You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Central Florida Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
@REL, do you have any idea when the next waitlist update will go out? Thanks!
The last post by REL about the next waitlist update suggests it will be early April at the earliest. So I'm assuming we should be receiving one soon.
Hopefully by the end of this week.

The last post by REL about the next waitlist update suggests it will be early April at the earliest. So I'm assuming we should be receiving one soon.
Hopefully by the end of this week.![]()
Thanks! I hope so...I am getting so antsy now

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The next wait list email will look suspicious like the last one. Remember that we, like most programs over-book our class, that means that we will let the class attrit down to having an opening (ie. down to 119) before we will activate the list. April is a very slow month as applicants are making decisions and have until the end of this month to cut down to one. All that being said, I do expect the waitlist to move at the end of this month. I will send out an update in a day or two.Thanks! I hope so...I am getting so antsy now![]()
Last edited:
The next wait list email will look suspicious like the last one. Remember that we, like most programs over-book our class, that means that we will let the class attrit down to having an opening (ie. down to 119) before we will activate the list. April is a very slow month as applicants are making decisions and have until the end of this month to cut down to one. All that being said, I do expect the waitlist to move at the end of this month. I will send out an update in a day or two.
Thank you so much REL 🙂 Crossing my fingers that I don't move down the list!
You should include how many people have withdrawn thus far in the update 🙂 Calm our nerves a bit 🙂 But on a more serious note, do you expect the people in the top half of the top one third to be accepted on or one to two days before April 30th? I see on sdn that that is what happened last year. Thanks!The next wait list email will look suspicious like the last one. Remember that we, like most programs over-book our class, that means that we will let the class attrit down to having an opening (ie. down to 119) before we will activate the list. April is a very slow month as applicants are making decisions and have until the end of this month to cut down to one. All that being said, I do expect the waitlist to move at the end of this month. I will send out an update in a day or two.
I just would like to add that I'm very grateful, as I'm sure others are too, that UCF keeps us informed. For some schools you'll never know your spot on the waitlist. I can't imagine how never racking that would be if UCF did that.
Did you receive this month's update yet?
You should include how many people have withdrawn thus far in the update 🙂 Calm our nerves a bit 🙂 But on a more serious note, do you expect the people in the top half of the top one third to be accepted on or one to two days before April 30th? I see on sdn that that is what happened last year. Thanks!
Remember that there is one change this year. The "drop" deadline was May 15 last year and there was little movement until the very end of April. This year the drop deadline is April 30 and I do expect movement to pick up steam as we head into the end of the month. I still do predict that we will begin taking from the list at the end of this month.
@REL: I have a couple more clarification questions about the deferral process. Is it any different for waitlisted candidates that are accepted off the waitlist versus those that were accepted directly after their interview (earlier in the application cycle)? Or does UCF apply the same set of criteria to all deferral requests regardless of the timing of an applicant's acceptance/deferral request? Is there a date UCF needs to receive a deferral request by and/or what is the process of submitting it? Also, would UCF prefer to know now if someone on the waitlist hopes to defer (for one of the reasons you previously mentioned) or should they wait until they have been officially accepted? Other medical schools that I've applied to have their deferral process posted but I couldn't find information to these questions anywhere on the UCF website (my apologies if I just somehow missed the link). Thanks so much!
Why did only 74 of 120 members of this year's graduating class match? Just wondering... Like what do the others do?
Can anyone address this? It was mentioned above that the class was likely not 120 students, but what are the students who didn't match doing?
Can anyone address this? It was mentioned above that the class was likely not 120 students, but what are the students who didn't match doing?
Is this years graduating class not a full class of 120 students?
Edit: 74 out of 80 total students matched. See post #652
Right, so what did the 6 who did not match do? Why didn't they SOAP?
Oh sorry I misread the last part of your post. I do not know for sure but maybe they are taking an extra year for additional research, or to pursue an MBA or MPH degree.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any idea how many have withdrawn so far? And at least we can anxiously watch together 🙂Anxiously watching the waitlist movement.
Right, so what did the 6 who did not match do? Why didn't they SOAP?
It's possible that some of the 6 students withdrew from medical school before graduation, thus making the class size < 80. Also, someone commented about combined degree programs which may have also contributed. The point of me taking the time to comment on this is to let you all know (respectfully) that you are worrying about something very trivial. The match rate at UCF is for all intents and purposes no different than the match rate at any comparable school (remember that UCF is too new to have a US News and World report ranking, which isn't really a good ranking system anyway). If you want to be able to compare UCF with other schools, just assume its the gold and black version of UF without a formerly awesome but now pretty crappy football team. Those are some of the only differences I've noticed between the two programs.
It's possible that some of the 6 students withdrew from medical school before graduation, thus making the class size < 80. Also, someone commented about combined degree programs which may have also contributed. The point of me taking the time to comment on this is to let you all know (respectfully) that you are worrying about something very trivial. The match rate at UCF is for all intents and purposes no different than the match rate at any comparable school (remember that UCF is too new to have a US News and World report ranking, which isn't really a good ranking system anyway). If you want to be able to compare UCF with other schools, just assume its the gold and black version of UF without a formerly awesome but now pretty crappy football team. Those are some of the only differences I've noticed between the two programs.
Thanks typerguy and others who helped clear that up! I know it is nothing to freak out about just wanted to know if anyone knew what happened exactly. I love the program at UCF and am really hoping to get off of the waitlist like many others on here!
This is the first graduating class where no one withdrew. Most took a year off for research or to tend to family matters.Thanks typerguy and others who helped clear that up! I know it is nothing to freak out about just wanted to know if anyone knew what happened exactly. I love the program at UCF and am really hoping to get off of the waitlist like many others on here!
@REL
I remember you had mentioned that medical schools who accept students from the waitlist after April 30th must give them a minimum of 5 days to either accept or decline their offer. What are the traffic rules for medical schools who accept students after April 25th (eg. less than 5 business days until the April 30th deadline). For instance, if I am accepted into a school from the waitlist on April 28th, do I still have until April 30th to hold onto one acceptance?
I remember you had mentioned that medical schools who accept students from the waitlist after April 30th must give them a minimum of 5 days to either accept or decline their offer. What are the traffic rules for medical schools who accept students after April 25th (eg. less than 5 business days until the April 30th deadline). For instance, if I am accepted into a school from the waitlist on April 28th, do I still have until April 30th to hold onto one acceptance?
You are allowed at least 14 days from October to April 30, then a minimum of 5 days after April 30....schools can begin to reduce the 5 days as they get closer to the start date of the program. So if you received an offer on April 28 you have a minimum of 14 days before you must render your decision if you have multiple programs. This also means that if you received an offer on April 28 and another on May 2, you might have to render a final decision on the second offer before the first offer.@REL
I remember you had mentioned that medical schools who accept students from the waitlist after April 30th must give them a minimum of 5 days to either accept or decline their offer. What are the traffic rules for medical schools who accept students after April 25th (eg. less than 5 business days until the April 30th deadline). For instance, if I am accepted into a school from the waitlist on April 28th, do I still have until April 30th to hold onto one acceptance?
just officially withdrew from my other schools! wooo UCF!
congrats on your acceptance. Are you IS or OOS for UCF?
congrats on your acceptance. Are you IS or OOS for UCF?
in state!
What exactly is the process of withdrawing from other schools? did you just send them an email thanking them for the offer? (not sure how to go about it, but definitely appreciating being able to do so)just officially withdrew from my other schools! wooo UCF!
just officially withdrew from my other schools! wooo UCF!
Same here. Easiest decision ever.
What exactly is the process of withdrawing from other schools? did you just send them an email thanking them for the offer? (not sure how to go about it, but definitely appreciating being able to do so)
I sent emails. But you can call as well. I thanked each school for the opportunity and time
What exactly is the process of withdrawing from other schools? did you just send them an email thanking them for the offer? (not sure how to go about it, but definitely appreciating being able to do so)
agree with azngujuonfire. I sent very polite emails saying that I was honored to have been accepted, (which I really was!) but after thinking long and hard, I had decided a different school was a better fit. and thanked them again.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! I hope to be joining you soon, April 30th can't come soon enough!!! (Hopefully...)just officially withdrew from my other schools! wooo UCF!
@REL
Do the scholarship funds raised by the Med School Classic go towards offering gift aid to next year's (class of 2020) incoming M1's?
Also just curious, is it possible for gift aid to increase between now and matriculation, or from year to year? Overall UCF COM does a tremendous job of finding donors and raising money to offer to its incoming students!
Do the scholarship funds raised by the Med School Classic go towards offering gift aid to next year's (class of 2020) incoming M1's?
Also just curious, is it possible for gift aid to increase between now and matriculation, or from year to year? Overall UCF COM does a tremendous job of finding donors and raising money to offer to its incoming students!
Those monies go into a general scholarship fund to maintain monies for students as we go. It is one of many resources that we combine for funding gift aid to our students. Our mission is not only to educate in the program, but also to educate in the use of finances and debt reduction.@REL
Do the scholarship funds raised by the Med School Classic go towards offering gift aid to next year's (class of 2020) incoming M1's?
Also just curious, is it possible for gift aid to increase between now and matriculation, or from year to year? Overall UCF COM does a tremendous job of finding donors and raising money to offer to its incoming students!
@REL will the wait list forsure move by April 30th or is that an unknown?
Does anyone know roughly how many students are on the waitlist? I think I read somewhere that in previous years there were about 60 in each third for a total of 180...is that about correct?
I think REL told us in our second to last email update. I think it was close to 180, maybe a little moreDoes anyone know roughly how many students are on the waitlist? I think I read somewhere that in previous years there were about 60 in each third for a total of 180...is that about correct?
191 to be exactI think REL told us in our second to last email update. I think it was close to 180, maybe a little more
Me...Who else is feeling super anxious today??
Anxious is an understatement. There has been so little news compared to last year around May 15th. My nerves are kicking in!
Last year people were already getting off the waitlist two days before the deadline so who knows whats going on....Anxious is an understatement. There has been so little news compared to last year around May 15th. My nerves are kicking in!
Any last minute burning questions can be sent my way if you want a students perspective! Good luck everyone! FYI starring at your phone will not make them call faster go do something! have fun!
We're getting close, but so is April 30 --- so I guess that this means all is on target.......upper half of upper 1/3 getting called near deadline, lower half of upper 1/3 prob 2nd half of May and very early June....Last year people were already getting off the waitlist two days before the deadline so who knows whats going on....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We're getting close, but so is April 30 --- so I guess that this means all is on target.......upper half of upper 1/3 getting called near deadline, lower half of upper 1/3 prob 2nd half of May and very early June....
Oh snap. Looking at last year's thread it seemed like those in both the upper and lower third heard back within two weeks after May 15 and then it moved to the middle third by end of May and early June. Since the deadline is 2 weeks earlier this year, doesn't that mean everyone will hear a little earlier than those in their spot last year heard back?
Or judging by what you see so far, @REL, those in the middle third, especially bottom half of middle third, will have low chances this year...
Shout out to all the other people in the upper half of the upper one third patiently waiting by their phones! Right there with ya!
I'm making sure I'm staying in a section of the library that gives my phone full signal...hahaShout out to all the other people in the upper half of the upper one third patiently waiting by their phones! Right there with ya!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K