2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For accepted applicants: Did you get a confirmation email or anything after you accepted your offer? It's been a few weeks and I've got nothing.

No. On my portal, it now says that the offer has been accepted (when you click on the offer tab and then click technical standards). But I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent interviews mind saying what dates were available? I read they only interview till February so I'm a little worried that they might be almost out of interview spots...

I got an email and I was complete in July

I have a fair bit of pre-interview updates. Does anyone know how I should go about submitting them (if they're accepted)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, was just wondering what email address you used to send application updates?

This may be a strange question but, with dating prospects in mind, how easy is it to meet other similarly minded folks in their mid-20s as a Brown med student? Providence seems small and it doesn't look like Brown has many other professional programs (i.e. PA, law, dentistry, business, veterinary, nursing, pharmacy, etc.). Of course, I'm not one to pigeonhole myself based on student status or career aspirations, but I am aware these things can facilitate the process of meeting new people.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a strange question but, with dating prospects in mind, how easy is it to meet other similarly minded folks in their mid-20s as a Brown med student? Providence seems small and it doesn't look like Brown has many other professional programs (i.e. PA, law, dentistry, business, veterinary, nursing, pharmacy, etc.). Of course, I'm not one to pigeonhole myself based on student status or career aspirations, but I am aware these things can facilitate the process of meeting new people.

Brown has a number of other graduate programs (engineering, public health, various sciences, English, humanities, etc.) and a university run bar for grad students. Although Providence is definitely small in comparison to most big cities, it's still big enough to meet new people if you're so inclined. Worst case, you can get to Boston on the train but I'm not sure how frequently you'd have time to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't discount little Rhody! Providence is definitely a small city but, surprisingly, there's a lot going on. I think the biggest limiting factor in meeting people will be whether or not you're too busy to go out.

Reactions: 1 users
These are post interview notices that people are expecting?

Accepted this afternoon! I was originally waitlisted a month ago after interviewing the first week of November.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! :)
Thank you!

I've had several people message me since Friday asking about LOI, updates, advice in general. If anyone else wants to message me, feel free. I'm glad to help! Just keep in mind, it's all anecdotal and likely not groundbreaking (sorry to disappoint).

Good luck, everyone!

Any current students out there who can answer these Qs?:

1) Are M1 & 2 true P/F (i.e. no internal ranking)?
2) How involved are 3rd and 4th year students in clinic? Are rotations a lot of shadowing or are they hands-on in terms of responsibilities, learning case management, and the like?
3) Is there sufficient exposure to the "bread and butter" of medicine? Do graduating students feel well prepared for residency?
4) What factors into your grade for rotations? Is it H/P/F? Something else? How difficult is it to get H? Who grades you?
5) Is it easy/difficult to find clinical research opportunities in the subspecialties of IM and peds, considering Brown has a relatively smaller research program when compared to the "powerhouses"?

Thanks for reading through this!

Last edited:

2) How involved are 3rd and 4th year students in clinic? Are rotations a lot of shadowing or are they hands-on in terms of responsibilities, learning case management, and the like?
3) Is there sufficient exposure to the "bread and butter" of medicine? Do graduating students feel well prepared for residency?
4) What factors into your grade for rotations? Is it H/P/F? Something else? How difficult is it to get H? Who grades you?
5) Is it easy/difficult to find clinical research opportunities in the subspecialties of IM and peds, considering Brown has a relatively smaller research program when compared to the "powerhouses"?

+1

Older users maybe? @Insomniyack, others?

1) internal ranking is considered for AOA but is not made available to external parties.
2) depends on the rotation (more involved in IM than surgery for obvious reasons), but the goal of all third year clerkships is to give the student practical experience and translate learning to the clinical realm. In some clerkships (IM, family med, neurology,...) you will take on a role that is not dissimilar from that of an intern ( with training wheels).
3) yes and yes
4) clinical rotations: top 30% get honors on a H/P/F scale. Grade is made up of clinical evals from attendings and residents, OSCE, shelf ( with some slight variations)
5) very easy.

Received an II yesterday afternoon! Completed mid-September.

Reactions: 6 users
Regarding AOA, can 3rd years get elected as well? I could see myself eventually applying for a residency position through the SF match, but I'm under the impression that elections are limited to 4th years (in which case AOA status would be a non-factor anyway). Thank you!

Has anyone actually been rejected post interview? If MSAR and US news are accurate, there's almost an 80% post interview acceptance rate. Just wondering, cuz it's really difficult to manage expectations on this one due to that supposed rate. Lol.

Has anyone actually been rejected post interview? If MSAR and US news are accurate, there's almost an 80% post interview acceptance rate. Just wondering, cuz it's really difficult to manage expectations on this one due to that supposed rate. Lol.
I don't think MSAR helps here. The students enrolling into the linked undergrad-medical program don't interview but will matriculate. This is my understanding, I do wish to be wrong!

I don't think MSAR helps here. The students enrolling into the linked undergrad-medical program don't interview but will matriculate. This is my understanding, I do wish to be wrong!

But the msar tells you how many people Brown interviews, which excludes BS/MD students. They interview around 300 people, presumably for those non-BS/MD slots.

I guess what's uncertain is whether PLME students count as part of those 240 acceptances. I'd think that US news only reports AMCAS data, which PLME students don't apply through, so I want to say they do not.

Waitlisted post-interview.

Didn't feel good haha

Received a II today, complete the end of July! For everyone waiting to hear back, keep the faith!

Reactions: 9 users
I received that email as well (interviewed but haven't heard back about it yet)