You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Hofstra University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
19 holds? Wow. Better than a rejection though....... Sort of.It's still Application Complete over at the Hof for me. I have a remarkable talent for racking up silent pre-interview holds, with 19 of them this season.
Pre-II rejection!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who are they taking if you got rejected? Great stats, what in the world?!Also rejected just now. 3.7 GPA 520 MCAT, submitted early August
hahaha this brought my rejected spirits upRejected, pre-II, complete 10/15, LizzyM ~74. Thought high MCAT might help me here but no dice.
I was going to say the same thing! It's my first rejection and I ain't even mad, there's such camaraderie in this thread.
Aaaaaaand I'm out! Complete mid-July. Best of luck to everyone else!!
Not to be racist, but I forgot I even applied here.
???
It means like I don't want what I'm saying to sound racist.
+1What?
It means like I don't want what I'm saying to sound racist.
What we're not understanding is why it would sound racist.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today!
Not to be racist, but I forgot I even applied here.
hahahahaha

Rejected Pre-II, LizzyM 72, complete early september
First school I heard back from and it's a rejection...nice to know that I'm not alone. This was quite a massive attack. Though Hofstra messed up by passing us up. Their loss!
I hate having a high LizzyM and still getting **** on by rejections. I just got my first II a little bit ago though, and it feels really good so you have that to look forward to.
Fashionably late. 😎 Rejected!
Rejected, pre-II, complete 10/15, LizzyM ~74. Thought high MCAT might help me here but no dice.
I was going to say the same thing! It's my first rejection and I ain't even mad, there's such camaraderie in this thread.
I was really hoping a LizzyM 75 would get me an interview, but as morbid as it sounds I like hearing about other high scorers like you getting the boot along with me. Makes it feel more like a "fit" issue than a competency.
Rejected yesterday.
4.0/38 bio major
1000+ hours clinical (not including scribe)
CGI service fellow
Multiple publications.
4.0/38 bio major
1000+ hours clinical (not including scribe)
CGI service fellow
Multiple publications.
Well then...Rejected yesterday.
4.0/38 bio major
1000+ hours clinical (not including scribe)
CGI service fellow
Multiple publications.
Rejected pre II, complete 7/7 🙁 really upset even tho I have an acceptance elsewhere bc I loved this school
Joining the reject party!
+1
Rejected as well. I went to high school around the corner, my mom graduated from their grad school a few years ago, and my dad and uncle are on staff at North Shore-LIJ and did their residencies at LIJ. Stung a bit, but their loss!
It's okay everyone, not meant to be. I'm sure you'll all be successful at your respective medical schools. Then Hofstra will wish they had interviewed us 🙂. Just keep being your wonderful selves!
It's okay everyone, not meant to be. I'm sure you'll all be successful at your respective medical schools. Then Hofstra will wish they had interviewed us 🙂. Just keep being your wonderful selves!
I'm sorry, everyone! You'll go on to do great things wherever you get in!
Very sorry to hear of the news, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, so stay strong fellasl!
Did anyone who interviewed in early September get a decision yet? Rejections post II? Or so far has it only been a few randomized acceptances?
Did anyone who interviewed in early September get a decision yet? Rejections post II? Or so far has it only been a few randomized acceptances?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When is a deadline for applying to the next year?
Very sorry to hear of the news, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, so stay strong fellasl!
Did anyone who interviewed in early September get a decision yet? Rejections post II? Or so far has it only been a few randomized acceptances?
So far, seems like it's been randomized. Bunch of people in October got their acceptances and some from September as well. I interviewed Sep. 24th and haven't heard back yet.
Very sorry to hear of the news, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, so stay strong fellasl!
Did anyone who interviewed in early September get a decision yet? Rejections post II? Or so far has it only been a few randomized acceptances?
what happened last year - there were random acceptances throughout November and December but then the people who interviewed early and did not receive an acceptance by December were either wait listed or rejected on this one day in March.
So based on previous years, It appears that you will only hear if you are accepted and if not it will be silence until the spring. I really hope they change this policy of releasing all post interview waitlist and rejections on the same day in March!
what happened last year - there were random acceptances throughout November and December but then the people who interviewed early and did not receive an acceptance by December were either wait listed or rejected on this one day in March.
So based on previous years, It appears that you will only hear if you are accepted and if not it will be silence until the spring. I really hope they change this policy of releasing all post interview waitlist and rejections on the same day in March!
Yeah, that's pretty brutal. Interviewed 9/25 and still waiting...
Where as the November/December thing seems true I wouldn't lose hope after only one day of acceptances
MS2 here. Thought I'd come on and offer a response to these posts, especially that I've encountered similar concerns in recent lunches with applicants. We've cut our interviews down from about 1000 to about 500. From my class and from the current MS1s, I will tell you that almost the entire class (certainly more than 75%) had Hofstra as either their first or second choice post-interview. A lot of self-selection is involved in this; the people who work well as independent learners and are interested in collaborative learning immediately love the place. The people who are all about throat-cutting and grades and being left alone tend to not like it.
I'll also tell you that it's really obvious to everyone when an applicant is uneasy with the school being "new" (we've matched, we're accredited. we've got several years of killer Step 1 scores. Our health system is powerful. Our faculty are incredibly well established), no matter how well they try to hide it. To be honest, I have no doubt that it comes across in the interviews, too. I'd encourage anyone that is interviewing to read this article on why being at a new medical school may be a better choice for your patients (which, ultimately, is what really matters) than being at one that is historically highly ranked: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/health/17chen.html?_r=0.
I'll tell you all that, as a first year at Hofstra, you will be a better doctor that most schools' MS3s. You'll be able to walk into a room, talk to a patient, do an exam, figure out their problems, and discuss why they aren't adherent to their medication. Sure, you may not be able to recognize the fungal infection which a patient comes into the ED with, but that's not the expectation for you, yet.
On the other hand, as far as stats go (another really common question), the MS2 class was a 34/3.62, and the MS1 class is something like a 34-35/3.7. (We were told this at one point, but I cannot remember what the exact numbers are for their class). This info is somewhere on the SOM page, but I don't know where.
Long story short, if you're excited to come hang out with us and learn some stuff about keeping people alive, we're excited to have you!
Just curious, but I really wanted to clarify this. So does this mean that around 500 total applicants were interviewed this year? Last year I believe it was around 700. By this logic if the class is 100... about 2x or 3x this amount must be accepted. That gives us a 40-60% chance post interview?? Sorry, I'm a tad bit nervous as the days keep rolling by.
Also interviewed on 9/25 and still waiting. I guess silence after December is a rejection.Yeah, that's pretty brutal. Interviewed 9/25 and still waiting...
Also interviewed on 9/25 and still waiting. I guess silence after December is a rejection.
Based on past years threads it is either a rejection or waitlist but you won't find out which until mid March
Yes
has anyone from the 9/16 group heard back?
Got accepted today! Interviewed mid November, so I'm surprised by this turnaround. I will be declining the spot, so good luck to those still waiting!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess this isn't looking too good for those of us who interviewed in September and haven't heard back yet?
Last edited:
I have the same feeling. Punch in the gut.I guess this isn't looking too good for those of us who interviewed in September and haven't heard back yet?
Don't want to admit this to myself, but also have the same feeling 🙁I have the same feeling. Punch in the gut.
Any acceptances lately? Or did they just send out that one batch back in November?
Any acceptances lately? Or did they just send out that one batch back in November?
some acceptances were given out on December 1st
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K