2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/does-mayo-screen-pre-secondary.81572/

This forum is pretttyyyy old though (2003 but quote is from 2001) so wasn't really sure if they did that anymore. From the looks of more recent application cycles, it just looks like it's LoR email, then an email saying the LoR has been received and the application is in the final stages of review before interviews.

Props on the dedication to dig that deep into the archives haha. I think we'd be safe assuming that Mayo will do the same thing as last year, which is what you just described.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well let's all be buds and tell each other if someone gets a phone call! Hahah

Ahahaha I hope to dear god they don't do that phone screening anymore...I'd be so horribly nervous and awkward being put on the spot like that hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the LOR received email. I'm more of a miracle whip man but if mayo shows me some love I might have to convert.

Is there another screen of those who got the LOR request before the email saying the letters have been received and the application is in the final review stages is sent?

LOL complete email received! I don't think there was an additional screen..

I got my "LORs Received" email this morning.
I got my payment confirmation on 7/02 and LOR Request form on 7/09.

Got an email that my LoRs have been received and is in the final round of review!!! *rejoice*

So I have heard nothing yet at all from Mayo... submitted AMCAS on 6/2. Seems like most people here have gotten both an initial "pay a fee" and then a "give us your letters" email. But I believe you have to pay a fee BEFORE they screen, so hopefully I just haven't received one yet by weird chance? Anyone else in this boat?

EDIT: If it makes any difference, I am an MD/PhD applicant. Hopefully that is the reason for the delay!

LOR received and notification of final stages of review! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, got the LOR request last week but not the receipt this morning. My letters have been uploaded to AMCAS. Anyone have insight on this? Thanks!

Hmmm, got the LOR request last week but not the receipt this morning. My letters have been uploaded to AMCAS. Anyone have insight on this? Thanks!

I received the request for LORs on 7/9 and just received my confirmation this morning. Based on last year's thread, it looks like the confirmation email came anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks after the LOR request was sent. I'm sure it will be coming soon!

I'm still waiting on a few of my LORs to be uploaded. Hopefully that will happen soon. I mean, it's not like people have had several months to get these things written and uploaded...

I'm still waiting on a few of my LORs to be uploaded. Hopefully that will happen soon. I mean, it's not like people have had several months to get these things written and uploaded...
LMAO, yes, I gave my PI of 1.5 years my LOR request back in APRIL!! As of last week, he said he would get it done by weeks end. Don't know what that means, but still not done as of today. GRRRR, must be nice, not bug him too much, but REALLY, isn't this his job?? Note to self, if I am ever in a position to write LOR, I will keep my commitments!!

anyone who submitted payment on July 6 get the LOR request yet?

I submitted payment July 5th and haven't received LOR request. From the activity on the thread it seems like there's only been one wave of LOR requests sent out for those who paid immediately on July 1&2. I could be wrong though

Anyone know what Mayo med weighs heavily in the final assessment for interviews? :)

I have not. I'm hoping payments that processed after the 1st and 2nd (I payed on the 6th) are part of a different batch of LOR requests.

I paid 7/6 and have not heard anything since the payment received email. Fingers crossed for a second wave of LOR requests!

Anyone know what Mayo med weighs heavily in the final assessment for interviews? :)
Don't know for sure, but my Brother interviewed there 2 cycles ago with a 3.7 GPA and 33 MCAT, but he had TONS of volunteer and service work. Mayo really likes that.

So I have heard nothing yet at all from Mayo... submitted AMCAS on 6/2. Seems like most people here have gotten both an initial "pay a fee" and then a "give us your letters" email. But I believe you have to pay a fee BEFORE they screen, so hopefully I just haven't received one yet by weird chance? Anyone else in this boat?

EDIT: If it makes any difference, I am an MD/PhD applicant. Hopefully that is the reason for the delay!
I am MD/PhD also and all has been quiet from Mayo so far. Good luck!

I am MD/PhD also and all has been quiet from Mayo so far. Good luck!

Whew! That makes me feel much better since it seems like all of the MD people are pretty far in the process by now. Thanks so much for letting me know this. Hope you have a really successful application cycle!!

Did anyone else get the fee received email twice? And the application received email twice? Did they make a mistake or something from when I paid before? (First set of emails on the 2nd, second set on the 12th... I wonder if they just "received my app" now)

Lol...I still have not heard anything from Mayo.. :(
Anyone know if Mayo accepts updates at all? Do they at least ask you "is there anything you want to add" when they send you the email?

Whew! That makes me feel much better since it seems like all of the MD people are pretty far in the process by now. Thanks so much for letting me know this. Hope you have a really successful application cycle!!

I just got it a few minutes ago. I hope your cycle is going well too!

Paid the fee 7/2 and still no LOR request. Losing hope... :(

Lol...I still have not heard anything from Mayo.. :(
Anyone know if Mayo accepts updates at all? Do they at least ask you "is there anything you want to add" when they send you the email?
They didn't include any comments about updates in any of the emails I got, and their website doesn't say anything. I would call and ask!

Paid the fee 7/2 and still no LOR request. Losing hope... :(
yeah might be game over for us...oh well. just click "unwatch thread" at the top right and get pumped for some other schools!

Reactions: 2 users
yeah might be game over for us...oh well. just click "unwatch thread" at the top right and get pumped for some other schools!
What you guys should know is that everything I have read about Mayo indicates that they are really upfront with applicants. If you're screened out or rejected I am pretty sure they will tell you. I know it is anxiety-inducing but keep your chin up! Last year they staggered LOR requests in a similar manner.

What you guys should know is that everything I have read about Mayo indicates that they are really upfront with applicants. If you're screened out or rejected I am pretty sure they will tell you. I know it is anxiety-inducing but keep your chin up! Last year they staggered LOR requests in a similar manner.

And they didnt send out interview invites until mid August [as far as I can tell]. We just have to hang in there!

For those of you waiting for the LOR request, I paid on the 2nd and just now received the LOR request email (about 2 minutes ago). Don't lose hope yet!

Last edited:
Paid on the 1st and just got my LOR request now. Keep your heads up everyone!

+3...what a strange time to send it lol

LOR request here as well. Paid the sixth. Good job everyone and good luck!

LOR request! Good to know Mayo is up all night thinking of us :)

Unfortunately my committee letter won't be submitted until mid August, should I email them about this?

LOR request too. Paid 7/9

LOR request! Good to know Mayo is up all night thinking of us :)

Unfortunately my committee letter won't be submitted until mid August, should I email them about this?
Seems like in prior years, information came out in the middle of the night (some type of computer routine runs at 2AM). II and rejections.

Paid on 7/1 and woke up to a LOR request this morning! Don't lose hope, I thought I was screened out

Paid on 7/2 ad didn't get the request. Guess this is the end of the line for me. Good luck to everyone

Paid 7/4, LOR this morning.

A) so many people are up at 3am in this forum hhahahaa
B) I'm glad I didn't take a look back at this thread when people first got their LOR requests...I think we should remember to take a second and breathheeeeee. It looks like Mayo's sending LORs out in batches and even if you haven't gotten one yet, don't lose hope and don't stress out!

Hope everyone has an awesome cycle. Hoping to see some of ya'll in interviews ;)

Reactions: 2 users
LOR request! Paid on the 10th and confirmed on the 13th!

Also got a LOR request. Does anyone know from past thread what percentage of people who got LOR got interviewed? Is it a strong indication you'll get an interview or not so much?