2015-2016 Charles Drew/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still waiting on secondary. Congrats to all for making it this far!

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone looking to attend this school - read this article about their teaching hospital (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._Multi-Service_Ambulatory_Care_Center).

It's unbelievable and a real eye-opener to anyone applying here.
I'm definitely reconsidering applying here after reading about these gross negligences. This place is a disaster.

Everyplace will have a history (good and bad). It is extremely hard for me to properly articulate my opinion on this post in a well informed matter, but just know that the whole point of CDU is to serve the underserved i.e. the facilities wont be state-of-the-art locations that rich people can afford. That being said, students at CDU can also rotate at Ronald Reagan, olive view, Harbor etc.

This is also a very flawed argument, but from what I have been exposed to so far (UCLA Health System and Duke Health System), the clinics that serve the underserved tend to have "worse"/older buildings with "less incredible faculty" just because of the way funding works. I hate to say less incredible faculty because they are extremely well qualified and honorable for taking a smaller pay check to run these clinics/facilities, but it is the way things are when operations are underfunded...

So I hope that you aren't deterred just because of some bad pubicity. Perhaps you will be the person that makes a difference in this sector of health care?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! MS1 here! If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Congrats to you all for making it this far!

Hey f4reignbeauty,
A belated congrats again into making it to your top choice. I hope you're loving it lol. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to ask you what exactly is the structure/format of the interview day ?(MMI,one on one etc) I haven't really been able to find it anywhere:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified in late July and still haven't heard back about a secondary. Should I interpret this as a rejection or do they give out secondaries all throughout the cycle? Also, was I supposed to send my LOR with my primary or should I wait to send them with the secondary (if I receive one)?

I was verified in late July and still haven't heard back about a secondary. Should I interpret this as a rejection or do they give out secondaries all throughout the cycle? Also, was I supposed to send my LOR with my primary or should I wait to send them with the secondary (if I receive one)?

It's still early in the cycle, so I wouldn't interpret this as a rejection so soon. As far as LORs, I think you're supposed to add them to your primary (via AMCAS) and from there they will be transmitted along with your application.

Ok, I won't give up hope! And re the LOR, should I send them via amcas before receiving a secondary or do they only want letters from people who are getting secondaries?

Ok, I won't give up hope! And re the LOR, should I send them via amcas before receiving a secondary or do they only want letters from people who are getting secondaries?

If you have them, I would designate them now.

Ultimately as far as LORs, it's preference. Personally, I designated my letters prior to. That way once my secondaries were submitted, I was already complete. If you'd like to wait, then it's ultimately up to you.

Good luck all!

First SDN post. Got II at both Geffen and UCLA/Drew! I was wondering how similar the interview formats are between programs? Super excited about these interviews. LizzyM < 65.

Have you guys heard anything about interviews?

If you have never visited Drew or if you don't know a bit about its history you wouldn't be able to understand the importance of the school. If that's the case you shouldn't be applying there in the first place. So much negativity!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just got my secondary for Drew yesterday 09/21 and my AMCAS was verified 08/03 . For those of you still waiting for a secondary from this program, DON'T LOSE HOPE!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I just got my secondary for Drew yesterday 09/21 and my AMCAS was verified 08/03 . For those of you still waiting for a secondary from this program, DON'T LOSE HOPE!

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it went okay! It's hard to tell. The MMI interviewers were pretty varied in demeanor. A bunch of students rolled through to sit on the student panel, which was cool, but we didn't get a tour or anything. Drew is still a top choice for me because of its mission.

Do interview invites come through email or phone call? I have a voicemail from Drew and will be calling back tomorrow...

Do interview invites come through email or phone call? I have a voicemail from Drew and will be calling back tomorrow...

I've heard/read that it's phone call. I would say that the voicemail is good news but I don't want to get your hopes up in case I'm wrong. :X

I think it went okay! It's hard to tell. The MMI interviewers were pretty varied in demeanor. A bunch of students rolled through to sit on the student panel, which was cool, but we didn't get a tour or anything. Drew is still a top choice for me because of its mission.
Nice, I'm glad it went well! Excuse my ignorance, but what is the student panel?

I've heard/read that it's phone call. I would say that the voicemail is good news but I don't want to get your hopes up in case I'm wrong. :X

It was an interview invite! See some of you guys there!

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I haven't heard anything.. AMCAS verified 8/4

did any of you guys receive an email that they even received your primary application?

did any of you guys receive an email that they even received your primary application?

Come to think of it, no.

Either way this school was super reach for me anyways. The cali dream died before it even started :(

Come to think of it, no.

Either way this school was super reach for me anyways. The cali dream died before it even started :(

yeah, every school I've applied to has at least done that.

Guys and gals! Remember it is still relatively early in the cycle, don't give up too soon.

To anyone who has already interviewed at Drew, what time should I expect the day to end? What is the earliest flight I can make out of LAX? Is LAX easy to get to from the interview site? Thanks!

To anyone who has already interviewed at Drew, what time should I expect the day to end? What is the earliest flight I can make out of LAX? Is LAX easy to get to from the interview site? Thanks!
The day should end sometime between 1-2PM. We were running about 30 minutes behind and ended around 1:45PM but were told at the start of the day that we should expect to be done around 2PM. CDU is relatively easy to get to from LAX because you just need to take the 105E, but it would also depend on your method of transportation and traffic conditions. Hope this helps!

Any updates from people who submitted a secondary? Waiting for an interview is driving me crazy:shifty:

II IS 10/15! LizzyM 70.

@f4reignbeauty

Could you talk about the differences or obligations between normal Geffen and Drew students (what is required for one, but not for the other)? Do you know what the clinical rotations for Drew students are like - as in, are they as well established as for the Geffen students? Also, do you know if you can rotate through ucla hospitals?

Last edited:
II IS 10/15! LizzyM 70.

@f4reignbeauty

Could you talk about the differences or obligations between normal Geffen and Drew students (what is required for one, but not for the other)? Do you know what the clinical rotations for Drew students are like - as in, are they as well established as for the Geffen students? Also, do you know if you can rotate through ucla hospitals?

Congrats on the interview! Those are all great questions! As far as the curriculum, there are additional requirements for Drew students in comparison to Geffen students.

1. You take a selective during your first year that focuses on caring for disadvantaged populations.

The selective meets once every other week (I believe) and it's a good opportunity to talk about the social determinants of health, health disparities and the like.

2. There is a required research thesis. From my understanding, it does not have to be focused on underserved, but feel free to ask more about it during your interview.

3. During your fourth year, you are apart of the urban underserved college, and currently as a first year I'm not sure of what that entails.

Students will rotate through the same hospitals as Geffen students, but will also have the opportunity to do specific rotations at community-based facilities and county hospitals (like Harbor UCLA and Oliveview Medical Center) which will give you additional training on how to better serve in underserved areas.

Feel free to ask any additional questions, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities!

Congrats on the interview! Those are all great questions! As far as the curriculum, there are additional requirements for Drew students in comparison to Geffen students.

1. You take a selective during your first year that focuses on caring for disadvantaged populations.

The selective meets once every other week (I believe) and it's a good opportunity to talk about the social determinants of health, health disparities and the like.

2. There is a required research thesis. From my understanding, it does not have to be focused on underserved, but feel free to ask more about it during your interview.

3. During your fourth year, you are apart of the urban underserved college, and currently as a first year I'm not sure of what that entails.

Students will rotate through the same hospitals as Geffen students, but will also have the opportunity to do specific rotations at community-based facilities and county hospitals (like Harbor UCLA and Oliveview Medical Center) which will give you additional training on how to better serve in underserved areas.

Feel free to ask any additional questions, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities!

I thought that Drew students has a more independent education specifically tailored toward treating the underserved more, but after reading your post, I'm getting the feeling that Drew/UCLA students go through the Geffen curriculum with "bonus" education toward the underserved.

I thought that Drew students has a more independent education specifically tailored toward treating the underserved more, but after reading your post, I'm getting the feeling that Drew/UCLA students go through the Geffen curriculum with "bonus" education toward the underserved.

It's a little of both from what I understand. There are a lot of opportunities that you can do as a Drew student, that isn't offered to Geffen students. On your interview day, I highly recommend asking questions that help to clarify the overall differences between the Drew/UCLA and Geffen only tracks.

Submitted secondary 10/16. anyone hear back yet that completed their secondaries in October?

Secondary submitted 9/24. I have not heard back yet. Anyone on the same boat? My friend applied last year and it took 2 months to receive an interview.

Secondary submitted 9/24. I have not heard back yet. Anyone on the same boat? My friend applied last year and it took 2 months to receive an interview.

I submitted 9/10 and still no response as well. They've received a lot more applicants than usual, so it may just be taking a lot longer to get through applications...at least that's what I've been telling myself, lol.

I submitted 9/10 and still no response as well. They've received a lot more applicants than usual, so it may just be taking a lot longer to get through applications...at least that's what I've been telling myself, lol.
Yeah I know me too, lol. I received one from David Geffen yesterday just 2 weeks after I submitted the secondary. Why can't Drew do this! haha

I submitted 9/30 and haven't heard anything either. A friend of mine submitted his secondary the first week of October last year and didn't get an interview invite until mid-December so yeah 2-2.5 months of waiting is normal I guess.

For people who have already interviewed this year, or current students, can you guys shed light on the interview process? I'm aware that it is MMI, but is there also a one-one-one, traditional interview? Thanks!

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I haven't heard anything.. AMCAS verified 8/4

I was thinking that I was the only person who hadn't heard anything back from this school. I assumed that this was a rejection.

I think it's a bit late for secondaries now, but hope not!

On another note, when I log into my status portal all the info is blank. I take it that I've been rejected. D:

I wouldn't take anything as a rejection until you hear an official notice. Stay hopeful until then.

On another note, when I log into my status portal all the info is blank. I take it that I've been rejected. D:
I don't believe that's the case. Or at least hope not lol because when I check mines it is blank also and I figure it would at least show us our secondaries are completed.

hi guys,

FYI: just received an interview invitation today. so it is not over yet. guy told me they are still giving out interviews. don't lose hope.

hi guys,

FYI: just received an interview invitation today. so it is not over yet. guy told me they are still giving out interviews. don't lose hope.
Congratulations! What day did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking?

Don't worry. I called a while back bc my secondary did not appear as being received. The lady said they do not update the online portal.

Also, I wonder how they give out interviews. Two people just received interviews and their secondaries were submitted late October and November. Any ideas?

Last edited:
II TODAY!! Sooo happy this school is my top choice! IS Secondary complete 9/30 Interview Date 2/13