You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Yale University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
@paperbackwriter, I was complete July 27 and just got an II today. I began by being floored, then started bouncing off the walls, and am now dancing on the ceiling. (I'm so happy that I live in a room without a roof! 😆) Past experience warns me that I will be asked about my LizzyM, which, if my calculations are correct, is somewhere in the low 70s. It is too much to hope, I think, that I will be accepted. . .but I'm honored by the II--and I hope that you will soon be a fellow honoree.
A little late but OMG OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope we become classmates! OH GOSH I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Closest? Bradley BDL, but no public transportation, requires 1-hr CT Limo service.What's the best/closest airport to go through to get to Yale?
LGA/JFK are the better choices with more flights and much cheaper bus service (GoShuttle or Airporter) direct to NHV or through GCT Metro-North trains.
If you fly into LGA/JFK you can take a quick cab over to grand central and take the metro north up to New Haven. Tickets are ~12 off peak. Ride is ~1.5 hoursWhat's the best/closest airport to go through to get to Yale?
Airporter is better than taxi and cheaper.If you fly into LGA/JFK you can take a quick cab over to grand central and take the metro north up to New Haven. Tickets are ~12 off peak. Ride is ~1.5 hours
The bonus is that on your train ride you get to have great view of the beautiful New England shore in the winter.If you fly into LGA/JFK you can take a quick cab over to grand central and take the metro north up to New Haven. Tickets are ~12 off peak. Ride is ~1.5 hours
Merrrr...idk if I'd call that **** beautiful..eepThe bonus is that on your train ride you get to have great view of the beautiful New England shore in the winter.
Merrrr...idk if I'd call that **** beautiful..eep
LOL!! 😀
So psyched to visit in less than two weeks!! OMG I think I'm getting rusty and I really need to get my act together -- two months of not interviewing has not been good 😉
Anyone see this? Saw a couple of my friends post pictures to fb. Yale is pretty effing awesome imo
(That's just some random stranger lol idk him and it's not me)
Med school hosts Harry Potter exhibit
(That's just some random stranger lol idk him and it's not me)
Med school hosts Harry Potter exhibit
I am just putting this out there for the universe, so that it can do with this information what it will: I loved my interview day at Yale, and I am pretty sure I would be forced to accept their offer of admission, were I fortunate enough to receive one. I love you, Yale, and with every cell and protein and molecule in my body, I hope you love me back too. 😍

Question for Yale students (or anyone who knows):
For the MD thesis, can you basically choose to do any topic/area that is being researched by Yale School of Medicine faculty or is it limited to more basic science/clinical projects (e.g., stuff like bioinformatics)?
For the MD thesis, can you basically choose to do any topic/area that is being researched by Yale School of Medicine faculty or is it limited to more basic science/clinical projects (e.g., stuff like bioinformatics)?
Last edited:
Question for Yale students (or anyone who knows):
For the MD thesis, can you basically choose to do any topic/area that are being researched by Yale School of Medicine faculty or is it limited to more basic science/clinical projects (e.g., stuff like bioinformatics)?
From my interview day, I think the Dean said you could study absolutely anything you want, even if it's not researched by a faculty member. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can literally do anything. Yale has a great medical humanities program, they're very serious about not being locked into medicine.Question for Yale students (or anyone who knows):
For the MD thesis, can you basically choose to do any topic/area that is being researched by Yale School of Medicine faculty or is it limited to more basic science/clinical projects (e.g., stuff like bioinformatics)?
http://medicine.yale.edu/humanities/
God bless you for opening a spot. Every sliver of a percentage counts. Best of luck with your final decision!Withdrawing my application here post interview. Good luck guys!
Pretty sure there is a list of much older theses online somewhere. Some of them seemed really interesting.Question for Yale students (or anyone who knows):
For the MD thesis, can you basically choose to do any topic/area that is being researched by Yale School of Medicine faculty or is it limited to more basic science/clinical projects (e.g., stuff like bioinformatics)?
are IIs still going out here?
Either I didn't notice it before or it has been recently added, but there is now lots of interesting info on the Curriculum Rebuild page. The Implementation page is particularly cool.
This caught my eye:
Also, I just looked back through last year's thread and found something interesting. Apparently, the shift to a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum was supposed to take place for the 2014 entering class, but was moved back sometime last winter. Does anyone know why this happened?
This caught my eye:
There will be a six month period, January-June 2017, when two classes of students will be participating in the Clerkships in the new model. There is a task force working on developing additional clinical sites to ensure adequate space on the clerkships for the increased number of students during this period.
Also, I just looked back through last year's thread and found something interesting. Apparently, the shift to a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum was supposed to take place for the 2014 entering class, but was moved back sometime last winter. Does anyone know why this happened?
I read that Harvard class 2019 would have the same issue with overlapping clinical years. However, consider the large ratio of faculties to med students at schools with giant med centers (somewhere from 5:1 to 10:1), we probably won't notice the difference.Either I didn't notice it before or it has been recently added, but there is now lots of interesting info on the Curriculum Rebuild page. The Implementation page is particularly cool.
This caught my eye:
Also, I just looked back through last year's thread and found something interesting. Apparently, the shift to a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum was supposed to take place for the 2014 entering class, but was moved back sometime last winter. Does anyone know why this happened?
Yes, and it will be even more of a problem for Harvard as next year's class will start clerkships even earlier than Yale's!I read that Harvard class 2019 would have the same issue with overlapping clinical years. However, consider the large ratio of faculties to med students at schools with giant med centers (somewhere from 5:1 to 10:1), we probably won't notice the difference.
I wonder how each school will make use of their capacity. Do they have enough "slack" in their system now that they wouldn't have to move students to different sites, only increase the load at established ones? How would a service respond to having more students than before? Would it be harmful, or beneficial, to share a clerkship with people from a different class year?
Last edited:
Till when does Yale send interviews?
And along that vein, does anybody know exactly when interview season ends here? Still trying to hold on to hope...probably in vain, but still
I updated my application directly through the portal. However, I also emailed a question about courses to Dean Silverman and didn't get a response 🙁Who would you address an update letter to? Dean Silverman or Dean Ment?
Thanks in advance!
I suspect the Deans are slightly busy and the best way to update is through the portal!
WOW, I was blown away today (literally too with all the winds 😀). Absolutely loved Yale soooo much and I was also so impressed by how approachable, friendly and awesome the folks here were! Manageable city, amazing opportunities, support bled from every aspect of the school, flexibility... just amazing 
WOW, I was blown away today (literally too with all the winds 😀). Absolutely loved Yale soooo much and I was also so impressed by how approachable, friendly and awesome the folks here were! Manageable city, amazing opportunities, support bled from every aspect of the school, flexibility... just amazing![]()
Had just about the same reaction during my visit. Would go here in a heartbeat.
OscarWao - don't forget the tuition free 5th year
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
29 days guys, 29 days. That's one day less than 30 days.
Man, I'm so psyched and scared at the same time. I interviewed way back October. It seems like forever.
Do you know when admissions decisions are going out this year???? 🙂🙂🙂🙂Hey Everybody-- 4th year Yale med student here. I noticed some of you have had questions that weren't answered (publicly, at least). Feel free to ask me anything (on here or PM) and I will do my best to get back to you.
Best of luck!
Do you know when admissions decisions are going out this year???? 🙂🙂🙂🙂
You should receive an email mid-March. Probably on or around the 15th.
Thanks, Hank! Any thoughts on the new curriculum?Hey Everybody-- 4th year Yale med student here. I noticed some of you have had questions that weren't answered (publicly, at least).
Thanks, Hank! Any thoughts on the new curriculum?
Unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask about this as I haven't been too involved in the new curriculum conversation. I do know, however, that the administration has been planning a curriculum re-build for many years and they have involved both students and faculty in the process.
Here is a website with some more specifics about the new curriculum: http://medicine.yale.edu/education/rebuild/
I'm sorry that wasn't very helpful. If possible, I would try and contact a current first or second year who may be able to give you more insight. Second look weekend would be another great opportunity to hear more about it.
I thought Dean Silverman said that March 12th would be the decision day..
They told us March 10th when I interviewed in late January.
Oh god yes. That's what I put down in my count down app.They told us March 10th when I interviewed in late January.
Oh god yes. That's what I put down in my count down app.
Yes, go with whatever date they told you. I don't have any inside information regarding admission dates, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YNHH, VA, and Bridgeport. St. Raph's (?)What hospitals do Yale students rotate in?
YNHH, VA, and Bridgeport. St. Raph's (?)
My tour guide had rotated at St. Raphael's. It's now a separate campus of YNHH
Yeah I know. It was a big deal in the tristate area due to the hospital consolidation. Wasn't sure if they sent people there to rotate already.My tour guide had rotated at St. Raphael's. It's now a separate campus of YNHH
Oh god yes. That's what I put down in my count down app.
*immediately downloads countdown app*
Now it's 28 days!! This wait is excruciating
Which one did you get? I've been using the one called Dreamdays. It's really pretty and has (approx) dates for acceptances, second looks, white coat ceremony. Reminding me not to waste the precious days before matriculation.*immediately downloads countdown app*
Now it's 28 days!! This wait is excruciating
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K