You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does Duke (or their readers, at least) select who to interview based on only secondaries, i.e. blinded to each applicants' stats? I got selected to interview but my numbers are way lower.
It's not all about numbers. They put a lot of weight on their secondary as suggested by the article below. If you got an interview you earned it. I read your post in the BU thread a few weeks ago, all the best and I hope you ace this interview.
https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/default/files/field/attachments/Capable of Brilliance.pdf
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How late does Duke interview?
How late does Duke interview?
Feb 13 was the last date I saw in their calendar
So do we hear back march 1st? Later? I don't remember lol interviewed a while ago
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They told us at a recent interview that the absolute latest they'll release decisions is March 8th.So do we hear back march 1st? Later? I don't remember lol interviewed a while ago
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Omg that's my 21st birthday!They told us at a recent interview that the absolute latest they'll release decisions is March 8th.
Mine is also right around there (the 9th), though I have a few years on you and my birthday is now less exciting. Will either be a happy or sad time depending on how acceptances go!Omg that's my 21st birthday!
Should be weekend on Friday March 17thPutting the cart before the horse, but for best-case-scenario planning, does anyone know when Second Look Weekend would be?
They told us at a recent interview that the absolute latest they'll release decisions is March 8th.
Should be weekend on Friday March 17th
Wow that gives no time at all to buy flights.... worth it if you get in I guess!
I recently interviewed at Duke and I am a long time lurker on SDN. I have been very lucky this cycle receiving II and acceptances. I interviewed at 4 US News top research schools (not a huge fan of rankings but they do give some relative perspective), which allowed me to make some personal comparisons. I wanted to see what others are thinking of Duke, because I was blown away. Right now it is my first choice. The facilities were amazing, the curriculum seems ideal, the students seem almost too happy. Duke is beautiful and Durham seems to be in a fantastic transition with urban renewal. The match lists are outstanding every year. I felt Duke provided the most supportive environment of all my visits. Anyone else really hoping to get in? Anyone else experience "love at first visit?" I am anxiously awaiting March.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not dumb mines next week and I had this same question! Also good Luck!!Interviewing tomorrow, and getting more and more excited about it! Hope this isn't a dumb question: do we get a pen and paper to take notes with during the MMIs?
I've interviewed at a few top 10 schools, and Duke remains my number one choice.I recently interviewed at Duke and I am a long time lurker on SDN. I have been very lucky this cycle receiving II and acceptances. I interviewed at 4 US News top research schools (not a huge fan of rankings but they do give some relative perspective), which allowed me to make some personal comparisons. I wanted to see what others are thinking of Duke, because I was blown away. Right now it is my first choice. The facilities were amazing, the curriculum seems ideal, the students seem almost too happy. Duke is beautiful and Durham seems to be in a fantastic transition with urban renewal. The match lists are outstanding every year. I felt Duke provided the most supportive environment of all my visits. Anyone else really hoping to get in? Anyone else experience "love at first visit?" I am anxiously awaiting March.
No notes. You'll be fine! You won't need them. 🙂Interviewing tomorrow, and getting more and more excited about it! Hope this isn't a dumb question: do we get a pen and paper to take notes with during the MMIs?
omg see you there!Interviewing tomorrow, and getting more and more excited about it! Hope this isn't a dumb question: do we get a pen and paper to take notes with during the MMIs?
Any of y'all who interviewed today had an MMI station where the rater was pretty stoic/harsh vibe/made strange comments about you?
Yeah I think that rater was probably told to act like thatAny of y'all who interviewed today had an MMI station where the rater was pretty stoic/harsh vibe/made strange comments about you?
Yeah I think that rater was probably told to act like that
Ok bless I wasn't the only one!! Duke is def awesome.
I wonder if there will be phone calls this year. It seems that the past two years applicants were told no calls and there were anyway.
is March 1st the consensus notification date?I wonder if there will be phone calls this year. It seems that the past two years applicants were told no calls and there were anyway.
is March 1st the consensus notification date?
I feel like the dean at my interview day mentioned something about calls, but then the portal says no applicants will be called.
That's what it says on the portal 3/1...but I heard some people say that they are aiming for 3/6
Oh well I guess we will see...but I think anytime the week of March 1st is when will be notifiedI feel like the dean at my interview day mentioned something about calls, but then the portal says no applicants will be called.
That's what it says on the portal 3/1...but I heard some people say that they are aiming for 3/6
At my interview day they said we should hear back by the first Monday in March, but they will try their best to release decisions by the end of Feb.
They also said we should all receive e-mails at some point but that there would also be phone calls.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They also said we should all receive e-mails at some point but that there would also be phone calls.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When did you interview?At my interview day they said we should hear back by the first Monday in March, but they will try their best to release decisions by the end of Feb.
They also said we should all receive e-mails at some point but that there would also be phone calls.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
DeletedWhen did you interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1, I was told the same.At my interview day they said we should hear back by the first Monday in March, but they will try their best to release decisions by the end of Feb.
They also said we should all receive e-mails at some point but that there would also be phone calls.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I heard first Monday in March, but I also interviewed back in November, so things could have easily changed!
At my interview day they said we should hear back by the first Monday in March, but they will try their best to release decisions by the end of Feb.
They also said we should all receive e-mails at some point but that there would also be phone calls.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I heard the same thing at my interview on Monday. Tbh not looking forward to it if it's as chaotic as last year's thread suggests. Plus I'm 0/3 with schools who do phone calls.
Edit: plus plus I interviewed this week so def not at the top of their list lol. Plus plus plus I am 0/4 with schools that have post-interview acceptance rate under 50%. So basically I am not looking forward to this.
I heard the same thing at my interview on Monday. Tbh not looking forward to it if it's as chaotic as last year's thread suggests. Plus I'm 0/3 with schools who do phone calls.
Edit: plus plus I interviewed this week so def not at the top of their list lol. Plus plus plus I am 0/4 with schools that have post-interview acceptance rate under 50%. So basically I am not looking forward to this.
I think Duke is a different kind of school (in a very positive way), so I hope you have better odds than what you have experienced so far.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
I think Duke is a different kind of school (in a very positive way), so I hope you have better odds than what you have experienced so far.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you!! I got into a school that Im very happy with so it's not the end of the world if this doesn't work out, but I really loved Duke so I'm hoping for the best!
I heard the same thing at my interview on Monday. Tbh not looking forward to it if it's as chaotic as last year's thread suggests. Plus I'm 0/3 with schools who do phone calls.
Edit: plus plus I interviewed this week so def not at the top of their list lol. Plus plus plus I am 0/4 with schools that have post-interview acceptance rate under 50%. So basically I am not looking forward to this.
I don't know about that plus plus edit. My thinking is that they interviewed everyone they initially wanted (note that they said they expected it to go to the 10th preliminarily), then went back through to see if there's anyone they really wanted to interview and had passed over for some reason, or if they should call it quits. So if they call you in this late (e.g. all my interview group for tomorrow to whom I have spoken, who got the invite last week), it's precisely because they were intrigued enough to extend that last-minute invite.
Then again, that may be wishful thinking.
I don't know about that plus plus edit. My thinking is that they interviewed everyone they initially wanted (note that they said they expected it to go to the 10th preliminarily), then went back through to see if there's anyone they really wanted to interview and had passed over for some reason, or if they should call it quits. So if they call you in this late (e.g. all my interview group for tomorrow to whom I have spoken, who got the invite last week), it's precisely because they were intrigued enough to extend that last-minute invite.
Then again, that may be wishful thinking.
I like that take on it, maybe you're right! I'm just a bit of a pessimist haha. Enjoy your interview tomorrow, it's a fun (but long) day!
Hi guys! I'm new to the thread, and I was wondering if anyone knows if tomorrow is the last interview day, or if they are extending into next week. I saw the posts above and wasn't sure. Thanks!
Hi guys! I'm new to the thread, and I was wondering if anyone knows if tomorrow is the last interview day, or if they are extending into next week. I saw the posts above and wasn't sure. Thanks!
It sounded to me like tomorrow was the last one. I'll let you know if I hear confirmation of that today, though.
I thought the 13th was the last interview day? But glad to hear more people are getting the chance to be considered for Duke!
Hi guys! I'm new to the thread, and I was wondering if anyone knows if tomorrow is the last interview day, or if they are extending into next week. I saw the posts above and wasn't sure. Thanks!
As I understood it, the last day was originally the 10th, and then they added on the 13th and today as the last 2.
When I called the admissions office about two weeks ago, they told me that our Application Status should have been updated the first week of February for those not invited to interview. My application status still says "Application Screening". Are they still reviewing apps?
Today was indeed the last interview day.
did they tell you when decisions are out
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did they tell you when decisions are out
On Monday they said the first Monday in March, but that they'd try for sooner if they can
did they tell you when decisions are out
They reiterated the first Monday in March, as others have reported.
Yes they are over. Last interview day was Feb 16thDoes anyone know if interviews are over?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K