2015-2016 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info yalls!

I didn't manage to finish NeedAccess until early March, hope it'll be enough time to get this back before second look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my scrub top and note from my student interviewer in the mail today! :love: Accepted in December. I live in Chicago, so those of you farther away should be getting yours shortly!

+1 couple of days back. On the West Coast

Just received call with offer of 100K merit scholarship! So excited!!!!! Accepted back in December.

So I have a few questions about these merit scholarships, and I apologize if I am repeating anything already addressed earlier:

1) Distribution of Scholarships:
-How many students receive some form of merit scholarship?
-What percentage of students would you say receive a significant scholarship (100K or more)?
-How many of each kind of scholarships are given out? From what I can tell there is a 200K scholarship, which seems to be a full-tuition scholarship, and a 100K scholarship which seems to be a half-tuition scholarship. Are there any other scholarships? And roughly what percentage of the class receives each type of these scholarships?

2) Effect of Merit Aid on Need-Based Aid
-How does receiving a merit scholarship affect financial aid package. Let's say Student X was theoretically qualified to receive 100K in total need-based grants. If student X received a 100K merit based scholarship, would s/he not receive need-based grants?

Hoping to get some input from current students or people who know a lot about this process!

I don't have exact answers, but UChicago gives out a LOT of merit scholarships. (UChicago and Vandy are the 2 schools known for giving lots of money.) And I know for certain they don't only do it in increments of 100K (myself is an example, and countless others who posted earlier on this thread). And they certainly do give out scholarships greater than 200K, since that isn't even full tuition. (don't be decived by the 1st year UChicago tuition. 3rd and 4th years are significantly more expensive than 1st and 2nd year.)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have exact answers, but UChicago gives out a LOT of merit scholarships. (UChicago and Vandy are the 2 schools known for giving lots of money.) And I know for certain they don't only do it in increments of 100K (myself is an example, and countless others who posted earlier on this thread). And they certainly do give out scholarships greater than 200K, since that isn't even full tuition. (don't be decived by the 1st year UChicago tuition. 3rd and 4th years are significantly more expensive than 1st and 2nd year.)
True! I noticed that as it is different than most schools.

n.b.:
This year, if you average the tuition over the 4 years, it comes to about $59.5k (vs $51k for years 1-2). This means the $180k scholarship a lot of people have reported is more like 75% tuition rather than 90% tuition. Still very generous!

The scholarship total is given as an even split over the 14 quarters at Pritzker. With the exception of the expected tuition increase per year, the tuition remains the same per quarter. The first year has a total of 3 fully billed quarters (Summer anatomy is a strangely financed time with tuition being a few hundred), the second year also has 3 quarters, while the third and fourth years have 4 - this accounts for increased COA for years 3/4.

Pritzker is beyond great! You should all come to pritzker and let me know if you have any questions!

The scholarship total is given as an even split over the 14 quarters at Pritzker. With the exception of the expected tuition increase per year, the tuition remains the same per quarter. The first year has a total of 3 fully billed quarters (Summer anatomy is a strangely financed time with tuition being a few hundred), the second year also has 3 quarters, while the third and fourth years have 4 - this accounts for increased COA for years 3/4.

Pritzker is beyond great! You should all come to pritzker and let me know if you have any questions!

Yup, I understand that UChicago's med school runs on the quarter system, and I wasn't at all suggesting it wasn't worth it. Simply pointing out that I don't believe there's any other med school that runs on the quarter system, as all the other schools (that I've seen) have a flat tuition for each year regardless of how many months you're there for the year. Just wanted to point it out so that people all were aware of how UChicago tuition works and don't get surprised in 3rd year when the tuition is a little more expensive.

Any acceptances today?
It seems like they've been sending them out on Tuesdays

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys anticipate any continued list movement in April? Uchicago ' s my single-most top choice at the moment and don't know if it's too late to send in a letter of interest.

Last edited:
Do you guys anticipate any continued list movement in April? Uchicago ' s my single-most top choice at the movement and don't know if it's too late to send in a letter of interest.
Probably in late April since a lot of second looks would have taken place already. A letter of interest wouldn't hurt.

Currently looking for an apartment since I've decided to attend UChicago (wooo!). Do any current students or Chicago natives have advice on where to look? I know about some of the bigger landlords (i.e. Mac, which seems predatory) as well as the UChicago Marketplace but was wondering if there's anything I'm missing. @NickNaylor @Tots @ChemEngMD

Reactions: 1 users
Currently looking for an apartment since I've decided to attend UChicago (wooo!). Do any current students or Chicago natives have advice on where to look? I know about some of the bigger landlords (i.e. Mac, which seems predatory) as well as the UChicago Marketplace but was wondering if there's anything I'm missing. @NickNaylor @Tots @ChemEngMD

If you live in the area or can make a housing-focused visit, I'd recommend just walking around and checking buildings out. If you're unfamiliar with Chicago I'd recommend staying in Hyde Park for at least the first year and then branching out after that if you prefer the downtown or North Side scene.

If you won't be able to make a dedicated housing visit, I'd recommend checking out at least a couple of the bigger buildings in the area (Regents, The Algonquin to name a couple) if you're going to make it to Revisit. Another option is graduate student housing provided by the university, which includes a bunch of walk-ups spread throughout the neighborhood. These are generally not super nice (with some not being bad, either) but they're pretty affordable and maintenance is done by the university, which is a plus.

In addition to the U of C Marketplace I also used Hotpads to check out apartments. I think the best bang for your buck though will be to walk around and see what buildings have signs up saying that they have a unit available. Not efficient, but that way you can actually see the buildings and possibly the unit. The problem with walk-ups is that they're all very different. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable signing a lease on a place before I had a chance to see it. Also, as summer gets closer current students may send out information to you about places they're leaving and trying to rent out.

Hey man,

First of all - congrats! Great choice.

I'd say this all depends on what you're looking for. First of all, there will be a document that will be made and posted in the FB group at some point for people who are looking for roommates, etc. That's how I found my current roommate. I know my year some people had apartments already found because they lived in the immediate area and simply were looking for people to help fill them.

Personally when I moved here I was coming back from abroad and didn't have the time/energy to hunt for a good apartment, buy furniture, etc. So I chose a safe and reliable option - Grad Student housing. There aren't a ton of people who use this option beyond first year but I definitely think it was sufficient and affordable. We lived in a 2 bedroom that was furnished. Sure, it was old and kinda beat up and the furniture looked like it was from dorms but it made life so much more convenient and less anxiety provoking.

We used Craig's List to find our current apartment. We got lucky and found one that was actually owned by a Pritzker alum. You'll find beyond first year a lot of fourth years will start offering up their old apartments because landlords like to rent to med students. So you'll have first shot at some pretty nice places.

I'd say it's pretty rare people stay in the same spot 2nd year as 1st year - most people are just looking for something that will suffice and get you through first year haha

If you have any more ?s let me know.

-Chem

Does anyone know if movement of continued applicants picks up after Traffic Day?

Ooops I should have picked up my scrub top while I was revisiting, huh

Does anyone know if movement of continued applicants picks up after Traffic Day?
Generally yes because they will know how many people have officially declined by then. However, this is not necessarily true because if there is a larger number of people who decide to accept this year than usual, it could mean that there is very little movement on continued applicants.

It is also worth noting that this year's deadline is May 2, not April 30 because April 30 is not a business day (Saturday)

For what it's worth, there was really high turnout for revisit, which I imagine might indicate a higher yield.

Second Look was so dope...definitely made a huge impression on me. I mean, I got to meet and room with the legendary @Krabbeman...it doesn't get much better than that XD

Reactions: 4 users
Second Look was so dope...definitely made a huge impression on me. I mean, I got to meet and room with the legendary @Krabbeman...it doesn't get much better than that XD
+1000. Although I don't know who I met from SDN exactly (if it was you, message me!), but Pritzker's SLW was absolutely incredible.

Reactions: 2 users
I second all of these posts. Second look was too awesome, swayed me the rest of the way and I'll be attending Pritzker!!!! You all were amazing too ;)

Reactions: 3 users
For what it's worth, there was really high turnout for revisit, which I imagine might indicate a higher yield.
After speaking with some MS1s and faculty I think they are slightly worrying about over-enrollment due to the alarmingly high turnout for revisit.
We will see what happens!
Unfortunately, it seems HIGHLY unlikely anyone will be admitted anytime soon off of the continued list.

After speaking with some MS1s and faculty I think they are slightly worrying about over-enrollment due to the alarmingly high turnout for revisit.
Unfortunately, it seems HIGHLY unlikely anyone will be admitted anytime soon off of the continued list.

You think the April snow would have scared people away.

It was fun hosting some of you and meeting some of you at social rounds. Let me know if I can help answer anyones last minute questions.

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see how only 88 students would choose to matriculate there.

Reactions: 1 users

It was fun hosting some of you and meeting some of you at social rounds. Let me know if I can help answer anyones last minute questions.

I feel like I should probably know this already, but are the lectures video podcasted? How many people actually go to lecture? How much required small-group stuff is there?

I feel like I should probably know this already, but are the lectures video podcasted? How many people actually go to lecture? How much required small-group stuff is there?
I believe the lectures are recorded. Apparently about 20 students go to lecture, from what I heard. And, there are a few required small group things (lab definitely, especially if you're the student who must present the information to your group) and there are some required electives (once or twice a week). But, this is just what I've heard from the students here. There could be more required stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion regarding the clinical years at Pritzker?

Anyone still not get their package? I've been submitted for over 3 weeks now..

Very good chance UChicago has hit budget for now and will have to wait past April 30 to see how much money frees up.

I am getting the feeling that I will get no aid from here.. Esp if there is concern of overenrollment

Hey Everybody,

Quick question: does anyone know if Pritzker has a Facebook page for the Class of 2018 or 2019? I have a friend who will be doing research there over the summer and is looking for short-term housing options near the school.

Thanks!

Called admissions and said that as of April 28th 2 PM E.T. there are 148 admitted students still holding their admission. I don't think is looking very well for us....

Called admissions and said that as of April 28th 2 PM E.T. there are 148 admitted students still holding their admission. I don't think is looking very well for us....
Yeah, Pritzker did too good of a job this year.

Wow that does seem like a lot this late in April for 88 spots.

I heard that they probably won't be extending acceptances to waitlist folks (if they do) until after May 15th

Holy moly I think Pritzker is going to over enroll this year..let's see how they handle it

unfortunately, minus one here. but plus one for y'all folks waiting. you deserve a shot!!! good luck :)