2016-2017 Boston University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
Tags Tags
busm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected as well, complete 10/5. Despite it being a rejection, the letter gave me hope for other schools haha. Kudos to whomever wrote their rejection letter
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't believe I'm asking for this, but would you mind posting the text? I've received plenty of rejection letters by now, but I'm curious to see what Boston's looks like. Thanks!

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS

This email is being sent to inform you that new information regarding your application to Boston University School of Medicine has been posted to MyApplication at BUSM. To view this information and reply, please click on this link -> https://myapplication.bumc.bu.edu/2017/


Dear abcde,

The Committee on Admissions of Boston University School of Medicine has completed its review of your application. It is with great regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away.

Most of the candidates we are considering this year are qualified to attend medical school and are likely to make important contributions to our profession and to society. Sadly, with more than 100 applicants for every seat in the class, we are forced to deny many exceptional people.

We acknowledge and respect your accomplishments and recognize that our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions process is a loss for Boston University. Please accept our best wishes for all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Boston University School of Medicine

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address and cannot receive incoming e-mail messages or replies. Please use the Message Center in MyApplication ( https://myapplication.bumc.bu.edu/2017/ ) for communicating with us or you may contact us by telephone at 617/638-4630.
 
I was rejected but then I also received a follow up e-mail inviting me to review my application with Dean Witzburg. Did anyone else get this? I was told not everyone received this, anyone have any ideas why they reached out to me?
 
For those that interviewed, do you remember what Dr. Witzburg said with regards to how many acceptances they are offering this year? I'm trying to gauge the post-interview acceptance rate.
 
For those that interviewed, do you remember what Dr. Witzburg said with regards to how many acceptances they are offering this year? I'm trying to gauge the post-interview acceptance rate.

He had said that it was about 130 MD seats after you subtract special programs and deferred admissions from the total 180 acceptances.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
He had said that it was about 130 MD seats after you subtract special programs and deferred admissions from the total 180 acceptances.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile


Hi, thanks for responding. I understand how many seats there are, but I was wondering how many acceptance offers they hand out. Medical schools typically offer more acceptances than they have seats for to factor the students who end up opting to matriculate elsewhere.
 
Hi, thanks for responding. I understand how many seats there are, but I was wondering how many acceptance offers they hand out. Medical schools typically offer more acceptances than they have seats for to factor the students who end up opting to matriculate elsewhere.

He didn't specifically state that number for our group. All he said was 1/3 would be accepted in January and the other 2/3 in March. According to US News though, they say they accept 446 out of 1071 interviews for the 180 seats.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get the contact verification email? I was sittin on the toilet nonchalantly checking my phone and I was like WHATTTT when I got the alert 😱

edit: nvm, I see others have received it as well. Hopefully this means promising news?

I haven't interviewed yet and still received the email. Probably an automated check for everyone still in the running
 
I'm so tired of checking my email, SDN and being so paranoid. Can't wait for all of this to be done (hopefully with at least one acceptance)!
Haha unfortunately it doesn't even totally stop after you get acceptances. I'm still waiting on this school and going crazy!
 
Already interviewed here and just got the contact information verification e-mail;
I'm thinking it doesn't have much to do with status
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad