2014-2015 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.

2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below “B minus”, or course withdrawals.

3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.

4) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believe that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (2 pages, single spaced)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just visited this campus while at a conference for research in Orlando! It went from my top 5 to my number 1! Hoping to get some OOS love! :xf:

This is one of my favorite schools in the state. UCF is awesome, definitely applying here. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another Florida resident, one of my top choices

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone has the rest of the prompt from last year can they post it or PM me, with the character limits and last remaining questions, trying to get some pre-writing done

1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.

2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below “B minus”, or course withdrawals.

3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.

4) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believe that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (2 pages, single spaced)

I think there were some other short questions about describing any new activities involving community outreach, leadership, research, etc.

@REL do you know the real reason why UCF got rid of the committee/composite letter for the undergrads and replaced it with a letter packet?

If anyone has the rest of the prompt from last year can they post it or PM me, with the character limits and last remaining questions, trying to get some pre-writing done

I think there were some other short questions about describing any new activities involving community outreach, leadership, research, etc.
Is #4 going to be the same? 2 pages single spaced? That is long!

@REL do you know the real reason why UCF got rid of the committee/composite letter for the undergrads and replaced it with a letter packet?
They had two separate pre-health offices that worked fine prior to the coming of the MD program. Once the MD program arrived the enrollment in the areas of interest in the pre-med area grew rapidly. While both offices did a good job, it was repetitive in some ways. The UCF leadership decided that there should be one office to support all pre-health, as such the offices were merged. Changes like this take a little time and they are still hiring for various positions to include office leadership as far as I know. Of course they are also streamlining the process for supporting students with letter of evaluation support etc. Based on monies and management it makes some sense for the overall university with the strong growth in the health careers interest at UCF.

Is #4 going to be the same? 2 pages single spaced? That is long!

You don't have to write a full two pages (unless they state otherwise). Looking back on my own application, I see that I did write that much, but I remember appreciating all the free space. When you write specific essays for others schools you'll start to remember things you'd like to say to all schools even if they don't ask for those responses specifically. You can merge those things into these large free spaces if you are having trouble filling them and want to provide as much info as possible. Just be sure to do so gracefully so it doesn't look like an effortless cut and paste from other secondaries - that may be viewed as negative. It doesn't have to be a woven masterpiece, but just make sure it's relevant and it flows. Inbox me if you struggle with it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to write a full two pages (unless they state otherwise). Looking back on my own application, I see that I did write that much, but I remember appreciating all the free space. When you write specific essays for others schools you'll start to remember things you'd like to say to all schools even if they don't ask for those responses specifically. You can merge those things into these large free spaces if you are having trouble filling them and want to provide as much info as possible. Just be sure to do so gracefully so it doesn't look like an effortless cut and paste from other secondaries - that may be viewed as negative. It doesn't have to be a woven masterpiece, but just make sure it's relevant and it flows. Inbox me if you struggle with it. Good luck!
Hey thanks for the advice!

When they say travels, do they mean stuff like mission trips? Or are vacations/school trips/other included? @REL

Last edited:
Anyone else get a secondary? I haven't received one yet.

Got in. There's only 1 official essay and it's the same as last year, but the secondary is filled with Yes/No questions that may require you to explain your answer in a space below it.

Official Essay Prompt:

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believes that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.

At t his moment we have discovered some minor software issues that are being addressed by IT as we speak. I anticipate that these issues will be resolved very soon. Please email [email protected] if you experience any difficulties after 1:30pm EST today. We did release about 50 supplemental apps just to make sure that all was well. Most of you should receive the supplemental by COB tomorrow. Sorry for the difficulties.

Reactions: 1 user
At t his moment we have discovered some minor software issues that are being addressed by IT as we speak. I anticipate that these issues will be resolved very soon. Please email [email protected] if you experience any difficulties after 1:30pm EST today. We did release about 50 supplemental apps just to make sure that all was well. Most of you should receive the supplemental by COB tomorrow. Sorry for the difficulties.
Thanks for the update @REL

Has anyone else not yet received a secondary?

Nope... nothing yet

Got it! When asked to describe our anticipated coursework for the upcoming school year, should we put specific classes? Or just state full-time, graduation date, etc?

@REL, hopefully I'm not being ridiculous in asking this but just want to see what you think.. If we have a very minor typo in one of the essays, is it worth notifying admissions about?

@florida91
I found the same thing in one of my EC's. I can't believe I missed it. The consensus I see on SDN is one typo will not make or break you. I know you didn't ask me, but I like to be helpful :highfive:

@florida91
I found the same thing in one of my EC's. I can't believe I missed it. The consensus I see on SDN is one typo will not make or break you. I know you didn't ask me, but I like to be helpful :highfive:

thanks! I got the same impression, but just wasn't sure if maybe admissions would prefer me to email a corrected version anyway?

I know what you mean though. I read it over so many times and can't believe I missed that.

thanks! I got the same impression, but just wasn't sure if maybe admissions would prefer me to email a corrected version anyway?

I know what you mean though. I read it over so many times and can't believe I missed that.

I agree with the consensus.......

How detailed should the academic course for upcoming year be? Should we put course code and credit hour also?

So we should not just list the courses we're taking? I just said "During the fall semester I will be taking blah, blah, blah, and blah. During the spring semester...."

I had to take 7 online courses to complete my BSN because they were not offered on campus. Is there a limit of online classes one could take?
Course were completely online, but were essay based, not test based (although there were occasional online quizs).

Secondary submitted, LoR's sent, payment process.... Now time to do your part REL
Send acceptance! :claps:

I had to take 7 online courses to complete my BSN because they were not offered on campus. Is there a limit of online classes one could take?
Course were completely online, but were essay based, not test based (although there were occasional online quizs).
Just so everyone has the benefit of the answer:
Per an email from REL "No, you should be fine with a vast majority in the class room."

Where did you guys get the link for the secondary? Email?

Hey everyone, if I take the Sept 12th MCAT and get my scores in October, and it ends up being lets say a 32 or something, would it be too late for me to have a chance at UCF? Assuming I get my primary app in this month and am just waiting on my MCAT. My GPA and EC's are good.

Hey everyone, if I take the Sept 12th MCAT and get my scores in October, and it ends up being lets say a 32 or something, would it be too late for me to have a chance at UCF? Assuming I get my primary app in this month and am just waiting on my MCAT. My GPA and EC's are good.
Get verified as soon as you can with UCF. But no one is complete yet, as UCF hasn't started checking LoR yet and plans to review in Aug.

Last edited:
Where did you guys get the link for the secondary? Email?
Yes it came in an email, you won't get one if your app hasn't been verified yet if I understood correctly. They do filter by GPA and MCat, but its rather low at 3.0 and 24, so most will get secondaries.

Thank you! I haven't got my MCAT score yet so that might be why!

Can anyone post the prompts for this year's secondaries?

Is an 8 for verbal going to screen me out?

Is an 8 for verbal going to screen me out?
An 8 for verbal will not screen you out. I got accepted here with a 9 in verbal, which isn't really any better than an 8 IMO. That could be just a difference in one question, or perhaps you're actually better at that part than me and I had a good day and you had a bad day.