2015-2016 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted back in October. E-mailed admissions and found that merit-based (COM) scholarships, if any are given, will be given in the acceptance letter.

Interesting. I was accepted in Mid December and when I got the congratulatory call from the assistant dean (I believe that's who it was) she told me they hadn't sent out any scholarships yet. Either way, I won't hold my breath!

Yeah what is the consensus on this?

i actually called the school to ask about why i hadn't heard anything since the last email indicated Feb 12. admissions said i should have gotten an email saying that it was moved back to this friday, so i'm not sure if it was just supposed to get to everyone but somehow didn't. either way, let's hope theres some good news for some of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the pre-II hold status too and I called them earlier today. They told me that this Friday I should hear something along with everyone else regardless if they received the addition pre-II hold email this month. She told me the reason why they moved up the date by 1 week is because they added the additional interview dates with the last one being on the 26th.

I'm on the pre-II hold status too and I called them earlier today. They told me that this Friday I should hear something along with everyone else regardless if they received the addition pre-II hold email this month. She told me the reason why they moved up the date by 1 week is because they added the additional interview dates with the last one being on the 26th.

the 26th of February?

See, panicking for nothing. Wait for Friday like everyone else. : )

Interesting that Tara Cunningham (from UA-COM phx) was viewing this thread earlier...

As much as I respect/like Tucson's program, I think it would be beneficial to their reputation to have more transparency during this process. Giving an estimate of when the next round of decisions will be released and not dragging people who have been interviewed through months of waiting would be good starts.

Reactions: 1 user
majority of people got the email so I dont think it is necessarily good news. lol good luck tomorrow everyone. does anyone know if interviewing this late in the cycle has negative consequences?

Reactions: 2 users
Do students or members of the admissions committee read this forum? I wonder if they know that the school's reputation takes a hit online because of the lack of communication/drawn out process. Perception/reputation matter because future applicants read these forums too. That's really unfortunate because the program itself is really good in terms of faculty/students/atmosphere/history.

Do students or members of the admissions committee read this forum? I wonder if they know that the school's reputation takes a hit online because of the lack of communication/drawn out process. Perception/reputation matter because future applicants read these forums too. That's really unfortunate because the program itself is really good in terms of faculty/students/atmosphere/history.

I don't understand why anyone would consider University of Arizona's process any more drawn out then any other medical school? There are schools that I applied to in august and have not heard a single word. No email, no letter, nothing.

People complained last year of monthly emails that let them know they were still under consideration. Now they are complaining that the school doesn't update them enough?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why anyone would consider University of Arizona's process any more drawn out then any other medical school? There are schools that I applied to in august and have not heard a single word. No email, no letter, nothing.

People complained last year of monthly emails that let them know they were still under consideration. Now they are complaining that the school doesn't update them enough?

Sorry, but saying that "other schools do it to" is not an adequate response.

1. I think most of the criticism is post-interview. Several schools (and the other school in Arizona) give you a date when you will hear back. Why compare yourself to schools that do a worse job?

2. The root of complaining about the monthly emails and lack of emails now is that the process is not transparent. The school doesn't give any indication if decisions are bi-monthly or monthly.

3. People who didn't even submit a secondary received pre-interview hold emails. That's not a good look.

Yes, several schools across the country do a bad job too...but why compare yourself to those schools? At the end of the day, medical schools receive so many applications that they get away with whatever they want with respect to their application process. It's unfortunate that applicants are mistreated like this.

Also, it's easy to say that when you've already been accepted somewhere and don't have to experience a high level of stress pretty much every day while you're waiting.

Last edited:
Also, my point is that UA Tucson is a great school. Why not take this feedback and improve their admissions process?

Reactions: 1 users
+1, all quiet on the western front. I have a feeling an axe is coming in my very near future...

Sorry, but saying that "other schools do it to" is not an adequate response.

1. I think most of the criticism is post-interview. Several schools (and the other school in Arizona) give you a date when you will hear back. Why compare yourself to schools that do a worse job?

2. The root of complaining about the monthly emails and lack of emails now is that the process is not transparent. The school doesn't give any indication if decisions are bi-monthly or monthly.

3. People who didn't even submit a secondary received pre-interview hold emails. That's not a good look.

Yes, several schools across the country do a bad job too...but why compare yourself to those schools? At the end of the day, medical schools receive so many applications that they get away with whatever they want with respect to their application process. It's unfortunate that applicants are mistreated like this.

Also, it's easy to say that when you've already been accepted somewhere and don't have to experience a high level of stress pretty much every day while you're waiting.

When you are checking this forum 15 times per day hoping to gain information, the high level of stress is probably self induced. You might find life less stressful not worrying about things that are no longer under your control. Submit your app and let them respond when they will. As said above, some schools give complete silence. This is not said to be mean, but as practical advice on how to reduce stress on things you cannot control.

Reactions: 3 users
When you are checking this forum 15 times per day hoping to gain information, the high level of stress is probably self induced. You might find life less stressful not worrying about things that are no longer under your control. Submit your app and let them respond when they will. As said above, some schools give complete silence. This is not said to be mean, but as practical advice on how to reduce stress on things you cannot control.
You definitely have a point.

But again, sending out interview hold emails to people who have not submitted secondaries is not a good look for any school. Also, I don't think "all schools do it" is proper justification. In that case, I extend my criticism to all schools. Emulate the ones who do a better job.

I think all schools would benefit from having admissions deans like Dr. Cunningham at Phoenix.

I think all schools would benefit from having admissions deans like Dr. Cunningham at Phoenix.
Well, I don't know much about her, but it's nice that the school has someone communicate with people on SDN. A lot of people use/check these forums.

You definitely have a point.

But again, sending out interview hold emails to people who have not submitted secondaries is not a good look for any school. Also, I don't think "all schools do it" is proper justification. In that case, I extend my criticism to all schools. Emulate the ones who do a better job.
Interesting that Tara Cunningham (from UA-COM phx) was viewing this thread earlier...

As much as I respect/like Tucson's program, I think it would be beneficial to their reputation to have more transparency during this process. Giving an estimate of when the next round of decisions will be released and not dragging people who have been interviewed through months of waiting would be good starts.
I'm sure UA (or really any med school for that matter) isn't all that concerned by what a few neurotic pre-meds say about them on an anonymous, non-professional forum, nor do I think that the opinions of anyone here will have any bearing on whether or not the Dean down at UA Tuscon sleeps a little better tonight.

In other news, I too am waiting for (and completely expecting) that dreaded rejection email. I suspect it will come in the next hour or two. Good luck to all of you! Sucks that we got so close to an II, but not quite close enough. Oh well.

between the portal, my e-mail, and SDN.. I don't think i've ever hit the refresh button so much.. really hoping today doesn't end like February 12th did!

Reactions: 3 users
It would be rather disappointing if they skipped their own deadline twice. I'm sure it's a nix at this point, but the closure would be nice hah.

between the portal, my e-mail, and SDN.. I don't think i've ever hit the refresh button so much.. really hoping today doesn't end like February 12th did!
Go out and enjoy the fresh air. Stressing will only make things worse if there is no good news.

Finally...that desperately awaited closure!

Just got the email. Nixed as expected, but at least it's over. Best of luck to you all through the end of the cycle!

Haven't received an email yet...anyone else?

Last edited:
Rejected. Peace out, best of luck to those still interviewing!

rejection here too. pretty strange to push back their deadline if they didn't end up offering any more interviews right?

No email yet. Hopefully it is a good sign.

Reactions: 2 users
Are we looking at rejection before or after interview?

My favorite line from the rejection email

"We hope that by notifying you of our decision at this time, you will be able to direct your efforts toward other schools or perhaps the new application cycle beginning in June."

if you say so, U of A. If you say so.

Reactions: 5 users
So...no rejection email means "rejected, but we just forgot to email you", right? +pity+

Same boat. But technically ~4 hours left in the day PST. Plentyyyyy of time to join the mass rejection party :hardy:

(or the slim chance of staring the II party :banana:)

My favorite line from the rejection email

"We hope that by notifying you of our decision at this time, you will be able to direct your efforts toward other schools or perhaps the new application cycle beginning in June."

if you say so, U of A. If you say so.

That line gave me déjà vu.

So the consensus here is it is useless to send a LOI after interview since they do not accept it? I guess I am desperate:(

Anyone else still waiting for the email? Pretty disappointed with their process at this point. Why give specific dates if they're not going to stick to them?