2015-2016 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Does it seem bad if you write about different high school events in the prompts? As in for some of the questions, I can only think of different high school events to refer to. But I don't know if that is too far back to talk about? Or if it seems bad if I have more than 1 answer referring back to highschool events
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@ab77, it took me four days but that was before mid-July. I've been at "review in progress" since before 7/15, though. Looks like first round of II went out 7/30 last year, so hopefully things are moving soon. :luck: to all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wonder why they seem to be reviewing out of order..
According to the admissions website:

Each completed application (AMCAS application, letters of recommendation, MCAT score, and secondary application) will be screened and scored by members of the admissions committee. FAU takes pride in conducting a Holistic Review of applications submitted. Factors evaluated at this point include GPAs and MCAT scores, rigor of the educational program(s) undertaken, breadth of life experiences, and the meaningfulness of direct patient contact experiences.

The scores assessed in this screening process will be used to place applicants on a ranked list to be invited for an interview. Applicants with the highest screening scores will be invited for interviews before applicants with lower screening scores. This process will continue until all available interview slots have been filled.

http://med.fau.edu/admissions/
 
preliminary review completed 8/11. I didn't get an email notification for my II from FIU (which has the same portal setup whatchamadoodle as FAU) so I keep checking the portal every day so I don't miss it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! M1 here open to answer any questions I can/give any advice. I noticed there were no other students on this thread, and I wanted to avail myself, though I obviously cannot speak much for any questions about rotations.

I can say that I love this school. The advantage of a class of 64 is incredible. I know everyone in my class and consider every single one a friend I could turn to for help. It's an amazing community. The students really make the school, so pay attention to that during your interviews/tours. With a small class size, we do a ton of team-focused work, so that's something to consider. I will say though that working in a team with dedicated, driven and intelligent people is infinitely better than any group work I did in college.

So if anyone has questions, let me know! If anyone needs a place to stay during interviews, be sure to email our class ambassadors; it's way better than a hotel. If anyone has more specific questions feel free to send me a direct message.

Best of luck, I hope you all seriously consider FAU.
 
Last edited:
Oh okay, my bad! I'd love to hear how it went from anyone who interviewed that day then!

Hi all! M1 here open to answer any questions I can/give any advice. I noticed there were no other students on this thread, and I wanted to avail myself, though I obviously cannot speak much for any questions about rotations.

I can say that I love this school. The advantage of a class of 64 is incredible. I know everyone in my class and consider (nearly) every single one a friend I could turn to for help. It's an amazing community. The students really make the school, so pay attention to that during your interviews/tours. With a small class size, we do a ton of team-focused work, so that's something to consider. I will say though that working in a team with dedicated, driven and intelligent people is infinitely better than any group work I did in college.

So if anyone has questions, let me know! If anyone needs a place to stay during interviews, be sure to email our class ambassadors; it's way better than a hotel. If anyone has more specific questions feel free to send me a direct message.

Best of luck, I hope you all seriously consider FAU.

Thank you for posting! Do you know if it is easy to get involved in research during the first summer and how that is set up? Also I read on the website that one of the interviews is in "situational-behavioral format" what exactly does that mean? Thanks in advance!
 
Thank you for posting! Do you know if it is easy to get involved in research during the first summer and how that is set up? Also I read on the website that one of the interviews is in "situational-behavioral format" what exactly does that mean? Thanks in advance!


Everyone I've talked to that wanted summer research last year found some sort of project to work on. FAU is a small school, so many did research in the area. You have to look for it, but you can certainly find it.

And as for the behavioral questions, before my interview, the interviewer said, "this is just to make sure you're not crazy. Hah." I did have a chill interviewer. But essentially it's a couple very small situations and what what-would-you-do kind of thing.

Overall, it was the least stressful interview I had. My first interviewer was fascinated by my name and one of my volunteer projects, the other just asked me about what part of medicine I looked forward to the most. More than other other school, they seemed like they wanted to know me as a person.

If anyone is coming in to an interview, and wants to meet the day before or something, hit me up. Keep the questions coming too!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who took classes on a quarter system, did you enter in all of your classes only under the "add another quarter system pre-requisite." Or did you enter in courses on the table at the top of the page and then added the rest to quarter section?