You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Hawaii Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats!IS accepted! Good luck to everyone
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck. I'm guessing 9 more days until the notifications go out.Almost mid-March 😱
http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/uh-medical-school-ranked-19-in-the-u-s-in-primary-care/
This was from a couple days ago. JABSOM has moved up in the rankings for primary care, now ranked 19th in the nation.
This was from a couple days ago. JABSOM has moved up in the rankings for primary care, now ranked 19th in the nation.
Congratulations on your acceptance! Did they call you about the decision?IS applicant accepted today. Last interview was early January. Good luck everyone. [emoji106]
No. It was an email notification 🙂Congratulations on your acceptance! Did they call you about the decision?
[emoji106]No. It was an email notification 🙂
A few more days
......
......IS accepted this morning at 8:49am HAST!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats. See you in July? It's the 50th anniversary of JABSOM. There's gonna be a gala event the day after the white coat ceremony.IS accepted this morning at 8:49am HAST!
Congrats. See you in July? It's the 50th anniversary of JABSOM. There's gonna be a gala event the day after the white coat ceremony.
Oh yeah, should probably look into their calendar once I stop hyperventilating.
Sounds fun! I'll definitely want to check it out!
OOS waitlisted at 12 noon PST. Anyone familiar with rough chances of OOS applicants sneaking in off wait list?
It varies from year to year, but @ChemicallyUnstable posted in last year's thread that he got in off the wait list as an OOS.OOS waitlisted at 12 noon PST. Anyone familiar with rough chances of OOS applicants sneaking in off wait list?
thanks!It varies from year to year, but @ChemicallyUnstable posted in last year's thread that he got in off the wait list as an OOS.
IS accepted at 12:55 Pacific time!
Congrats!IS accepted at 12:55 Pacific time!
IS waitlisted at 11:05am HST.
Best of luck guys!OOS waitlisted at 12 noon PST. Anyone familiar with rough chances of OOS applicants sneaking in off wait list?
Last edited:
Congrats on getting wait listed. There has been IS waitlist movements in past years, so it's not over.IS waitlisted at 11:05am HST.
You apply to 'Imi Ho'ola? Or any other medical schools?
For those of you who have been accepted, congrats! When do you have to make a decision by?
By April 30th by the AMCAS traffic rulesFor those of you who have been accepted, congrats! When do you have to make a decision by?
The email said that we have to submit a decision to them by April 6.For those of you who have been accepted, congrats! When do you have to make a decision by?
From past years, the emails trickled in throughout the day, but did not follow a particular order. Some did not receive an email until the early evening.do they normally send out acceptance/waitlist then rejections
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for clarification. I hope you hear something tonight too.From past years, the emails trickled in throughout the day, but did not follow a particular order. Some did not receive an email until the early evening.
*toThanks for clarification. I hope you hear something tonight too.
Thanks @MushuS91, I'm good.Thanks for clarification. I hope you hear something tonight too.
haha thanks for restoring some hope... and congrats on your acceptance!From past years, the emails trickled in throughout the day, but did not follow a particular order. Some did not receive an email until the early evening.
A friend of mine just got an acceptance email, and her last name starts with a letter early in the alphabet, so I don't think there is a particular organization to the notifications. They just get sent out randomly (?) today.haha thanks for restoring some hope... and congrats on your acceptance!
Last edited:
Thanks!The email said that we have to submit a decision to them by April 6.
anddddddd rejected. Kinda of bummed. Congrats for those who got accepted and good luck for everyone else...
\
\
Im in state mcat >31 plenty research and clinical experience . Caucasian not raised in Hawaii, feel that was the biggest drawback. Very curious to hear the feedback on my application. Is just kinda of hard to just get a straight rejection after so much time an effort put in. Sometimes is just the way it goes .... Try again next cycleRejected too OOS
Was sort of expecting this, but had a great time in Hawaii so thanks JABSOM for giving me the opportunity to spend time in Hawaii!
Im in state mcat >31 plenty research and clinical experience . Caucasian not raised in Hawaii, feel that was the biggest drawback. Very curious to hear the feedback on my application. Is just kinda of hard to just get a straight rejection after so much time an effort put in. Sometimes is just the way it goes .... Try again next cycle
Honestly just don't give up, I've gone through many cycles before I finally got an acceptance
Really sorry to hear this. Your stats sound great. I have often heard that it's not about the numbers at JABSOM. I think that's true to a point, you need the numbers to pass the academic screen. But then there is a lot of weight placed on the interviews and connection to the state and community.Im in state mcat >31 plenty research and clinical experience . Caucasian not raised in Hawaii, feel that was the biggest drawback. Very curious to hear the feedback on my application. Is just kinda of hard to just get a straight rejection after so much time an effort put in. Sometimes is just the way it goes .... Try again next cycle
A friend of mine, who is also caucasian, just got in with similar stats (3.7/33). JABSOM has a small enrollment, only 68 for the incoming class. I've heard that this year had a very large amount of applicants as well, because so many opted to take the MCAT last year, before the change. It was a tough cycle to apply anywhere.
Did you apply to 'Imi Ho'ola?
Anybody still waiting to hear back? Getting really late here on the west coast but I can't sleep!
I have a friend who is still waiting to hear as well. Good luck.Anybody still waiting to hear back? Getting really late here on the west coast but I can't sleep!
Still waiting...Anybody still waiting to hear back? Getting really late here on the west coast but I can't sleep!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
I'm sorry that this has been your experience. I certainly am not a private school graduate. I'm a nontrad native Hawaiian that spent 13 years as a fire fighter/paramedic in Hawaii. I grew up in poverty, spent time in foster care, and am a first generation college graduate.No, I honestly believe that they have a bias towards asians-hawaiian people, I have in the past discussed the subject with a couple with my professors and they felt like that. Someone told me ( not real data verified from me ) that over 80 % of the students matriculate to Jabsom graduate from punahou or other private school and either have doctors in their family who can use as a connection. Is just sad that in 2015 racism in a light scale still happens,all of my interviews were asians descendent, one of my professors told me that these interviewees are more likely to connect with people that are more like them, since they can see themselves or their friends or family . Anyways, this is just speculation. I am minority (native American) and thought thatn Jabsom mission " Diversity and Inclusion: Respect for the entire spectrum of human experienc" was real. In the end is all politics
I made it a mission to encourage the pursuit of medicine while in EMS, because of the impact of the physician shortage that I was seeing first hand in the community. After a while I realized that medicine was a passion for me as well, something I hadn't considered because I didn't know any Hawaiian physicians while growing up. We still only make up 4% of the working physicians in the state of Hawaii.
Not all of my interviewers were Asian, and my friend and former EMS partner is an in state Caucasian who was also notified of his acceptance early. The students I know at JABSOM are very diverse, Hawaiian, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, Samoan, Indian, Korean, and many Caucasians.
I hope that you will consider JABSOM in the future, if you aren't matriculating elsewhere this cycle. I think it's a great school.
Is there a facebook group for the class of 2019? I'd like to meet future classmates/roommates 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K

