2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were people with LizzyM's in the high 70s and low 80s that get screened out last year. It's not a straight stats game, even pre-Lor request. I'm not really sure how they do it. But it's an amazing place, awesome place to interview and they have great financial aid so good luck to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
LizzyM 70 here and got the fee request. Either they are looking into more than pure stats, or just taking their time

LizzyM 70 here and got the fee request. Either they are looking into more than pure stats, or just taking their time

I have a feeling that they're going to send the fee request to just about everyone above a (relatively low) threshold. The order they're sending it out seems to be random or just based on primary verification date/time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be a Mayo PM&R resident come 2016. I just wanted to through the idea of PM&R out there to those of you who may one day go to Mayo...because it was honestly a specialty that I didn't know about until my 3rd year of medical school. Look into it.

Mayo is fantastic. I have never been to a hospital so invested in learning and patient care. It truly is a special place. It is cold...yes. But the truth is that you are going to go from one garage to the next in the winter...and you are going to be hard pressed to find a better learning environment. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm also applying to Mayo! I'm from New Mexico, though. Weather is quite different for me...

Mayo could potentially open doors for you in Scottsdale, AZ...a sister campus...which would allow you to stay regional if you would. I'm from Jacksonville, FL, the other sister campus...and it is definitely a nice added bonus.

Just got an email from Mayo saying that they received my app, but no mention of a fee.

Anyone else get an email just saying that Mayo has received your application?

edit: posted this at the same time as kvothe2015. looks like im not alone!

Email received too about them receiving the app. They're probably getting a ton of emails right now haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an e-mail about receiving the fee waiver YAY

Just received the email about them receiving the app, and then the email requesting the fee about 15 minutes later

Same..just received mine.

"For applicants with more than one MCAT, the most recent MCAT will be the test considered in preliminary review."

Is this for the interview or for the secondary application?

I got the $120 request, but no LOR request. I'm confused; does that mean I passed the pre- screen?
No. I think you submit the fee first, and the LOR requests will be a few weeks down the line judging from last years thread. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

How does mayo screen for the LORs after you pay?

$120 donation made.

Reactions: 4 users
Mayo is a great cause, I donated my $120 a moment ago

Mayo should name a building after us with all these donations.

Reactions: 3 users
Received an email for the fee waiver YAY. It's going to be an exciting for weeks for all of us, yeah?

do we need to pay again after they prescreen...
Nope! Like what I imagine based from last year's thread is that there is an initial light screen, the fee request, then the heavy screen as indicated by a LOR request.

how long after the first email was the fee request?

how long after the first email was the fee request?

I got the email for the fee request ~15 minutes after the email saying my application was received.

Received 1st e-mail but no fee request yet...

For the people who have received the fee request thus far, what day were you all verified?

I dont think it goes by verification because I was verified before the 19th and still haven't received it. I'm sure we will get it tomorrow :D

Reactions: 1 users
I dont think it goes by verification because I was verified before the 19th and still haven't received it. I'm sure we will get it tomorrow :D
Same here, and here's hoping!

Reactions: 1 users
Fee sent. Surprised they would be working on the Sunday after the 4th!

Getting asked to pay the fee is NOT the pre-screen, almost everyone gets this. Mayo does not have secondary essays, you just pay the fee and they look at your app.

If you pass the real screen, they send you a request for LORs.

Also, Mayo isn't as big on the stats as other schools. They place a huge emphasis on the personal statement and track record of community service, their median scores are pretty low for the caliber of program they run.

Getting asked to pay the fee is NOT the pre-screen, almost everyone gets this. Mayo does not have secondary essays, you just pay the fee and they look at your app.

If you pass the real screen, they send you a request for LORs.

Also, Mayo isn't as big on the stats as other schools. They place a huge emphasis on the personal statement and track record of community service, their median scores are pretty low for the caliber of program they run.
they were commenting bc there was a slight delay in our emails compared to others in the thread...

Anyone else still waiting to get fee requested?

Anyone else still waiting to get fee requested?
I only just got mine today, AMCAS verified 6/8. I wouldn't sweat it, they're still just working through them I think.

Nothing yet... Verified 6/4.....LizzyM ~79(new mcat so I am approximating)

I don't think it goes by verification or LizzyM scores bc I was verified much later than you guys ^^. Maybe it's all randomized~! Either way, I wouldn't stress out about it.

I'm deciding if I should apply here. I am URM with a 29 MCAT (P12, V6, B11), and a 3.85 GPA from UCLA. Lots of tutoring experience, spanish interpreting experience in the ER while shadowing physicians, other volunteer work, strong LORs, pretty sure good enough personal statement.

that 6 in verbal might get me screened though...should I not waste my money applying?

For the people who have received the fee request thus far, what day were you all verified?
I submitted day 1, I think I was verified June 6 or so (was out of the country, not checking email that often after I pushed the button).