2015-2016 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted with full tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you that got full tuition, did they tell you full tuition or did they give you a $ amount and you're interpreting that as full tuition?

For those of you that got full tuition, did they tell you full tuition or did they give you a $ amount and you're interpreting that as full tuition?

In the past, there was a distinct difference between full tuition and a dollar amount which appears to cover full tuition. Full tuition will cover increases in tuition which are almost guaranteed to happen. Dollar amounts which appear to cover full tuition will not, thus they aren't truly full tuition when taking into account changes in the price of tuition in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)

When I got the call, I was told full tuition---no dollar amount was given.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless things have changed for this year, applicants are seldom rejected post-interview. The only time that's the case is if someone is particularly concerning.

However, applicants that are continued really are reviewed regularly. There is typically a slow period until about April or so when movement of continued applicants usually picks up. It's a year to year thing, though, so sometimes there may be no movement at all while other years there may be lots of movement.

Again, though, this is based on previous years and may not be accurate as things have changed quite a bit with the new admissions director.

Is there a distinction, besides the name, between continued and waitlist? I'm under the impression that there have been enough offers sent out to fill the class, and now they're just waiting for people to give up their spot in the class before extending offers to continued candidates? All this ambiguity is killing me. I realize the official waitlist isn't formed until June--just wondering if continued is a de facto waitlist in the mean time.

And by the way thanks for all your input in this thread--it has been really helpful.

Is there a distinction, besides the name, between continued and waitlist? I'm under the impression that there have been enough offers sent out to fill the class, and now they're just waiting for people to give up their spot in the class before extending offers to continued candidates? All this ambiguity is killing me. I realize the official waitlist isn't formed until June--just wondering if continued is a de facto waitlist in the mean time.

And by the way thanks for all your input in this thread--it has been really helpful.

Keep in mind that with the new admissions director, things may have changed this year. I'm not 100% sure if things are the same since I'm no longer there.

However, in the past, yes, the continued list was a de facto waitlist. Shortly before the AAMC deadline, the office would send out an e-mail and ask that people who wanted to remain on the waitlist e-mail them so that they know. As I said before, there is usually quite a bit of movement as the AAMC deadline approaches, but there was one year (out of the four I was there) where no one came off the continued list/waitlist. That was an anomaly, though.

Again, I don't know how accurate that information is now that things have changed a bit. Perhaps one of the other students who is more in-the-know with how things are operating now can come provide some insight.

Reactions: 1 user

To update what NickNaylor said, nothing has changed. Continued is essentially everyone that was not accepted post-interview. People get accepted off of the continued list throughout the year, for a variety of reasons (for example, one of my classmates was accepted after being continued because they had a particular concern about his application that was alleviated after finding out more information). So yes, it is essentially a waitlist. The official waitlist for the summer will probably be formed in June-ish

When I got the call, I was told full tuition---no dollar amount was given.
Full tuition means exactly what it sounds like - the scholarship covers the full cost of tuition. Because tuition increases yearly by an amount that is not necessarily predictable, the exact value of this scholarship is not given. Rather, it's a promise to cover your tuition in full regardless of the cost.

To update what NickNaylor said, nothing has changed. Continued is essentially everyone that was not accepted post-interview. People get accepted off of the continued list throughout the year, for a variety of reasons (for example, one of my classmates was accepted after being continued because they had a particular concern about his application that was alleviated after finding out more information). So yes, it is essentially a waitlist. The official waitlist for the summer will probably be formed in June-ish.
If you don't mind saying, how was the "more information" communicated? Did that applicant write an update or did the admissions office reach out about their concern?

To update what NickNaylor said, nothing has changed. Continued is essentially everyone that was not accepted post-interview. People get accepted off of the continued list throughout the year, for a variety of reasons (for example, one of my classmates was accepted after being continued because they had a particular concern about his application that was alleviated after finding out more information). So yes, it is essentially a waitlist. The official waitlist for the summer will probably be formed in June-ish

Full tuition means exactly what it sounds like - the scholarship covers the full cost of tuition. Because tuition increases yearly by an amount that is not necessarily predictable, the exact value of this scholarship is not given. Rather, it's a promise to cover your tuition in full regardless of the cost.

Thank you for clearing up the "Continued status" for us! I had a question: How far does a LOI indicating that Pritzker is my top-most choice go? Would you recommend me to send one in (if it really is)?

According to the MSAR, 9 candidates were accepted after being placed on the waiting list. This gives me hope that they accept a little more than that number off the continued list April+Early May's time.

I was frustrated though to see the trend where schools, especially Pritzker, have been extending more IIs than usual. Think a model like the University of Michigan's, with a post-interview acceptance rate of 70%, should be adopted by medical schools to help applicants save money in an already expensive application process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
According to the MSAR, 9 candidates were accepted after being placed on the waiting list. This gives me hope that they accept a little more than that number off the continued list April+Early May's time.

I was frustrated though to see the trend where schools, especially Pritzker, have been extending more IIs than usual. Think a model like the University of Michigan's, with a post-interview acceptance rate of 70%, should be adopted by medical schools to help applicants save money in an already expensive application process.

Fair point.

Although it is easy to say post-interview. Cause during the pre-interview stage, all of us just want the chance of getting interviewed (and thus fully welcome them interviewing more people)!

For those of y'all who are continued....there is hope!

Just got off the phone w/Leila...I was accepted and given 180k merit scholarship (not sure how much that translates tuition wise, but should be >50% was what I was told). Apparently the committee met today and a couple more acceptances were given out.

Super stoked...now I can bomb my two midterms tomorrow without worrying ;)

Don't give up! Wishing y'all the best!

Edit: Grammar

Reactions: 9 users
AHHHH congrats @Compositae !!

Does anyone know if we're supposed to send in parental tax returns and W-2s, or is it only upon request? The wording on the financial aid website was a bit ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just got off the phone w/Leila...I was accepted and given 180k merit scholarship (not sure how much that translates tuition wise, but should be >50% was what I was told). Apparently the committee met today and a couple more acceptances were given out.

Super stoked...now I can bomb my two midterms tomorrow without worrying ;)

Don't give up! Wishing y'all the best!

Edit: Grammar
Had you written a letter reiterating your interest?
Congrats!!

Anyone know if merit awards that have already been given out are ever increased as people decline their offers?

I was accepted and given 180k merit scholarship (not sure how much that translates tuition wise, but should be >50% was what I was told). Apparently the committee met today and a couple more acceptances were given out.
I hope you mean >50% cost of attendance

Anyone know if merit awards that have already been given out are ever increased as people decline their offers?
I think I read in an earlier year that their scholarship amounts are stratified so that if somebody with a higher scholarship than you drop their spot, you get moved into that slot and so on down the line. Still want to confirm this with a current student though. Also - if continued people are getting full scholarships, does that mean good news for those of us that were accepted earlier without being continued with merit scholarships but not full?

Hello all! This is my first post here, but just wanted to say that I was also accepted today with scholarship (literally a couple of hours ago) after being "continued" last month. And I'm ecstatic! I did send in a letter, and to be honest it's going to be a really, really tough decision with other acceptances, but man I loved Pritzker and the idea of living in Chicago.

So, to "continued" applicants, to reiterate what @Compositae said: there's hope! Definitely not necessary, but I think it does help to express interest through a letter if you have really good reasons for why you'd love to be at Pritzker. (For the record, I think I made a decent case as to why I'd love to be in an interdisciplinary environment and in the South Side with my letter. I don't think I did a great job of this in my previous update letter--didn't address Pritzker's unique strengths.)

I can also say that I've spent a lot of this application cycle getting caught up in typical pre-med neuroticism, and was initially stressed at numerous waitlists (including my "continued" status at Pritzker). However, in looking more closely at my other acceptances, I began to genuinely like them, and in talking to current students there, I really do believe I could have a great time going to those schools too and still achieve my long-term goals, even if those schools weren't my initial "top" choices. I think it's important to recognize that, and as stressful as it initially was, I'm glad I went through that process. I'll still be considering those other choices alongside Pritzker (though did I mention how much I love Pritkzer?) -- will see how financial aid turns out.

edit: will pretty much matriculate once I get the email

tl;dr: If you're "continued" and genuinely want to come to Pritzker, don't lose hope! Keep doing your thing and tell them you're interested! But also know that things really will work out for the best in the end. That seems to be a universal sentiment expressed by multiple peers already in medical school and beyond, and is one that I share too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello all! This is my first post here, but just wanted to say that I was also accepted today with scholarship (literally a couple of hours ago) after being "continued" last month. And I'm ecstatic! I did send in a letter, though nothing binding, and to be honest it's going to be a really, really tough decision with other acceptances, but man I loved Pritzker and the idea of living in Chicago.

So, to "continued" applicants, to reiterate what @Compositae said: there's hope! Definitely not necessary, but I think it does help to express interest through a letter if you have really good reasons for why you'd love to be at Pritzker. (For the record, I think I made a decent case as to why I'd love to be in an interdisciplinary environment and in the South Side with my letter. I don't think I did a great job of this in my previous update letter--didn't address Pritzker's unique strengths.)

I can also say that I've spent a lot of this application cycle getting caught up in typical pre-med neuroticism, and was initially stressed at numerous waitlists (including my "continued" status at Pritzker). However, in looking more closely at my other acceptances, I began to genuinely like them, and in talking to current students there, I really do believe I could have a great time going to those schools too and still achieve my long-term goals, even if those schools weren't my initial "top" choices. I think it's important to recognize that, and as stressful as it initially was, I'm glad I went through that process. I'll still be considering those other choices alongside Pritzker (though did I mention how much I love Pritkzer?) -- will see how financial aid turns out.

tl;dr: If you're "continued" and genuinely want to come to Pritzker, don't lose hope! Keep doing your thing and tell them you're interested! But also know that things really will work out for the best in the end. That seems to be a universal sentiment expressed by multiple peers already in medical school and beyond, and is one that I share too.
Congrats! When was your interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

$200k merit scholarship!! Accepted 10/15 without mention of merit money. Absolutely ecstatic! I think I screamed on the phone when I heard the news, whichis only partially okay because Leila was my interviewer. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
$200k merit scholarship!! Accepted 10/15 without mention of merit money. Absolutely ecstatic! I think I screamed on the phone when I heard the news, whichis only partially okay because Leila was my interviewer. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
OMG congrats!!! That's amazing! Did she just call out of the blue?

Wahoooooo! Get it, phuynh!

I bet that takes some financial stress off to have such a generous offer from an amazing school. Congratulations!

OMG congrats!!! That's amazing! Did she just call out of the blue?

Wahoooooo! Get it, phuynh!

I bet that takes some financial stress off to have such a generous offer from an amazing school. Congratulations!

Thank you both!! Honestly, this feels unreal, and I'm so incredibly fortunate. It definitely feels out of the blue, but she told me that the scholarship committee met yesterday, and calls are still going out! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you both!! Honestly, this feels unreal, and I'm so incredibly fortunate. It definitely feels out of the blue, but she told me that the scholarship committee met yesterday, and calls are still going out! Best of luck to everyone!
Calls are only going out to people that won the scholarships or even just regular acceptances?

Just received call with offer of 100K merit scholarship! So excited!!!!! Accepted back in December.

So I have a few questions about these merit scholarships, and I apologize if I am repeating anything already addressed earlier:

1) Distribution of Scholarships:
-How many students receive some form of merit scholarship?
-What percentage of students would you say receive a significant scholarship (100K or more)?
-How many of each kind of scholarships are given out? From what I can tell there is a 200K scholarship, which seems to be a full-tuition scholarship, and a 100K scholarship which seems to be a half-tuition scholarship. Are there any other scholarships? And roughly what percentage of the class receives each type of these scholarships?

2) Effect of Merit Aid on Need-Based Aid
-How does receiving a merit scholarship affect financial aid package. Let's say Student X was theoretically qualified to receive 100K in total need-based grants. If student X received a 100K merit based scholarship, would s/he not receive need-based grants?

Hoping to get some input from current students or people who know a lot about this process!

Just received call with offer of 100K merit scholarship! So excited!!!!! Accepted back in December.

So I have a few questions about these merit scholarships, and I apologize if I am repeating anything already addressed earlier:

-What percentage of students would you say receive a significant scholarship (100K or more)?
-How many of each kind of scholarships are given out? From what I can tell there is a 200K scholarship, which seems to be a full-tuition scholarship, and a 100K scholarship which seems to be a half-tuition scholarship. Are there any other scholarships? And roughly what percentage of the class receives each type of these scholarships?

-How does receiving a merit scholarship affect financial aid package. Let's say Student X was theoretically qualified to receive 100K in total need-based grants. If student X received a 100K merit based scholarship, would s/he not receive need-based grants?

Hoping to get some input from current students or people who know a lot about this process!

Dont really know the answer to any of the ques, but 200k is not full tuition scholarship. Full tuition will say full tuition on the award letter without a numerical value. 200k is close, but not full.

Bump?

So what about our scrub tops? Also, I'm definitely coming here next year! Really excited to meet everyone!!

So what about our scrub tops? Also, I'm definitely coming here next year! Really excited to meet everyone!!

I still haven't got mine. Been waiting since December. Anyone recently get theirs?

Does the 2016-17 MSAR say how many people Pritzker accepted off the waitlist last year?

Does the 2016-17 MSAR say how many people Pritzker accepted off the waitlist last year?
It says there were 9 applicants offered acceptances off the waitlist last year.

Could be worse I guess. On a rare note of optimism from me, I'm assuming that doesn't include people who squeezed in during the spring before the official waitlist is formed around early June. We continued candidates live to see another day.

Does anyone remember if a deposit had to be made to accept a spot in the class?

edit: also have not yet received my scrubs! accepted in dec

AHHHH congrats @Compositae !!

Does anyone know if we're supposed to send in parental tax returns and W-2s, or is it only upon request? The wording on the financial aid website was a bit ambiguous.

You send it in only if they request it! No need to submit to get a package award

Does anyone remember if a deposit had to be made to accept a spot in the class?

edit: also have not yet received my scrubs! accepted in dec

No deposit needed, no scrubs received.

Edit: maybe they're waiting until the April 30th deadline and only giving them to people only holding a pritzker acceptance?

It says there were 9 applicants offered acceptances off the waitlist last year.

Any idea if this includes MSTP applicants? There have already been 3 applicants from SDN alone this year who have been accepted off the waitlist for MSTP, so if that 9 number includes MSTP, it is actually quite depressing for both MSTP and regular MD :\

I think those three were accepted before the waitlist was created?

Any idea if this includes MSTP applicants? There have already been 3 applicants from SDN alone this year who have been accepted off the waitlist for MSTP, so if that 9 number includes MSTP, it is actually quite depressing for both MSTP and regular MD :\

I don't think there has been a wait list yet. A continued status is not the same as a wait list.

The Facebook group looks pretty full! I guess the pre-waitlist acceptances for Continued candidates are probably going to be pretty few, huh.

I think those three were accepted before the waitlist was created?

I don't think there has been a wait list yet. A continued status is not the same as a wait list.

Hmm, good point. The waitlist has already been created for the MSTP applicants but I guess not for the MD. No idea whether that number on MSAR is including MSTP but let's hope it is just for MD. I feel like more than 9 people will be accepted off the waitlist when MSTP + MD wait-listed applicants are considered.

Received a call after being continued in February. Early January interview.

This is a game-changer! Crossing fingers for those still waiting.

Reactions: 3 users
Received a call after being continued in February. Early January interview.

This is a game-changer! Crossing fingers for those still waiting.
Congrats!!!! Did you send an update or LOI?

Congrats!!!! Did you send an update or LOI?
Thanks! I'm really excited.

Yes, I sent an update and related what I was working on to my specific interest in Pritzker. It was not an LOI, though.

It is probably a good idea to express continued interest in some small way. They have a really small class so making it known that you are down for what you saw on interview day is likely helpful.

Congrats! Did you send your update fairly recently?

Financial Aid letter received yesterday. I live in SoCal, so for those accepted, you should be hearing back soon! It seems that the merit scholarship doesn't replace loans first, as it may be at other schools. Rather, it is COA - EFC - merit $$ = need.

That said, I am not complaining. At all.

Match List looks really great, for those interested. Lots of matches in specialties/hospitals that have seemed notoriously difficult in the past and seems on par with all top schools.

Financial Aid letter received yesterday. I live in SoCal, so for those accepted, you should be hearing back soon! It seems that the merit scholarship doesn't replace loans first, as it may be at other schools. Rather, it is COA - EFC - merit $$ = need.

That said, I am not complaining. At all.
Letter received as well
When did you guys finish your need access/fasfa apps?