2015-2016 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year's prompts:

- Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 1200 (including spaces).

- In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)

- Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you’ve had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)

- Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank. (1200 characters limit)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To current or incoming students, would you mind clarifying the character limit to the 2nd secondary question from last year? Assuming they stay the same, it says, "Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience..." but then it also says (1200 characters) after each of the six categories. So do they want a "very brief statement about why" and it is 1200 characters total for the six categories, or is it 1200 for each category?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Application submitted...good luck folks.

I got UCF and FIU as well. Did Miami send you a secondary or did they simply say they are reviewing applications?
Just that they received primary and they will send secondary later if I qualify.

has this secondary been sent yet?
I got one yesterday (I wonder who was sending these things out on the Fourth!). I am wondering, though, about these "experience" mini essays, which seem to be repeated this year ... the question says to name the experience and then talk about the why or what we learned. But if we didn't discuss the experience on our AMCAS it seems for it to make sense we need to talk a little about what the experience was. What do you all think?

I found it odd I got my application on the 4th of July as well. My friend has also applied here and not yet received an application. Do they actually look at our primaries before sending out a secondary? It makes sense to say a little about what the experience was. I did. I used a few activities from my primaries and added a few new activities as well. I don't know much about this school aside from what I've read on it's website and wikipedia, but honestly this school has the best website I have seen so far for a medical school. It's very impressive how organized and down to earth it. I'm sharing it with pre-med students to use as a resource on how to prepare for medical school. I love how they ask you to read through their website, "research on google" or talk to an undergraduate school counselor on how to make yourself a competitive medical school applicant before you shower them with stupid questions.

@SweetCaroline7 you're applying here, too?? Were you a Florida resident prior to TX? Small world :)

Just got the secondary today!

@SweetCaroline7 you're applying here, too?? Were you a Florida resident prior to TX? Small world :)

Just got the secondary today!

:hello:Chlorini, I am applying here! Although not a FL resident, but I have close family in the area and would LOVE to be around my support system. I'm guessing you were a FL resident? Given how much school overlap we have, I hope we get the chance to meet this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
@SweetCaroline7 Yes, I grew up in South Florida. I moved to Texas during high school. I hope FAU likes OOS.... :). I know, it would be great to meet!

@SweetCaroline7 Yes, I grew up in South Florida. I moved to Texas during high school. I hope FAU likes OOS.... :). I know, it would be great to meet!
also Texas resident, applied to all Florida schools. These secondaries are so darn long for FL

IS, got it today.

For those who have submitted the secondary and had a lab separate to a lecture, how did you fill in the information? It says: If the lecture and lab courses were separate, enter the information separately in the spaces provided. But there are only 2 spaces provided, so how do you enter 4 total classes (2 lectures, 2 labs)? Are you supposed to not use the "look up" tool and manually enter lecture 1/lab 1 and lecture 2/lab 2 into each space?

Has anyone received a secondary from FAU?? I have from UCF, FIU, USF, and FSU... But nothing from FAU!!!

@SweetCaroline7 I just entered it in the box below. I couldn't figure out what else to do.

@ninargy and @Olive12 yes got a secondary on Monday. However, I'm OOS so that may have something to do with it.

@Mavs88 I know! Thank God I pre-wrote most of them. I just hope they show us some love and invite us for interviews.

For letters of rec, are you guys submitting just the required 3? They say you can submit more "if they provide truly unique information or insight into the applicant's qualifications to study medicine," and I want to submit my 2 extra letters that I received from shadowing physicians, but I'm not sure how they feel about the extra letters. I've heard the minimum requirement is sometimes the best option.

For those who have submitted the secondary and had a lab separate to a lecture, how did you fill in the information? It says: If the lecture and lab courses were separate, enter the information separately in the spaces provided. But there are only 2 spaces provided, so how do you enter 4 total classes (2 lectures, 2 labs)? Are you supposed to not use the "look up" tool and manually enter lecture 1/lab 1 and lecture 2/lab 2 into each space?
I just emailed them and they said it would be fine to put labs in the quarters section at the bottom.

For letters of rec, are you guys submitting just the required 3? They say you can submit more "if they provide truly unique information or insight into the applicant's qualifications to study medicine," and I want to submit my 2 extra letters that I received from shadowing physicians, but I'm not sure how they feel about the extra letters. I've heard the minimum requirement is sometimes the best option.
I'm sending a letters packet, has 3 faculty and 2 from volunteer coordinators, can't hurt. You can try emailing the school and see what they would advise.

Any students here open for questions?

I looked through the thread for the past two cycles, and I still couldn't find a consensus on what exactly the last question is asking. Is it "why FAU?" or are they looking for reasons why you feel you need to stay in the area/go to this school specifically over any other.

To any FAU students around, where do you guys do clinical rotations at? Could you please name a few hospitals?

Has anyone else still not received the secondary??

I received the secondary a week ago and I'm OOS. Something tells me that the schools send out the secondaries in batches.

Last edited:
so much like FIUs app, anyone have issues adding labs?

so much like FIUs app, anyone have issues adding labs?

There are no slots to add labs...so haven't added any. Just lectures
And they don't even specify to add labs..

There are no slots to add labs...so haven't added any. Just lectures
And they don't even specify to add labs..
It does say to add labs. I emailed them and they said to add labs to the quarter section at the bottom.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow...totally did not do that before submitting...

I didn't enter my labs either but I think we will be fine. I saw that it said to enter them but I thought it would look weird if I chose to add them as quarters...

Recieved secondary this afternoon :)

"Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank. (1200 characters limit)"

Is anyone else kinda scared to respond to this question? I think I have a pretty good reason why I REALLY want to attend this college, but I am not sure if it means I "have to"....

Urgh. Any thoughts or ideas?

"Describe any compelling reason you have to attend our College of Medicine. If none, leave blank. (1200 characters limit)"

Is anyone else kinda scared to respond to this question? I think I have a pretty good reason why I REALLY want to attend this college, but I am not sure if it means I "have to"....

Urgh. Any thoughts or ideas?

The question is asking if you have a compelling reason to attend there, not if you think you absolutely have to attend there

Lol @vantheman the word "have" is there because you "have a reason", not "have to attend". I misread that at first, too!

@vantheman, I interpreted that as something beyond an interest in the program, like a dependent parent who lives in the area, dependent children enrolled in school, etc. I didn't answer it, and there are definitely some things that make me really want to attend! :shrug: It is worded ambiguously, though.

Is that the only essay question? will someone be kind enough to post the questions please :)

Please provide details of your activities for the application year 2015- 2016 (1200 characters)

In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)

Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that you’ve had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.

1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)

2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)

3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit

4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)

5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)

6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)