2015-2016 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Sand dude Congratulations! What day did you interview again? Also did they call/email you? If anyone else drops there acceptance or is accepted in the near future please post on this forum so we know when to expect waitlist movement! Here's to hoping many more acceptances are on the horizon:)
I interviewed in January. I don't think there's an order by interview date if that is what you are wondering. The offer was made by phone call.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any new info? Is all hope pretty much lost at this point?

Orientation is June 20 so you may see movement until then. I recommend setting plan b in motion at this point, though.

I guess they don't always get through the top 10% waitlist or maybe this year is just slow but I'm sure we'll see more movement in the future and we just have to keep working towards our dreams if not!

Well at this point, it seems like they're full and it's a one out-one in sort of deal. If someone withdraws, we just gotta hope we're next on the list. I could be wrong but that's what I'm assuming.

Good luck to everyone and a hearty congratulations to everyone who's made it to their school of choice!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have advice for those who applied and didn't get in this cycle and are attempting to take the mcat again to improve their chances? I feel stressed because I'm cramming for the MCAT which is my fault bc I should have been studying all year in case I didn't get in...

Does anyone have advice for those who applied and didn't get in this cycle and are attempting to take the mcat again to improve their chances? I feel stressed because I'm cramming for the MCAT which is my fault bc I should have been studying all year in case I didn't get in...
Listening....I'm in the same boat

I didn't take the new MCAT, but I can say that when it comes to a retry, the goal is to identify your weak points and work to strengthen them. My review book recommendations may be obsolete, so you should do your own research on those. Also, I'm not sure if the AAMC has updated practice MCATs, but I took them all when I studied. Just spread out mock exams, so they can reflect your progress.

My advice would be to avoid cramming, I know its late in the game and to say that seems crazy, but the MCAT is a beast of an exam, and if you didn't do well the first time, cramming for a quick retake is unlikely to yield positive results. If you can, take the summer and study for it, taking practice tests as you go, and if you have to wait a year to apply I would suggest doing so before rushing and rewriting and being dissatisfied with your result.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all have faith there are people still withdrawing applications so there might still be some movement.

If anyone is still looking for an apt please message me. I found a place (2br apartment) but would need a female roommate.

Hey y'all have faith there are people still withdrawing applications so there might still be some movement.

If anyone is still looking for an apt please message me. I found a place (2br apartment) but would need a female roommate.

Hey thanks for the update...did you call the office?

Members don't see this ad :)
This silence is making me nervous

so spoke to my friend who is a 2nd year and she mentioned that a few of her friends got the call the day before orientation...this is not to say that we shouldn't be putting other plans in motion...but it's still not over...yet.

has anyone called to ask about possible waitlist movement?

If you were in the top 10% waitlist and have been accepted please post (unless you already did) so we can update the list. Thanks:)

That it hasn't happened yet does not mean it won't eventually. The wait can really take its toll on us; however there is a creator who makes all things beautiful in his time. Stay strong and positive. I have been wait-listed by virtually all the schools I interviewed with. Wait-listed top 10% by Meharry. Interviewed 02/29. Staying positive and looking forward to the good news.

Reactions: 2 users
if you are on the waitlist or have been accepted but know you are attending somewhere else, please please withdraw sooner than later. I called the office today and was told that there are always people that wait til the very last minute to withdraw and even never withdraw at all for which admissions have to remove them which really drags out the process and gives very little time for those who take the spot!

Last edited:
if you are on the waitlist or have been accepted but know you are attending somewhere else, please please withdraw sooner than later. I called the office today and was told that there are always people that wait til the very last minute to withdraw and even never withdraw at all for which admissions have to remove them which really drags out the process and gives very little time for those who take the spot!
Hows that possible? They have April 31 deadline if they were accepted from regular cycle, and 2 week deadline if accepted through waitlist. They can only hold one acceptance at once, unless Meharry doesn't follow this rule somehow?

Hows that possible? They have April 31 deadline if they were accepted from regular cycle, and 2 week deadline if accepted through waitlist. They can only hold one acceptance at once, unless Meharry doesn't follow this rule somehow?
to be honest, i have no idea how this process works. maybe it has to do with people who have multiple acceptances or waitlists? can anyone else help answer this ?

is it possible to still be considered for the MHS program if you have not been contacted about it yet?

The wait list process in meharry is really confusing. I call them last week to ask more information. The lady told me that this year they will heavily depend on the wait list because they interviewed smaller number compare to last year. Weird.
why not much waitlist movement then :((((

why not much waitlist movement then :((((
I've for the most part lost all hope for this cycle. I've been working on my 2017 application but have been resisting the urge to submit in hopes of saving money. I wish this cycle had turned out differently but at the same time I've gotten further than ever before, and have inched a bit closer to my goals. Stay positive guys and keep pushing onward to the finish line :)

Reactions: 2 users
why does MSAR say that Meharry's waitlist is 50-60 spots.. ? this is all so confusing :shrug:

The deviation in this year waitlist movement in comparison to the previous years MAY BE as a result of the new Director of Admissions focusing primarily on applicants that wanted Meharry as their number one destination. This may explain the low numbers of accepted applicants declining their acceptances this year.

The deviation in this year waitlist movement in comparison to the previous years MAY BE as a result of the new Director of Admissions focusing primarily on applicants that wanted Meharry as their number one destination. This may explain the low numbers of accepted applicants declining their acceptances this year.
How would the admissions team determine if Meharry is an applicants number one choice

Secondary app and Interview.

i am pretty sure everyone would go into the interview and say in their secondary that Meharry was their number one choice in hopes of getting accepted... otherwise it would be pointless for them to apply and attend the interview .. right?

i am pretty sure everyone would go into the interview and say in their secondary that Meharry was their number one choice in hopes of getting accepted... otherwise it would be pointless for them to apply and attend the interview .. right?
On the day I interviewed, they said whenever they start getting applications around December, they could tell that it was coming from folks that has either been rejected or haven't heard back from their top choices. This is just one instance of how they could screen for applicants that truly desire to attend Meharry .

On the day I interviewed, they said whenever they start getting applications around December, they could tell that it was coming from folks that has either been rejected or haven't heard back from their top choices. This is just one instance of how they could screen for applicants that truly desire to attend Meharry .
Well that would be a poor way of distinguishing those who chose MMC as a top choice from those who do not.

Well that would be a poor way of distinguishing those who chose MMC as a top choice from those who do not.
You should not be so quick to draw conclusions. I'm sure that there are other technical aspects they do evaluate. Like I said earlier, it was just an instance.

You should not be so quick to draw conclusions. I'm sure that there are other technical aspects they do evaluate. Like I said earlier, it was just an instance.

I'm not really sure how it is possible for any school to accurately assess what your NUMBER ONE choice would be without blatantly asking you that question in your interview. And if asked, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us would NOT say the name of another school. This secondary basically asked us why Meharry. And I'm sure we all elaborated on why we love this school and why we WANT to be students here. Furthermore, the date with which you apply is not an accurate assessment of whether that's your number one choice. For example, I applied later because I took a late MCAT and had to wait for scores. Also, part of the interview process is for them to sell you on the school just as much as it is for you to sell yourself to the school. You may not know what your top choice is until you interview there and learn absolutely everything the school has to offer. Finally, I want to note that it seems like more people in this thread have indicated that they are withdrawing acceptances than those who have stated that they were accepted and are going. I did not go back and count this in the thread so I could be wrong but not by much.

But we are literally a week before classes start up. I'm praying for miracles this week. I wish everyone the best of luck. Keep faith!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not really sure how it is possible for any school to accurately assess what your NUMBER ONE choice would be without blatantly asking you that question in your interview. And if asked, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us would NOT say the name of another school. This secondary basically asked us why Meharry. And I'm sure we all elaborated on why we love this school and why we WANT to be students here. Furthermore, the date with which you apply is not an accurate assessment of whether that's your number one choice. For example, I applied later because I took a late MCAT and had to wait for scores. Also, part of the interview process is for them to sell you on the school just as much as it is for you to sell yourself to the school. You may not know what your top choice is until you interview there and learn absolutely everything the school has to offer. Finally, I want to note that it seems like more people in this thread have indicated that they are withdrawing acceptances than those who have stated that they were accepted and are going. I did not go back and count this in the thread so I could be wrong but not by much.

But we are literally a week before classes start up. I'm praying for miracles this week. I wish everyone the best of luck. Keep faith!
I agree that it will be difficult to completely know an applicant first choice but that does not mean they won't attempt to find out. As for the the December applications, I was only reteiorating what was said on my interview day and I'm sure the folks that intervewed on that day can attest to that.

I made the insinuation because I was brainstorming why this cycle was different from the others.

On a positive note, I have heard about folks being accepted a day before the first day of classes. Good luck to everyone still waiting. It's not over yet....

I agree it seems like a gross generalization...I would think they would be more sophisticated in choosing applicants to interview. Honestly I think the interview really does weed ppl out. At my interview day, there were more than a couple of ppl who were using Meharry as a backup. Someone asked me if I got accepted to my first choice med school, would I leave the Meharry interview before it ended. LOL I told them "no." and they said that they would lol

I agree it seems like a gross generalization...I would think they would be more sophisticated in choosing applicants to interview. Honestly I think the interview really does weed ppl out. At my interview day, there were more than a couple of ppl who were using Meharry as a backup. Someone asked me if I got accepted to my first choice med school, would I leave the Meharry interview before it ended. LOL I told them "no." and they said that they would lol
Exactly... when I interviewed, some people did not know the Mission statement of Meharry which made them to start scrambling when they were told that they must know the Mission if they want a successful interview.
I could easily identify Blackwarriorpoet in this forum because on the interview day, he was right on with his stats. He was well prepared and even corrected a speaker about the USMLE 1 pass rate stat. If a fellow applicant like me could easily observe that about him, then I'm quite sure the people interviewing will do a better job which they did.
Lets be real, submitting a primary application in December is pretty late. Most schools won't even look into those applications. It should not come as a surprise if Meharry decides not to process SOME of them.
Meharry may have realised that in the past people were using them as a back up plan. They may be trying to correct that in this cycle.

Last edited:
I think alot of us are just paranoid/disappointed in how Meharry and this cycle turned out. I don't think there is any way to judge what school is number one preference for a certain individual. From personal experience, I can assure you that I had thoroughly convinced my interviewer that Meharry was by far my number 1 choice. There came a point where he had to ask a question from the list that he was provided, and he started with "I already know the answer, but... *something about your number 1 school choice*". My interview had ended with "Wow, what a great start to a monday morning this has been". I am still sitting here, waiting like the rest of you.

Yea I think the new mcat made this cycle more competitive...just looking at past threads....meharry was rarely deadlocked by february...but I think if anyone got an interview this cycle and has to reapply...they should have a good shot with this upcoming cycle if they apply early.

Nope. Haven't heard anything either & I was waitlisted in the top 10% too. When I called last week I was told the the list hadn't moved since the 31st. I'm extremely disappointed in this application cycle too & a tad confused since the waitlist appeared to move quite frequently previous years. However I have began to (sadly) study for the Mcat to take this summer

So I see that orientation started today. Does anyone know if the last possible day for waitlist calls is the day before maps begins which is Friday or if it was right before orientation begins??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it was day of orientation but I was told the 20th

At orientation today, two students from my interview date got accepted from the top 10% waitlist and they are not on SDN. There maybe other students like that.

Anyone have last years secondary prompts? Trying to start writing for this program. I'm highly interested in it due to the focus on underserved communities. Hope they'll give me some OOS love.

Anybody get any scholarships? Tution is crazy expensive