2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by claduva94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm deciding if I should apply here. I am URM with a 29 MCAT (P12, V6, B11), and a 3.85 GPA from UCLA. Lots of tutoring experience, spanish interpreting experience in the ER while shadowing physicians, other volunteer work, strong LORs, pretty sure good enough personal statement.

that 6 in verbal might get me screened though...should I not waste my money applying?
If you are ESL, maybe not. Really service oriented, so have LOTS of volunteering, community outreach, etc. If you have a compelling, quirky story, Mayo likes that (with only 50 people in a class, they can be picky). Check out the thread from prior years, and get a feel for the folks that were among the "chosen". They were a unique group of people (military folks, etc.)
 
Is anyone else still waiting for a request to pay the fee? Maybe it has to do with the fact I am applying MD/PhD only, but seriously Mayo -- let me pay the fee.....please!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm deciding if I should apply here. I am URM with a 29 MCAT (P12, V6, B11), and a 3.85 GPA from UCLA. Lots of tutoring experience, spanish interpreting experience in the ER while shadowing physicians, other volunteer work, strong LORs, pretty sure good enough personal statement.

that 6 in verbal might get me screened though...should I not waste my money applying?

The V6 is not good, but a friend of mine got accepted there last year with a 30 MCAT (P12, V6, B12) after being waitlisted for a while. He is also URM, had a slightly lower GPA (but an upward trend), strong LORs, and great experiences. He is also a great interviewer, so I am sure that helped too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+28374092837474

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants receive letter requests? I know the Mayo Clinic doesn't offer many interviews according to their website.
Referencing the 2013-2014 thread...

"Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)"

With that, Mayo's last application cycle had about 4700 applicants with 94 acceptances. Seeing as how the ratios seem to stay consistent, I'd bet on about 20% of applicants get LOR requests.
 
So lor request is actually indicative of making it past a screen? Awesome! Mine came in this morning. Good luck to everyone out there!
 
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on Mayo's screening process. What components do they look at now to determine II (other than Lor)? Is it holistic?
(please correct me if I am wrong- 1st screen was GPA/MCAT over a certain threshold, 2nd screen was E/Cs).
 
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on Mayo's screening process. What components do they look at now to determine II (other than Lor)? Is it holistic?
(please correct me if I am wrong- 1st screen was GPA/MCAT over a certain threshold, 2nd screen was E/Cs).
It is a mystery. Some folks with high GPA/MCAT never get the LOR request, and others with average stats do.

My personal opinion is that they look at the ECs for the LOR screen, with some floor on stats.
My brother interviewed 2 cycles ago at Mayo with a 33 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, but he had awesome ECs, with lots of volunteering and service work.
I have better stats, but not as much volunteering/service work, but I did get a LOR request today!!
Now we'll see if I make the cut to II. YEAH
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could it be that they're screening for people with significant hours in certain types of activities? It doesn't seem like they've had enough time for a more comprehensive review of ECs, which what I assume they're screening for after a low screen for stats.

For those of you that received LOR requests, when did you all get the email saying that the fee was received?
~ 30 min after I paid.
 
Did anyone recieve an email that your application was complete? or was the last email before LOR confirmation of paying the fee?
 
Ahh well I paid late Monday so there's still hope 😛

Yup I have a friend that goes here and it does seem to be an EC based screen!
 
Ahh well I paid late Monday so there's still hope 😛
I hope so too. I got the fee request and paid it on Sunday the 5th, so it is indeed possible that they're just moving through the first batch!

Edit: yeah around page 3 of last year's thread you'll see a whole bunch of people post from the first wave and then more came out the next days after.
 
I assume if you submitted payment early (e.g., like on July 2) and you didn't get the LOR request, you probably can pencil in a rejection now?
 
Didn't get the request either.. I paid the fee 7/7 so hopefully they will send it out in a later batch. Made a mental reminder to pay it and just forgot for a while lol
 
🙁

Edit: Anyone pay their fee on 7/2 and get the request?
I paid on 7/2 and got the verification email receipt at 12:44p CST on the same day so if you paid after that time, perhaps you'll get a request in the next batch? :<
I got my request this morning. (32 MCAT, 3.6 sGPA, maxed 15 extracurriculars on AMCAS)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad