You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Hofstra University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure on the exact numbers...somebody posted it earlier on this thread, but I couldn't find it. Basically, they said a lot of people tend to say no to hofstra and that's why they interview so much. Their reasoning was because it's a mid-tier school. So higher-stat applicants that get accepted go to higher ranking schools and other people choose their state school because it's cheaper.
Hmm interesting. I think it being a fairly new school is probably another factor
based on previous years, shouldn't the first round of decisions be coming out soon, interviewed september 25?
Last edited:
I was complete 8/29...have I been passed over?
+1...8/25, probably got passed over =(
I do not believe they sent out pre- II rejections yet.Been complete since end of July and no word. I'm not sure if Hofstra has sent out pre II rejections? Thinking we are either in a silent rejection pool or placed on hold.
Two years ago it was the 12th
😱Two years ago it was the 12th
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh no. Not againSo they're going to do a mass rejection soon? Like GW and Rochester?
I just want to hear something. Me right now:
what are people's opinions on the school based on interview day?
MS2 here. Thought I'd come on and offer a response to these posts, especially that I've encountered similar concerns in recent lunches with applicants. We've cut our interviews down from about 1000 to about 500. From my class and from the current MS1s, I will tell you that almost the entire class (certainly more than 75%) had Hofstra as either their first or second choice post-interview. A lot of self-selection is involved in this; the people who work well as independent learners and are interested in collaborative learning immediately love the place. The people who are all about throat-cutting and grades and being left alone tend to not like it.
I'll also tell you that it's really obvious to everyone when an applicant is uneasy with the school being "new" (we've matched, we're accredited. we've got several years of killer Step 1 scores. Our health system is powerful. Our faculty are incredibly well established), no matter how well they try to hide it. To be honest, I have no doubt that it comes across in the interviews, too. I'd encourage anyone that is interviewing to read this article on why being at a new medical school may be a better choice for your patients (which, ultimately, is what really matters) than being at one that is historically highly ranked: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/health/17chen.html?_r=0.
I'll tell you all that, as a first year at Hofstra, you will be a better doctor that most schools' MS3s. You'll be able to walk into a room, talk to a patient, do an exam, figure out their problems, and discuss why they aren't adherent to their medication. Sure, you may not be able to recognize the fungal infection which a patient comes into the ED with, but that's not the expectation for you, yet.
On the other hand, as far as stats go (another really common question), the MS2 class was a 34/3.62, and the MS1 class is something like a 34-35/3.7. (We were told this at one point, but I cannot remember what the exact numbers are for their class). This info is somewhere on the SOM page, but I don't know where.
Long story short, if you're excited to come hang out with us and learn some stuff about keeping people alive, we're excited to have you!
Love this post! Thanks for sharing. Hofstra is by far my top choice and I absolutely loved it. I have no doubt that in the next few years it will build a very strong name for itself, I was blown away by the school. I have been considering sending a post-interview letter of interest, do you think this is a good idea/is Hofstra receptive to these?
based on previous years, shouldn't the first round of decisions be coming out soon, interviewed september 25?
yes, last year the first acceptances came on november 20th
accepted 🙂 interview late oct, lizzym 70-71
Via email, phone, portal?
Anyone else?
D
deleted715884
How long did it take people to reach the airport post interview via train? I have a 6:45 flight and am a little worried about making it.
I took the courtesy shuttle to the train station, and transferred from the LIRR to the JFK AirTrain at Jamaica (station), and I was able to make a 4:55 pm flight with time to eat dinner and relax. I wouldn't worry about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted via email!!! Interviewed late September
Accepted via email as well around 4pm today! Interviewed 10/16
Does Hofstra give scholarships?
D
deleted715884
Sorry about that 🙁 Was it Pre or Post II?Rejected too
Rejected too
Via email?
Pre II via email
Expecting a rejection any second now haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry about that 🙁 Was it Pre or Post II?
Pre II, not too surprised given that my stats are meh (3.38/3.23/33)
Via email?
Yup via email
+1Pre II via email
is this the start of a mass rejection?
I wonder if its gonna be a GW style slaughter
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K