You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
C
Clockwork Biology
Is it worth sending them updates? (i.e. are they receptive to updates?) If so, does anyone know what method would be best?
I updated through their portal. Go to User Profile>Document Upload
Perfect thank you! 🙂I updated through their portal. Go to User Profile>Document Upload
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear. But with those stats you'll probably get plenty of love elsewhere. =)Rejected today. Lizzy M 75-78. Submitted 8/5.
Sorry to hear. But with those stats you'll probably get plenty of love elsewhere. =)
Thanks! I am not too disheartened because Tulane is a bit more selective for "fit" and wants to maintain a reasonable yield. Was looking forward to some cajun food though :/ looks like I'll have to swing by the popeyes next door.
Haven't checked this thread in a while - has anyone with an interview heard back from the Student Housing Committee regarding the "stay with a student" program for interviewees? I registered for a match about a month ago, and my interview is in Oct. so I'm starting to wonder what's up...
Haven't checked this thread in a while - has anyone with an interview heard back from the Student Housing Committee regarding the "stay with a student" program for interviewees? I registered for a match about a month ago, and my interview is in Oct. so I'm starting to wonder what's up...
I got my housing match on Sept 7th for a Sept 21st interview (having registered in July). It can take a little bit. But my host was fabulous, it was worth the wait 😀
Another bit of advice for those looking to learn a bit more about Tulane:
Some people have a hard time researching the school because there is no one website that lists all the things that make Tulane awesome. Your best bet is poking around the random sites and drawing conclusions from the clubs we have, the things we advertise, etc. For example, our student government (MSG) website lists all the clubs at school, and the secondary questions usually point you in the direction of what Tulane admissions considers important selection criteria.
There is no one resource or website, unfortunately, so you have to spend a bit more time looking around and inferring from what is out there.
Some people have a hard time researching the school because there is no one website that lists all the things that make Tulane awesome. Your best bet is poking around the random sites and drawing conclusions from the clubs we have, the things we advertise, etc. For example, our student government (MSG) website lists all the clubs at school, and the secondary questions usually point you in the direction of what Tulane admissions considers important selection criteria.
There is no one resource or website, unfortunately, so you have to spend a bit more time looking around and inferring from what is out there.
Just now?Reeejected, complete 8/20, LizzyM 67. Not surprised though, this was a long shot for me! Good luck to those still in the running
Just now?
Late this morning
I have a random question/panic moment post secondary submission: What were the options for "Are you applying for one of the following combined degree programs?" on the secondary? I don't seem to have selected anything and I can't see the options now that I've submitted. I just see "Select one" next to the drop down arrow.
I'm hoping someone on here either has a really good memory or hasn't submitted yet and can let me know. Thank you!!
I'm hoping someone on here either has a really good memory or hasn't submitted yet and can let me know. Thank you!!
Complete 8/26, silence
though rejection letters have been coming...
though rejection letters have been coming...
C
Clockwork Biology
Complete 8/26, silencethough rejection letters have been coming...
I've been complete since 7/23
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In that case, change my emoticon to
and you can take the computer throwing one. haha
and you can take the computer throwing one. hahaI have a random question/panic moment post secondary submission: What were the options for "Are you applying for one of the following combined degree programs?" on the secondary? I don't seem to have selected anything and I can't see the options now that I've submitted. I just see "Select one" next to the drop down arrow.
I'm hoping someone on here either has a really good memory or hasn't submitted yet and can let me know. Thank you!!
Bump
Thanks for the advice! It is hard, as I'm realizing today. What are your favorite things about Tulane? What kinds of opportunities are available to students as far as research, abroad global health experiences, tutoring/mentoring, and service organizations?Another bit of advice for those looking to learn a bit more about Tulane:
Some people have a hard time researching the school because there is no one website that lists all the things that make Tulane awesome. Your best bet is poking around the random sites and drawing conclusions from the clubs we have, the things we advertise, etc. For example, our student government (MSG) website lists all the clubs at school, and the secondary questions usually point you in the direction of what Tulane admissions considers important selection criteria.
There is no one resource or website, unfortunately, so you have to spend a bit more time looking around and inferring from what is out there.
Not in my experience.the faculty interviews are closed file right?
the faculty interviews are closed file right?
Mine was closed file.
Odd. Mine definitely knew my application. I really enjoyed the convo though, because I dint have to introduce myself and could get right to the point.Mine was closed file.
Odd. Mine definitely knew my application. I really enjoyed the convo though, because I dint have to introduce myself and could get right to the point.
Interesting! My interviewer told me off the bat that the only thing they had was my name and AMCAS ID number.
...maybe that's just a bad sign for me, heh.
Nah. Don't read into it. I guess the answer to the original question is: it could go wither way.Interesting! My interviewer told me off the bat that the only thing they had was my name and AMCAS ID number.
...maybe that's just a bad sign for me, heh.
It's odd. Tulane says they're closed file, but during my conversation with the interviewer, he said "I read that" a few times when we talked about my experiences. And when I walked into his office, I'm almost certain he was reading my application. Maybe they don't have access to grades and test scores?? This never came up and could be the new "closed file."the faculty interviews are closed file right?
Nah. Don't read into it. I guess the answer to the original question is: it could go wither way.
It's odd. Tulane says they're closed file, but during my conversation with the interviewer, he said "I read that" a few times when we talked about my experiences. And when I walked into his office, I'm almost certain he was reading my application. Maybe they don't have access to grades and test scores?? This never came up and could be the new "closed file."
Oh man now I'm really freaked out, lol.
You have no reason to freak out! We're speculating about closed vs. open file, but we know that your application is what got you the interview in the first place. So even if it was open file, there was nothing in it that would keep you out since you interviewed.Oh man now I'm really freaked out, lol.
You are correct. The interviewers have a very limited amount of info on your for ice breakers. Secondary App and personal statement. No grades or scores are provided. They also know your undergrad and the state you come from.My faculty interviewer told me he read my file, however other people who had different faculty said they had a "blind" format. I know the website says it is supposed to be blind, but I think it is at the discretion of the interviewer.
Some like to read a few things about you and some prefer blind. It is nothing to read into
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when was the last time tulane showed some II love...?
Rejected, OOS. Overall 1 II, 3 rej, tons remaining.
513MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters gpa, lower ugpa, app complete 8/16.
I have a random question/panic moment post secondary submission: What were the options for "Are you applying for one of the following combined degree programs?" on the secondary? I don't seem to have selected anything and I can't see the options now that I've submitted. I just see "Select one" next to the drop down arrow.
I'm hoping someone on here either has a really good memory or hasn't submitted yet and can let me know. Thank you!!
The options are MD/PhD and MD/MBA. If you're not applying to either of those combined programs, I believe you should just skip the question.
Has anyone else submitted Mid-late july and still heard nothing?
Has anyone else submitted Mid-late july and still heard nothing?
I was complete 7/15 and still no II or rejection 🙁 haven't heard from them at all.
same hereI was complete 7/15 and still no II or rejection 🙁 haven't heard from them at all.
7/17
yup, you're not aloneHas anyone else submitted Mid-late july and still heard nothing?
Complete 8/20, LizzyM 73, got rejected just now. Have to say I'm a little disappointed, because I thought I was a good fit due to having done Americorps and a lot of community health volunteering. Good luck to everyone else though!
+1 rejected as well. There are hurricanes there anyway
+1 rejected as well. There are hurricanes there anyway
not funny to joke about.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice! It is hard, as I'm realizing today. What are your favorite things about Tulane? What kinds of opportunities are available to students as far as research, abroad global health experiences, tutoring/mentoring, and service organizations?
My favorite thing has to be the composition of the class. They chose us well. Everyone is as laid-back as medical students can get and we go out of the way to help each other out, both academically and extracurricularly. We're generally a happy and collaborative bunch.
As for the school itself, Tulane is very open to change and responds to student feedback promptly. They clearly want to keep improving as a school and give us what we want (within reason) to make our medical experience as good as it can be.
As for the rest of your questions:
Research - We have a formal research program (DeBakey Scholars) but it's also possible to get hooked onto a project on your own. A bunch of my classmates found research by going to interest group meetings and emailing professors asking about their projects. We're free labor. Who'd want to turn that down?
Abroad global health experiences - We have a fair amount of them. For the summer between M1 and M2 a bunch of people go abroad to volunteer at medical clinics all over the place. So you're not reinventing the wheel in figuring out what's out there. The school also has a couple clinics they run abroad that are specific to Tulane.
Tutoring/mentoring - We just started a new program for mentoring that connects all four classes with a faculty mentor. Before that, we had big sib/little sib type stuff so this is a more formalized version of that.
Service organizations - Check the MSG website. It's all on there.
not funny to joke about.
Sorry yeah that was a bit insensitive. My bad.
When can we expect to start hearing post II decisions?
I interviewed here recently and was floored by how much I loved it, so I jumped on last year's thread. Last year, they didn't start sending out acceptances immediately on 10/15, but they started to trickle out a few days later and quite a few people posted about receiving acceptances in the weeks that followed. I'm hoping that this year will be similar and that there's a chance we'll hear something before October is out, but who really knows if that'll be the case?When can we expect to start hearing post II decisions?
Definitely hoping for good news as well. Good luck to you!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K