they could just recommend you not use that person again. I'm not even sure if I need more clinical experience. I thought 50ish hours of shadowing and volunteering at a clinic for a semester would be enough. My scores were fairly competitive and everyone I talked to said i'd probably get in. I dunno. I guess I was hoping feedback would be explicit and in-detail? Like, it would explain exactly what was discussed during the meeting or however it works. I hope its not just some vague fluff.

I figured they could at least tell you if someone wrote you a really poor letter or was overall negative. I mean, they could just recommend you not use that person again. I'm not even sure if I need more clinical experience. I thought 50ish hours of shadowing and volunteering at a clinic for a semester would be enough. My scores were fairly competitive and everyone I talked to said i'd probably get in. I dunno. I guess I was hoping feedback would be explicit and in-detail? Like, it would explain exactly what was discussed during the meeting or however it works. I hope its not just some vague fluff.
Yeah, I gotcha. Hopefully it will be specific so you will know exactly what to work on. I have no clue on how schools pick and choose between applicants. I wish it wasn't such a seemingly random thing, but hopefully they can give you something specific to work on.

Mine was relatively vague when I got it back. It was basically a list of things you can do. Get MCAT up a point or two. Take upper level science classes. Keep shadowing, ect. They'll point you in the right direction, but then you just have to go figure it out from there.

I'll put in another good word for scribing - IMO it's a solid thing to do for a gap year, and can fit around a school schedule or some other activity if needed. Doing it for a year is totally fine because you're always seeing new and interesting things. The hours can be rough but it was a fun and easy job, and you do learn a lot. The docs at my ER were awesome and very willing to do LORs. If I had to do it over again, I might have tried to combine scribing with an ER tech job somehow, just to get some hands-on clinical skills too. There's probably other clinical opportunities out there if you want something different.

You could also decide 50-100 clinical hours is enough and do something completely different and out there, non-clinical, according to whatever you're interested in. While I think scribing definitely helped my app, it wasn't actually the thing that was brought up during my interviews, like, at all. I feel like a good strategy for the ECs is to make sure to get the boxes checked (clinical/volunteering/research, etc), but get something unique and memorable in there too. Not that it has to be something amazing - my interviewers were most interested in some of my more odd jobs that I didn't think were among my best ECs, but were kinda different. So many people are totally qualified to get in, it can be tough to stand out, especially with similar ECs to other applicants. Best of luck! Hopefully you guys who are still waiting all get off the waitlist and don't have to worry about this stuff.