2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the staff/faculty who commented on it said we'd hear back in the first Monday in March, so the 6th. This was as of the 16th of this month.
 
All the staff/faculty who commented on it said we'd hear back in the first Monday in March, so the 6th. This was as of the 16th of this month.
From what I heard, march 6th is the latest but they are shooting for as early as sometimes next week. Also the second look is on march 17th so it will be good to give accepted applicants at least 2 weeks.
 
Interviews at Duke have been over for a while now - 100% over.
If you haven't gotten an invite or a status update before February 13, you've been rejected.

It's been less than a week since the last interview, but they are done interviewing, yes. And I assume you are speaking to those who haven't received an II, since they're non-rolling?
 
I interviewed the first day in August. (5th I think...)

Not that it's a competition-- but I'd win ;D
 
It says on my portal that all notifications will go out via email anyways. I don't think they're doing calls this year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pretty sure at my interview they said they do give out phone calls to those accepted...but i dont really rememebr tbh

Yeah I was told yes calls by one person and no calls by another at my interview last week. If I had to bet I'd say the accepted students will receive calls despite what the portal says.
 
I have a friend who was involved in residency and medical school admissions for over a decade. He said it's a matter of legality/officiality. An acceptance over the phone without a letter/email is not binding or official-- it must be in writing through email for it to be valid. However most schools with a small class like Duke will do phone calls too because it's fun, exciting, and personal.
 
I have a friend who was involved in residency and medical school admissions for over a decade. He said it's a matter of legality/officiality. An acceptance over the phone without a letter/email is not binding or official-- it must be in writing through email for it to be valid. However most schools with a small class like Duke will do phone calls too because it's fun, exciting, and personal.

That makes sense. From what I gathered from last year's thread, they make phone calls to accepted students and then email a decision to everyone a few days or a week ish later.
 
I almost don't want next week to come, because right now theres still a chance I could go to Duke. If I get WL or rejected, that hope is dead. Ignorance sort of equals bliss. Stressed out, eating 500 reese's cups a day to ignore my feelings bliss, but still bliss.
 
When're we thinking? My money's on phone calls starting Monday.

That's what I was thinking as well. Last year, there was about a week between phone calls beginning and emails being sent out, and admissions said they were aiming to have all decisions out by Monday the 6th. I *might* restrict myself from coming on here next week to save myself the stress of knowing exactly when decisions have started going out, but I doubt it would be a successful effort.
 
That's what I was thinking as well. Last year, there was about a week between phone calls beginning and emails being sent out, and admissions said they were aiming to have all decisions out by Monday the 6th. I *might* restrict myself from coming on here next week to save myself the stress of knowing exactly when decisions have started going out, but I doubt it would be a successful effort.

Ah, crap. I was hoping all the decisions would go out on the 6th itself... Now I have to worry all next week?
 
That's what I was thinking as well. Last year, there was about a week between phone calls beginning and emails being sent out, and admissions said they were aiming to have all decisions out by Monday the 6th. I *might* restrict myself from coming on here next week to save myself the stress of knowing exactly when decisions have started going out, but I doubt it would be a successful effort.

Right!! I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread, then try to force myself with all of my willpower to NOT CHECK. I'm not feeling optimistic about my resolve, though haha


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anyone know their acceptance stats for those who interviewed? I want to say it's a little higher than some of the other top schools that interview around a thousand, but I get my schools mixed up on these things.
 
Anyone know their acceptance stats for those who interviewed? I want to say it's a little higher than some of the other top schools that interview around a thousand, but I get my schools mixed up on these things.

It's only 34% according to some guy on reddit who had access to US News and World Report 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just my thoughts, but I believe folks who get WL or accepted at least made the cut off. I heard like 450 of the 700-750 they interview make the cut off. But take that for whats its worth 🙂

I take it a bunch of people are rejected right off the bat, then, once decisions start going out?
 
I meant to ask if on the day they want to have their acceptances go out they also reject a lot of people, or if most people are de facto waitlisted.
I think they do all three: accept, waitlist and reject around the same time (within days of each other).
 
Just my thoughts, but I believe folks who get WL or accepted at least made the cut off. I heard like 450 of the 700-750 they interview make the cut off. But take that for whats its worth 🙂

damn so only a little over half of the people who interview are even considered after the interview?
 
So if you don't make the cutoff then you don't get sent to the executive committee?
YES. The believe is that if you don't average a certain score on the MMI then you don't fit what they are looking so why waste time reviewing such student. Also the committee has limited time so this is a way to limit their load. I believe they remove the highest and lowest score...Oh well, everything will come into light this coming week
 
If one makes it past the MMI score cut off and to the executive committee, one's chances goes up significantly. So the 34% won't apply to everyone

this is a skewed number though...based on world news, they accept about 6% of their instate applicants (19/309) but they accept about 50% of their out of state applicants (234/441).
 
damn so only a little over half of the people who interview are even considered after the interview?
450-500 is closer to 3/4 than half, but it a way of reducing the committee's load. They make the MMI seem chill on interview day, but its more like make or break. When do you think we will hear back?
 
450-500 is closer to 3/4 than half, but it a way of reducing the committee's load. They make the MMI seem chill on interview day, but its more like make or break. When do you think we will hear back?
I think they will start making calls on the 1st or 2nd, emails on the 6th.
 
this is a skewed number though...based on world news, they accept about 6% of their instate applicants (19/309) but they accept about 50% of their out of state applicants (234/441).
Most applicants to Duke Med are OOS and residency status doesn't really matter at Duke so I guess the skew is more coincidental than intentional
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most applicants to Duke Med are OOS and residency status doesn't really matter at Duke so I guess the skew is more coincidental than intentional

It might just be a result of the fact that they get better applicants OOS than IS...because they do still interview over 300 IS, but accept very little
 
I think phone calls could be as early as this Monday based on last two years thread...I have already have offers so the anxiety isn't as bad ahahaha

It is usually a monday it seems, but last year the monday was Feb 29, idk if they would have their decisions made as early as the 27