2015-2016 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hah. I was wondering if I was gonna get an LOR request after reading this thread and I a quick search of my inbox confirmed I did. And I had already read the email. Durrr. 39/3.86 and have a PhD.

Sounds like the average candidate to medical school lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Got the fee waiver email on July 2, didn't get an LOR request today. Holding out a little bit of hope but I think that might be the end of the road

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to get an interview invite, it would be like when a tornado meets a volcano.
Sounds about right, but Rochester is not hardly on anyone's direct flight path, and it is really expensive to fly there from just about anywhere.
And I hope we don't get II in the middle of winter, as that can be brutal, and I'm a midwesterner!!
Thinking good thoughts for all of us.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds about right, but Rochester is not hardly on anyone's direct flight path, and it is really expensive to fly there from just about anywhere.
And I hope we don't get II in the middle of winter, as that can be brutal, and I'm a midwesterner!!
Thinking good thoughts for all of us.
I am willing to interview any day for Mayo. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email asking to clarify a pre-req so that they can continue in the screening process. Submitted my fee 7/2, counting that email as a small victory. Good luck everyone!

I am willing to interview any day for Mayo. :p
You say that until you're in Minnesota in the middle of February. There are a lot of days we don't get above zero and you ponder the meaninglessness of all existence (it is an awesome state though and I'm sad I'm leaving it.. but maybe I'll be back for med school!)

Got an email asking to clarify a pre-req so that they can continue in the screening process. Submitted my fee 7/2, counting that email as a small victory. Good luck everyone!

Hmm..that suggests people who submitted 7/2 still have hope.

You say that until you're in Minnesota in the middle of February. There are a lot of days we don't get above zero and you ponder the meaninglessness of all existence (it is an awesome state though and I'm sad I'm leaving it.. but maybe I'll be back for med school!)
True, but I assume that applicants who are willing to spend money for a chance to attend school at mayo for 4 years should at least be able to last an interview day, regardless of season. We shall see!

Reactions: 1 user
True, but I assume that applicants who are willing to spend money for a chance to attend school at mayo for 4 years should at least be able to last an interview day, regardless of season. We shall see!
I'm a tour guide for my school and I always tell people who go on my tours in February that it's a good thing they saw us at our worst because it can only get better from there haha. (Midwest school btw).

"Greetings from Mayo Medical School!

Thank you for your application fee payment. Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. We do not request letters of recommendation from all applicants. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS."

So if you already added letters to Mayo when you added them to AMCAS, do you get an email requesting letters?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your application fee payment. Please note that Mayo Medical School does not have a secondary application. We do not request letters of recommendation from all applicants. When letters of recommendation are needed for your file, you will be notified via email.

If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS."

So if you already added letters to Mayo when you added them to AMCAS, do you get an email requesting letters?

yes

Paid the fee 7/5, no LOR request yet! Reallyyy hoping I'm in the next batch!

is this the LOR email or the payment confirmed email? just to make sure. When I got my confirmation for payment it wasn't this it was like an automated receipt and no message.

is this the LOR email or the payment confirmed email? just to make sure. When I got my confirmation for payment it wasn't this it was like an automated receipt and no message.
I think I got the message you quoted but deleted it on my email.

so its the payment confirmation?...strange I never received that one. only a receipt type email

so its the payment confirmation?...strange I never received that one. only a receipt type email
The LOR request email is titled "Mayo Medical School - Request for Letters of Reference" and in the body of the letter it'll say "To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference."

In truth, I am gunning for a residency because I don't think I am interesting enough for med school.
Still, if any adcoms are lurking, I will love you forever.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the receipt-type e-mail (saying my payment went through) after paying yesterday and got the same e-mail @Pastamahn posted just this afternoon.
hooray! maybe they haven't processed my payment yet and I will receive that confirmation soon. that means I might still have a chance!
..it's the little things :)

Do we know when they start sending out invitations for interviews?

How long did it take you from payment confirmation to LOR request? Also, does anyone know if there's any way to check status (aka make sure I entered my AAMC ID right on my payment)?

How long did it take you from payment confirmation to LOR request? Also, does anyone know if there's any way to check status (aka make sure I entered my AAMC ID right on my payment)?

It took me a week to go from payment confirmation to LOR. Not sure about status, you could try emailing them.

Has anyone received an email confirming that LORs have been received? It looks like last year they were sending those out.

It took me a week to go from payment confirmation to LOR. Not sure about status, you could try emailing them.

Has anyone received an email confirming that LORs have been received? It looks like last year they were sending those out.

I just don't want to bug them >.< to email or not to email...... (my payment was 7/2 so more than a week by now)

I just don't want to bug them >.< to email or not to email...... (my payment was 7/2 so more than a week by now)
I know that they send out the LOR requests in batches, so maybe sit tight for a little while longer? It is the weekend right now.

Don't sweat it. We're all in the same boat so we should treat each other well while we're at it!

I actually almost started a premeds4premeds club at my school for a place that premeds who just want to make friends can come to a 'safe' place lol (my school's premeds are competitive sometimes to a hunger games level)

Paid the fee 7/5, no LOR request yet! Reallyyy hoping I'm in the next batch!

Same! I hope they revisit older applications alongside each upcoming batch of LOR requests. Good thing about Mayo is they let people like us know our outcomes soon rather than emailing us next April.

Did anyone else JUST get a duplicate "we got your app from AMCAS" email? I'd already received this email on 7/2 and paid the fee the same day... but no LOR request so far..?

Update: Just got a duplicate "fee received" email

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what Mayo's policy on sending in update letters is? I'm doing a research internship during my gap year that I wasn't able to mention on my AMCAS. Thanks!

Did anyone else JUST get a duplicate "we got your app from AMCAS" email? I'd already received this email on 7/2 and paid the fee the same day... but no LOR request so far..?

I never received the original fee received email, only this one right now, but I did get a duplicate app received email. no LOR request. hey at least mayo is thinking about me :)

What's the significance of the email saying:

**THIS EMAIL WAS NOT RECEIVED BY ALL MAYO MEDICAL SCHOOL APPLICANTS WHO PAID THEIR FEE ON JULY 2, 2015.**

I think it's saying people like me, who paid the fee on July 2nd, never received any confirmation email, so they sent it out again to all the July 2 payers.

I never received the original fee received email, only this one right now, but I did get a duplicate app received email. no LOR request. hey at least mayo is thinking about me :)

Love it :) That's definitely the right way to be thinking! Haha..

I'm a tour guide for my school and I always tell people who go on my tours in February that it's a good thing they saw us at our worst because it can only get better from there haha. (Midwest school btw).

I was also a tour guide at a midwest school...who said the exact same thing about said school giving tours in the dead of winter. We may have been tour guides together haha :p

Got it as well. Now for wait. And the impending rejection.

*opens duplicate emails*
Mayo, you tease, you.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the email confirming that Mayo had received my primary AMCAS application on July 2nd and I haven't received a fee request yet. Is anybody else in the same boat? Hopefully this doesn't spell bad news for me.

Got my LoR email a week after I paid the fee (7/2 fee, 7/9 LoR). So...what comes after LoR? Is it true they do a mini phone screening before the real interview?

Never got the July 2 email and didn't get duplicate today :( but I did call them and they said they had it, so that's what matters I guess?

Got my LoR email a week after I paid the fee (7/2 fee, 7/9 LoR). So...what comes after LoR? Is it true they do a mini phone screening before the real interview?

Where did you hear that? Genuinely curious because I never pay attention to my phone lol

I have never heard anything about the phone. I have only heard that about one of the Michigan schools.

Where did you hear that? Genuinely curious because I never pay attention to my phone lol

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/does-mayo-screen-pre-secondary.81572/

From and old Mayo thread:

mpp
SDN Moderator

Correct. It is a blanket $60 for everybody to apply to Mayo . Then, they'll pick about 30 percent to do a phone interview which is really their secondary. Think of the phone interview as an on-the-spot secondary. There is no time to sit down and write, and re-write your answer to the questions. You just have one shot. The questions can be a bit strange. Some are just yes/no. Then depending on how you answer you might be asked for more detail. There is absolutely no feedback during the interview. There is no clarification of the questions (and some of them will throw you a bit). They will re-read questions if needed.

From those that interview by phone, they'll pick about 30 percent to invite for an in-person interview in Rochester. Typically about 30 percent of those interviewed in-person will be accepted. There is no waitlist. After the in-person interview, each person is ranked. They then accept the top few ranked scores once each month. Some people are accepted a couple of weeks after the interview. Others several months after. They do not accept updates (more letters, etc.) after the interview. The on-site interview is two separate ~45 minute interviews. One with a science/clinical faculty member. The other with either a resident or someone else not directly associated with the school.

I have heard (rumor, no confirmation) that the admissions committee that does the final ranking consists of a mix of science and clinical faculty, administration, and even a member from the community not associated with the medical school or the Mayo Clinic.

This is SMW again:
You can do a search and get a lot of your questions answered. Good luck on getting that initial phone interview.:)

This forum is pretttyyyy old though (2003 but quote is from 2001) so wasn't really sure if they did that anymore. From the looks of more recent application cycles, it just looks like it's LoR email, then an email saying the LoR has been received and the application is in the final stages of review before interviews.