2014-2015 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@REL
How is waitlist movement looking for OOS students?

Members don't see this ad.

Lower half of middle third here. I don't know whether I should start the new AMCAS app. I might just risk it and wait and see what this next month brings. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@REL
How about in-state acceptances from the upper half of middle third? Your email said to expect to hear late last week to early this week. Has movement unexpectedly slowed?

Lower half of middle third here. I don't know whether I should start the new AMCAS app. I might just risk it and wait and see what this next month brings. :(

Go for it. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst is my motto. Being in a situation where you didn't reapply and didn't good in would be even harder =/. If you reapply and get in though, which I hope you do, at least you'll have all bases covered.

@REL
How about in-state acceptances from the upper half of middle third? Your email said to expect to hear late last week to early this week. Has movement unexpectedly slowed?
I still think it is only a matter of time for this group and on into the lower of the middle 1/3 too. Right now seats are turning over more slowly, and we are also in a cycle now of issueing several acceptances, giving 10 days to make a decision, and repeat. Several decisions are due early next week, some will stay, some will go. Numbers in each cycle will generally diminish as some stay. But also note that we are not into June yet, here is still time....in the past two years there was precious little movement in July however.

Reactions: 1 users
I still think it is only a matter of time for this group and on into the lower of the middle 1/3 too. Right now seats are turning over more slowly, and we are also in a cycle now of issueing several acceptances, giving 10 days to make a decision, and repeat. Several decisions are due early next week, some will stay, some will go. Numbers in each cycle will generally diminish as some stay. But also note that we are not into June yet, here is still time....in the past two years there was precious little movement in July however.

Do you think this will hold true for OOS acceptances as well?

Just got a call from Laurel! Accepted from top half middle 1/3 OOS. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!!

Reactions: 3 users
Any recent IS acceptances?

What estimate were you given for when you'd be accepted? REL said there are multiple IS people considering so it should be soon.

Is there any way to find out where we are on the list within our category? I'm in the upper middle third and have been moved to the alternate list. My email indicated I might be called well over a week ago. I also have not started the new AMCAS. Any advice???

I'm in Telemachus's boat, with the emails. I'm overjoyed that acceptance could come any day, but just like everyone else waiting is hard. However, UCF is worth the wait.

Do we know if there's one acceptance wave or multiple ones. So is there one batch of people in the 10 day acceptance cycle or multiple staggered groups?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to find out where we are on the list within our category? I'm in the upper middle third and have been moved to the alternate list. My email indicated I might be called well over a week ago. I also have not started the new AMCAS. Any advice???
There is no way to determine your exact position, but if you have been placed on the alternate list that means that we believe that an offer is not far away. Because we, like you, are now a slave to the decisions of others we cannot absolutely pinpoint when you will be made an offer. Suffice it to say that history tends to repeat itself with the waitlist, so if a program is paying attention they can project the likelihood of your acceptance (if they actually have a structured process). So short answer, I still feel strongly that all upper middle 1/3 will receive an offer -- the timing is the only unknown. Also, when any program puts you on the Alernate List it tells AMCAS to have Certiphi start the background check process if you have not already received an acceptance elsewhere.

There is no way to determine your exact position, but if you have been placed on the alternate list that means that we believe that an offer is not far away. Because we, like you, are now a slave to the decisions of others we cannot absolutely pinpoint when you will be made an offer. Suffice it to say that history tends to repeat itself with the waitlist, so if a program is paying attention they can project the likelihood of your acceptance (if they actually have a structured process). So short answer, I still feel strongly that all upper middle 1/3 will receive an offer -- the timing is the only unknown. Also, when any program puts you on the Alernate List it tells AMCAS to have Certiphi start the background check process if you have not already received an acceptance elsewhere.

Thanks, REL

Not Accepted yet, but can anyone shed light on where students live? It seems so expensive for all the apartments in the surrounding area and once you start looking a little farther out the costs of the toll roads seem to add up quickly.

Not Accepted yet, but can anyone shed light on where students live? It seems so expensive for all the apartments in the surrounding area and once you start looking a little farther out the costs of the toll roads seem to add up quickly.

From what we were told at Second Look, most students live at either Watermark or the Retreat, but others are scattered all over Lake Nona (at other apartment complexes and in houses) and even a few who commute from outside of Lake Nona.

Got the call today! IS upper 1/6 of middle 1/3. Go knights! Now to find a place to live.. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Got the call today! IS upper 1/6 of middle 1/3. Go knights! Now to find a place to live.. :)

Congrats!!! How did you know you're upper 1/6? Were you told on the call?? I'm happy for you. :)

Congrats!!! How did you know you're upper 1/6? Were you told on the call?? I'm happy for you. :)

My may status update from REL said where I was, so I was using that as a reference!

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing :)

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing :)

Same. I'm getting nervous, though. I just looked at last year's thread and saw that someone from the lower 1/2 of middle 1/3 - IS - got an acceptance the last week of May.

Last edited:
I'm more stoic than nervous. REL still has confidence that the waitlist will continue moving and I believe him. Likely, with the increased number of applicants this year compared to other years and the change in timelines the statistics/exact trend will be off, but there are probably still multiple people in that 10 day acceptance decision window.

Last edited:
Making an offer on a townhome today and officially relocating to Orlando with my fiancee. Hopefully an offer of acceptance comes soon :) If not I'll try again next year, but it would be a dream come true not having to wait another year.

Has anyone heard how the wait list is moving? Are we just relying on people dropping their spots or is there still some that have been offered acceptance and are now in that 10 day window? Is there any hope for the middle third?

I was recently accecpted and only was allowed 5 days to decide. upper middle third

Great news Telemachus, when did they call you?

@REL Are there still Florida residents that are in the process of making a decision between UCF and another program?

@REL I have a similar question to MD Hopeful. Is it 5 consecutive days or 5 business days that the applicants have to make a decision by if offered acceptance? Also, are there any pending offers from UCF right now or did the applicants accept? Thank you for your time.

@REL I have a similar question to MD Hopeful. Is it 5 consecutive days or 5 business days that the applicants have to make a decision by if offered acceptance? Also, are there any pending offers from UCF right now or did the applicants accept? Thank you for your time.
As it turns out as of Friday there are no offers pending. So I do not know if we are done or if there will be some late offers to come. This still pretty early to be done so I suspect another move or two????

As it turns out as of Friday there are no offers pending. So I do not know if we are done or if there will be some late offers to come. This still pretty early to be done so I suspect another move or two????
@REL Is there any chance that if you weren't placed on the alternate list to get an acceptance?

@REL Is there any chance that if you weren't placed on the alternate list to get an acceptance?
There are still a handful on the Alternate List, two have other acceptances. That means that the others do not appear to have an acceptance. I would have to assume that any offers to come, if any, would not get beyond those on the Alternate List.

I'm applying to UCF this upcoming cycle and was wondering if anybody had any experience getting the English requirement waived. I have AP credit for two semesters of English and I know on their website they indicate that they expect additional coursework in a subject if you use AP credit. If anybody did not have this requirement, did they make you take English before you matriculated or were you able to get it waived?

I'm applying to UCF this upcoming cycle and was wondering if anybody had any experience getting the English requirement waived. I have AP credit for two semesters of English and I know on their website they indicate that they expect additional coursework in a subject if you use AP credit. If anybody did not have this requirement, did they make you take English before you matriculated or were you able to get it waived?
I am not sure about UCF in particular, but I am pretty sure almost all schools require you to have taken your English requirement at the university level, no high-school or community college credit. However, even if they made you take it before you matriculated, it shouldn't affect your application much that you haven't taken it. It's not like you haven't taken Bio 2, it's just english

@fawkes94 I am currently matriculated and taking classes at the UCF COM. I did not take a single english class as i took AP classes for them. I also never took Bio 2 because I took AP credit with me. I think the rule of thumb is that if you have taken upper level courses in a certain area than youre good for anything below. So if you have taken any type of liberal arts courses (which i think most schools require it for graduation) than you should be fine