2014-2015 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to Wayne State. 3.6cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 31MCAT. I only have 30 hours hospital volunteering, but I got 1 publication from my 2 years of research. Only 20 hours shadowing though. Hopefully everyone makes it in though!

Just wanted to say, good luck y'all <3

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really hoping to attend next year....

Hey everyone, I just finished my M2 year at Wayne, so will be starting 3rd year after the Step. Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer them. Good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone, I just finished my M2 year at Wayne, so will be starting 3rd year after the Step. Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer them. Good luck to everyone!
How do you like the Detroit area? Is living there as bad as the 'stereotypes' or is it a lot different? I'm applying here in state but not sure how I feel about living there... of course if I get an interview and enjoy the atmosphere that would be a different story!

How do you like the Detroit area? Is living there as bad as the 'stereotypes' or is it a lot different? I'm applying here in state but not sure how I feel about living there... of course if I get an interview and enjoy the atmosphere that would be a different story!
I am a non-traditional student who lives in the suburbs south of Detroit, about a 20 minute drive away (and I avoid most of the traffic during rush hour going to and from the school, since most of that is north of the city). The medical campus is safe, as is the undergraduate campus. There are definitely areas you wouldn't want to go alone near the school/hospitals, and don't wander around alone at night obviously, but I haven't heard of any real issues aside from cars being broken into, phones and the like being stolen, etc. Cars are a lot more secure in the paid lots, since the vast majority of issues people have had with cars is when they have tried to avoid paying for parking and found a spot on a street nearby.

I have lived in the communities south of Detroit my whole life, so I have no issues with the area in general.

Most students live in Royal Oak (a suburb north of Detroit about a 15 minute drive without traffic, a TON more with heavy traffic in bad weather) or in Detroit, either downtown or right near the med school (midtown). There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but in general, people like wherever they live. A lot of the bad stereotypes of Detroit do not apply to the Midtown or Downtown areas. These areas are generally safe, have active police patrol, don't have dozens of burned-out houses per block, etc. In that way, the areas you will be, Downtown and Midtown, are essentially a different city than the rest of Detroit.

I wouldn't be too concerned about living in Detroit. First, you don't have to live down there if you don't want to, as many live in the suburbs and commute in. Second, the areas around the school are safe. Third, there is no better place to learn medicine in your clinical years. Detroit has so much unique pathology as a function of the problems the city has that you will see things here that are almost never seen in most other parts of the country (per multiple clinical physicians who have given us lectures). All in all, as annoying as some of the administrative issues and pre-clinical organization can be, I am glad I am here and not at another school. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

Reactions: 4 users
So do you commute to school? If I'm lucky enough to attend Wayne I'll be commuting as well since I can live at home. How were your undergrad stats? How were your first two years there? Over/underwhelming or just right? Thank you :)

So do you commute to school? If I'm lucky enough to attend Wayne I'll be commuting as well since I can live at home. How were your undergrad stats? How were your first two years there? Over/underwhelming or just right? Thank you :)
I do commute. It is about a 20 minute drive most of the time, 30 if there is heavy traffic, to and from school. My undergrad stats were really good when I graduated, then dropped some when I took the pre-reqs as an informal post-bac student, then dropped more when I took Clac 2 and 3 toward a biochemistry degree for my job before I finally applied.

Overall I would say the first two years went well. The material was a lot easier conceptually than I expected, but more volume than I expected. It was definitely doable though. I also made plenty of time for my family, and my grades reflect that fact; I passed all my courses though and didn't have to re-mediate anything, so I didn't unbalance myself that much. It really depends on you, as far as whether it is over/underwhelming or just right, and what you want. If you just hope to pass, you probably will be able to have a life outside of school, but some people struggle just to pass. If you want to honor everything, unless you have a photographic memory you will likely need to study all the time.

Applying OOS but I think some of Wayne State's student organizations are incredible. Would absolutely love to go here.

Does anyone know the maximum number of LORs they take? The website says they want three but it doesn't mention a maximum or optional letters.

Does anyone know the maximum number of LORs they take? The website says they want three but it doesn't mention a maximum or optional letters.

The secondary might say for sure, but I couldn't find anywhere that listed a maximum.

I think the max. LORs they take is 5-6.

I submitted 5 during last year's application

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I found in the secondary app. from last cycle.

"A statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you must submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. The Committee prefers no more than six letters. All must be submitted through AMCAS. "

I saw from last year's thread that Wayne screens pre-secondary. Do I need my LOR or is screening just based on the primary and I can submit LOR later?

Seems pretty tough for OOS students. Would being from Ohio help my chances at all?

I saw from last year's thread that Wayne screens pre-secondary. Do I need my LOR or is screening just based on the primary and I can submit LOR later?

Does anyone know what the screen is? When do secondaries go out?

Also their grade replacement policy is an absolute lifesaver, definitely one of my top choices.

I can't speak to LOR and screening but 2 years ago when I applied here OOS, I was screened out pre-secondary with a 3.5 cGPA and a 31. Don't know if this helps, but good luck all!

Hi Everyone! I just got an email from Wayne State saying that they a) have received my primary, b) prescreen applicants, c) begin to review applications the week of July 28th. So I think we're all going to have some waiting around until then.

...which is good. I looked at last year's secondary (can be found on SDN), and it's pretty clear that I have a fair amount of pre-writing to do!

Hi Everyone! I just got an email from Wayne State saying that they a) have received my primary, b) prescreen applicants, c) begin to review applications the week of July 28th. So I think we're all going to have some waiting around until then.

...which is good. I looked at last year's secondary (can be found on SDN), and it's pretty clear that I have a fair amount of pre-writing to do!

+1

I'm guessing the July 28th is the start of their secondary pre-screen right, and not the actual secondaries?

Here's all that the email said on that matter: "We prescreen applications before determining if a Secondary Application will be requested. We will begin to review applications the week of July 28. The review process can take up to 6 weeks. We thank you for your patience at this busy time of year."

Based on that phrasing, I'm gonna guess that they only start to review that week; that being said, if you fly through the pre-screen, im sure you'll get a secondary pretty promptly!

I am just going to speculate this based on my experience with Wayne's application.

So in the secondary application, Wayne requests LORs. This makes it sound like they don't look at LORs until you get to the secondary stage. It seems like the pre-secondary screening is based on other application components (i.e. MCAT, GPA, ECs).

That being said, during my own application I submitted my LORs very soon after I submitted my primary. This is all speculation on my part. The best thing still would be to call the Admissions Office right away. They are very helpful.

Is anyone else attempting to pre-write based on the last few years' essays? It seems like they change them every year, so I'm hesitant >_>

Hey guys a Canadian applicant here. Assuming I receive a secondary within the next 2 weeks and I submit shortly thereafter, do you think a 3.75 (3.65 science, 3.95 other) with a strong upward trend in science gpa (3.5 year 1 to 3.7 in year 2 to 3.9 in years 3&4) with a 34R MCAT stands a good chance for an interview.

I looked at previous years treads and noticed that out of the 600 odd international applicants, 50-60 get interviews and most get accepted.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Is anyone else attempting to pre-write based on the last few years' essays? It seems like they change them every year, so I'm hesitant >_>

I understand what you mean by being hesitant. However, you might not have to necessarily prepare full essays but you can prepare for them. For instance, you might wanna start looking up specific things about Wayne that appeal to you. This way you can answer the question "Why Wayne?" should it come up in the secondary.

Hey guys a Canadian applicant here. Assuming I receive a secondary within the next 2 weeks and I submit shortly thereafter, do you think a 3.75 (3.65 science, 3.95 other) with a strong upward trend in science gpa (3.5 year 1 to 3.7 in year 2 to 3.9 in years 3&4) with a 34R MCAT stands a good chance for an interview.

I looked at previous years treads and noticed that out of the 600 odd international applicants, 50-60 get interviews and most get accepted.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Those are quite good stats so I'd say you have a decent shot. I think the main thing you want to make sure doesn't happen is a late application.

I am also a Canadian. I first applied to Wayne two years ago and my application was complete a bit late (November). That year I didn't receive an interview.

However, I applied last year with the same GPA, MCAT, and ECs but early on. I submitted the secondary within a few days of receiving as I had prepared my answers beforehand (questions were posted here). And everything worked out the second time around.

Those are quite good stats so I'd say you have a decent shot. I think the main thing you want to make sure doesn't happen is a late application.

I am also a Canadian. I first applied to Wayne two years ago and my application was complete a bit late (November). That year I didn't receive an interview.

However, I applied last year with the same GPA, MCAT, and ECs but early on. I submitted the secondary within a few days of receiving as I had prepared my answers beforehand (questions were posted here). And everything worked out the second time around.

Thanks for the advice. Yep I plan to submit the secondary for Wayne state within 2-3 days of receiving it. I have gotten an email saying they will send out requests starting the week of the 28th.

Just out of curiosity what were your stats like? I having a feeling my GPA may not cut it although my MCAT is average.

Wow thanks for that, finally some uplifting news. But I am guessing international applicants are held to higher standards (average gpa for international interview invite is probably a lot higher than that of an American resident) no?

Well, I can't really say anything about that because I don't know. However, you could check out the 2013-2014 application thread to get the gist of what kind of stats OOS/Canadian accepted students have.

Hey everyone! Incoming M1 here. I won't be of much help to describe the school as I haven't been there yet, but interview process, how their admissions process works, your general well-being in midtown...I can answer all those things.

Personal timeline of admissions:

7/15-notified AMCAS was received
8/1-secondary received
8/2-secondary submitted
8/12-secondary received
8/28-interview offer
10/23-Acceptance

Hey everyone! Incoming M1 here. I won't be of much help to describe the school as I haven't been there yet, but interview process, how their admissions process works, your general well-being in midtown...I can answer all those things.

Personal timeline of admissions:

7/15-notified AMCAS was received
8/1-secondary received
8/2-secondary submitted
8/12-secondary received
8/28-interview offer
10/23-Acceptance
Are you IS or OOS?

Does anyone know if Wayne state gives automatic interviews to people IS who have above certain stats? just wondering. thanks!

Does anyone know if Wayne state gives automatic interviews to people IS who have above certain stats? just wondering. thanks!

Based on my experience in last year's cycle, they do not grant automatic interviews for stats above a certain threshold- I know and have met people with high stats who didn't even receive secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys who already received the secondary submit AMCAS on day 1?

Thanks, does it have to be 250 words or can it be a little less? This is in reference to last year's questions which just says words: 250-500.

I'm still waiting on an MCAT Score; that also could be reason for the delay.

Thanks, does it have to be 250 words or can it be a little less? This is in reference to last year's questions which just says words: 250-500.
Says the same thing. It says "Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters)."

I am IS btw.