2014-2015 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For this prompt, does failure in lab research count as non-academic?
Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? When faced with a challenge in your life, how has thinking it over allowed you to move forward?
I had a lot of trouble with this one too. It's hard to find something you've truly failed at when you're (potentially) only 21 years old.

Try and think of something that you regret. Maybe something you wish you would have done. You can try and spin it off as a failure in some sense, at least for the purpose of this essay. I don't think they're going to be that critical and toss your application if this one essay isn't perfect. I think they're just looking for some self-reflection.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really having difficulty with these essays for some reason. These are some of the more specific essay questions I've seen so far...

These essays definitely required a lot of thought. I really enjoyed that they differed from most of the other schools I've applied to, though.

Id count that as academic. You can say you failed to understand the prompt?

Actually I just called the admissions...they said if the research I did is taken for credit, then its academic...If it's just volunteering or for paid, it's non-academic...so research can be used for failure prompt..

Members don't see this ad :)
Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? When faced with a challenge in your life, how has thinking it over allowed you to move forward?

How about failing to get into medical school during the last cycle? Do you guys think I can write about that...

Reactions: 1 users

How about failing to get into medical school during the last cycle? Do you guys think I can write about that...

Hmm, I think that still may be considered academic? I guess you could make it work if you talk about the medical school process as a professional endeavor, and how it's part of your lifelong aspirations to become a doctor and improve lives?

Honestly, I'd try to find something a little more unique. That seems too close to an academic failure.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitting tonight.... hoping for the best for all of us!

Anyone receive a complete email? I haven't and I submitted on 7/5. On the application status page it says it is complete, so maybe that counts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive a complete email? I haven't and I submitted on 7/5. On the application status page it says it is complete, so maybe that counts?

Same here; status complete but no corresponding email. I get the impression UofA doesn't send complete emails.

Last edited:
What constitues the letter of rec from a clinical supervisor or physician? Would a letter from my PI in a clinical research lab count for that?

This is my top choice! I am a Tucson native, U of A is my alma mater, and I was born at University of Arizona Medical Center! If anyone has questions about the city of Tucson, let me know :)

What constitues the letter of rec from a clinical supervisor or physician? Would a letter from my PI in a clinical research lab count for that?

I was told that they are looking more for a letter from a physician, nurse, or other medical staff member that you have shadowed or worked with... It can also be a volunteer coordinator or manager for some clinical experience you had, so if you can get a volunteer coordinator at a hospital you volunteered for, or something along those lines. I would call them to ask if a research PI would count just to make sure that is okay.

Last edited:
This is my top choice! I am a Tucson native, U of A is my alma mater, and I was born at University of Arizona Medical Center!

Same here. I hope you fare better than I did, as I'm reapplying.

They sent "Secondary Materials Received" emails the first week of August last year. Then, you were waiting for an email that said either:

1) you're invited to interview, or
2) no interview invite at this time.

If you receive the latter, don't freak. Last year, they sent that email to a few people, only to send them the interview invite email the very next day. That all went down on 19 and 20 August last year. My guess is that the timeline will be similar this year.

Good luck to all.

I called today after reading your post since I did not have a letter from a physician or a volunteer coordinator. They said that a PI is great, but the committee really likes to have a letter form a coordinator or physician. Luckily I was able to get in touch with a physician I had shadowed and they wrote one and just now uploaded it to AMCAS for me. Does anyone know how long it takes for schools to receive letters from AMCAS once they have been designated to be sent to a specific school?

Same here. I hope you fare better than I did, as I'm reapplying.

They sent "Secondary Materials Received" emails the first week of August last year. Then, you were waiting for an email that said either:

1) you're invited to interview, or
2) no interview invite at this time.

If you receive the latter, don't freak. Last year, they sent that email to a few people, only to send them the interview invite email the very next day. That all went down on 19 and 20 August last year. My guess is that the timeline will be similar this year.

Good luck to all.

I wish you luck as well! Do you mind if I ask your stats?

Not at all...3.6/3.8/30

Those are good! Did you apply late or something? According to what I've been told by some admissions staff at U of A, your stats are strong, so I definitely think you have a good chance.

I can also go ask someone about when they are planning on sending interview invitations this year if anyone is curious. I will be down at UMC today.

Reactions: 5 users
The answer I received I was super specific, but they said the latest it would be would be 10 days before the first interview date for the first "round" of interview invites they give. So expect around august 20th or so, since the first interview date is the first week of September.

Reactions: 3 users
The answer I received I was super specific, but they said the latest it would be would be 10 days before the first interview date for the first "round" of interview invites they give. So expect around august 20th or so, since the first interview date is the first week of September.

Thanks Clynn! I know we all really appreciate you asking.

Those are good! Did you apply late or something? According to what I've been told by some admissions staff at U of A, your stats are strong, so I definitely think you have a good chance.
Well...there are politics everywhere. ;)

Did anyone get an invitation to attend the mock MMI?

Did anyone get an invitation to attend the mock MMI?
I called them last week about the mock MMIs. Supposedly, they got 240ish applications for 40 spots:-/

Last edited:
why must everything in medicine be so darn competitive?!?!?!

No MMI workshop for me :(

Hopefully someone here gets it!

I am guessing they may have decided to mainly select those from underserved backgrounds since that is a huge part of their mission. Who knows. Hopefully we will be extended a real II in the next few weeks.

I actually received a mock mmi invitation but I don't know what their criteria is. Did anyone else get an invite?

Not sure either, I didn't get one. I hope they didn't select anyone who isn't applying this cycle.. that'd be such a waste if they picked people who could apply for it in future years.

I actually received a mock mmi invitation but I don't know what their criteria is. Did anyone else get an invite?

I got an invite too but it must have been because someone else cancelled because I just got it.

me too..:(
i'm curious how they pick people though
I emailed them asking how the wait list works and how they chose.

They said that most people on the wait list have already gone through a medical school interview and they gave priority to those who have not. As well, they had about 130 applicants so they had to pick and chose those they found would benefit most (i.e. those who haven't had an interview before). The wait list ranking won't be determined until later this week.

I am participating in the mock MMI!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think since the number of applicants was so high, it was really really difficult to get a spot this year! Also I think maybe a lot of UA Phoenix applicants applied since UA Phoenix has a similar interview process.

Last edited:
From what I was told, there was an insane number of applicants for this year's mock MMI, way more than last year's. :/ I wish more of you could have been invited to participate.

Last edited:
If people don't respond by today at 6 pm they are going to accept people for the Mock MMI off the wait list, so don't lost hope yet!

I didn't know they had the Mock MMIs. That's awesome. I had a chance to experience those at Phx via the AAIP PAW. It was actually fun and kept you on your toes!

I'm confused!! Were you guys told that you were placed on the waitlist for the mock MMIs? I just received an email saying that I wasn't accepted.

Anyone think its too late to submit secondaries to this school now?

Anyone know when they will start sending interview invites?