You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Were you given any status before II? Very interested, may, further, etc.?Well I just got an II after being complete since July 12th. For anyone wondering...they have a ton of interview dates to choose from. The earliest was September 9th. Do not give up hope guys.
I have been sitting on "Very interested" for over a week
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that man. I'm guessing they didn't want you because you had them scared to death, scared to look. One could say you had them "shook."Rejected just now. It's been swell guys. We're all gonna make it
Well I just got an II after being complete since July 12th. For anyone wondering...they have a ton of interview dates to choose from. The earliest was September 9th. Do not give up hope guys.
That's awesome, congrats.
For those who are familiar - are people with the "MAY" status only getting dates that are further out in the cycle? I've been hearing things like January, February...
Sorry to hear that man. I'm guessing they didn't want you because you had them scared to death, scared to look. One could say you had them "shook."
LMAO...I don't think a lot of people on here listen to Mobb Deep...this cycle has been a "Quiet Storm"
I couldn't resist, dude's sdn handle is halfwaycrooks! But between you and him, I've encountered way more Mobb Deep fans than I ever thought I would on SDN haha.LMAO...I don't think a lot of people on here listen to Mobb Deep...this cycle has been a "Quiet Storm"
Sorry to hear that man. I'm guessing they didn't want you because you had them scared to death, scared to look. One could say you had them "shook."
I had to sign into SDN just to like this
Was anybody rejected with the message "The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that you consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application?" Is that code for "your GPA is awful?" I was rejected soon after submitting my secondary and am trying to figure out why I wasn't screened out pre-secondary.
Sorry to hear that. I think it's probably just a default rejection message and it could be for a variety of reasons.Was anybody rejected with the message "The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that you consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application?" Is that code for "your GPA is awful?" I was rejected soon after submitting my secondary and am trying to figure out why I wasn't screened out pre-secondary.
MAY status today, after being complete since 7/9 or 10! Has anyone with a MAY status not gotten an invite thus far? I'm on my phone so searching is hard :/ any help would be awesome!
MAY status today, after being complete since 7/9 or 10! Has anyone with a MAY status not gotten an invite thus far? I'm on my phone so searching is hard :/ any help would be awesome!
Been MAY for almost three weeks now and still waiting for that fabled II...
Been MAY for almost three weeks now and still waiting for that fabled II...
Good to know. Thanks!! I hope you get one soon!
MAY status today, after being complete since 7/9 or 10! Has anyone with a MAY status not gotten an invite thus far? I'm on my phone so searching is hard :/ any help would be awesome!
Plenty of MAY people reported IIs! Don't think there's a set pattern to this, though.
I've been at "very interested" for a month now. Oh, the irony. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@hellanutella @sunflower18 I have the MAY status as well after waiting over a month. I think we shouldn't worry about VCU and just focus on the interviews we already have scheduled. Just a thought.
@hellanutella @sunflower18 I have the MAY status as well after waiting over a month. I think we shouldn't worry about VCU and just focus on the interviews we already have scheduled. Just a thought.
I agree completely. I was inquiring for other reasons. Sorry about the misunderstanding!
Last edited:
Does anybody have any opinions as to whether or not my letters of recommendation will be accepted if I have one from a biology, physics, and math professor? I'm worried about the "non-science" requirement.
What "non-science" requirement? I don't see them asking for any specific combination of letters?Does anybody have any opinions as to whether or not my letters of recommendation will be accepted if I have one from a biology, physics, and math professor? I'm worried about the "non-science" requirement.
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/audience/documents/Letters of Recommendation Instructions 2013.pdf
What "non-science" requirement? I don't see them asking for any specific combination of letters?
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/audience/documents/Letters of Recommendation Instructions 2013.pdf
Thank you for that link! I must have misread a post earlier in the thread.
No worries, your letters are fine. Good luck! 👍Thank you for that link! I must have misread a post earlier in the thread.
If URM. Otherwise that seems on the low side.
Worth applying here? 3.5/28 OOS. Pretty solid EC's.
@hellanutella @sunflower18 I have the MAY status as well after waiting over a month. I think we shouldn't worry about VCU and just focus on the interviews we already have scheduled. Just a thought.
Truth.
I guess the moral of the story is to not read too much into these statuses. Best of luck with your other apps and hope IIs make their way to all you folks still waiting (especially for those waiting on their first II)!

Was anybody rejected with the message "The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that you consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application?" Is that code for "your GPA is awful?" I was rejected soon after submitting my secondary and am trying to figure out why I wasn't screened out pre-secondary.
There could be a one of a number of reasons why you were rejected. It's not necessarily because your GPA is awful. You can try contacting Dr. Whitehurst-Cook. I know the message says that the committee does not offer reasons but sometimes if you inquire personally she may give you an idea about why. This is also more likely if you live nearby and schedule an meeting with her.
I got the MAY status on 8/10 and haven't heard anything since! I'm tempted to callMAY status today, after being complete since 7/9 or 10! Has anyone with a MAY status not gotten an invite thus far? I'm on my phone so searching is hard :/ any help would be awesome!
I added VCU on the 19th and got an email from them saying they screen. How long did it take for you guys to get the secondary after the initial email?
It only took them 2 days for mine so probably not very long.I added VCU on the 19th and got an email from them saying they screen. How long did it take for you guys to get the secondary after the initial email?
My first II! And at my top choice school too!
Had my secondary completed early August, got FURTHER status about 3 weeks after that, then interview invite about a week after that. No dates for September, but plenty available from October onward.
Had my secondary completed early August, got FURTHER status about 3 weeks after that, then interview invite about a week after that. No dates for September, but plenty available from October onward.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first II! And at my top choice school too!
Had my secondary completed early August, got FURTHER status about 3 weeks after that, then interview invite about a week after that. No dates for September, but plenty available from October onward.
Stats? If you don't mind.
I submitted my secondary on 7/20, and I still have not been notified of my app being "forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review". So it's been a month & ten days.. Not sure what to do about this.
All you can do is wait it out like everyone else.I submitted my secondary on 7/20, and I still have not been notified of my app being "forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review". So it's been a month & ten days.. Not sure what to do about this.
Seems like it's been awhile since any MAY statuses have heard anything. Only ii's recently seem to have gone to FURTHER statuses...
+1 since 7/13...don't complain too much peeps at least you have received a status change. sitting at 7 weeks, and nothing..so you are better off than some of us 🙂
Still no secondary.....so don't feel bad! Haha+1 since 7/13...
+1 since 7/13...
+2 since 7/2
Trying to prep for my interview.... anyone have an idea of what type of questions to expect? I read through all posts in this one to see, and I haven't seen any info yet! Interview scheduled for Oct. 1st.
I'd suggest looking through last years thread. It will probably have more insight!Trying to prep for my interview.... anyone have an idea of what type of questions to expect? I read through all posts in this one to see, and I haven't seen any info yet! Interview scheduled for Oct. 1st.
If anyone has any specific questions before your interview here at VCU (that you can't find out from google) feel free to send me a private message. I am a current medical student here and would be happy to offer some insight to the interview process and school in general.
Last edited:
Rejected after 8 weeks of "under review" statuses, OOS, 3.5, 33
II! First! Got MAY status like a week ago
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 feelsbadmanRejected this morning after the "almost rejection" status last week. 😢
Rejected after 8 weeks of "under review" statuses, OOS, 3.5, 33
This worries me 🙁 Sorry to hear that