2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is usually a monday it seems, but last year the monday was Feb 29, idk if they would have their decisions made as early as the 27

I think the two are essentially the same though, I don't think being 2 days sooner number-wise would be the difference maker. If anything, it may be delayed because they decided last minute to add two additional interview dates. But no way to know so we'll just have to (impatiently) wait and see lol
 
Okay so this could be wrong, but I was speaking to my friend a Duke undergraduate and he gave me his theory about this insanely high reported IS number. He told me that almost all Duke undergrads who apply to Duke are given an II, and that this large cohort (close to 200, he said) might be incorrectly reported to USNWR as all in-state applicants.

Again, this was just speculation on his part. Also I don't want to seem like I'm discrediting Duke undergrads who interview here - it's an amazing university and I'm sure you guys are stellar applicants.
 
Last edited:
If they're interviewing 300 IS then residency status clearly does matter and they're making an effort to bring in as many qualified NC residents as they can.

But they end up accepting a very small percentage in state, again probably because they get better applicants from all around the country than from just NC
 
Okay so this could be wrong, but I was speaking to my friend a Duke undergraduate and he gave me his theory about this insanely high reported IS number. He told me that almost all Duke undergrads who apply to Duke are given an II, and that this large cohort (close to 200, he said) might be incorrectly reported to USNWR as all in-state applicants.

Again, this was just speculation on his part. Also I don't want to seem like I'm discrediting Duke undergrads who interview here - it's amazing university and I'm sure you guys are stellar applicants, too.

I have also heard this. I know someone who went to Duke undergrad and got an interview there but he knew he did not have the stats to get in and was ultimately rejected.
 
Okay so this could be wrong, but I was speaking to my friend a Duke undergraduate and he gave me his theory about this insanely high reported IS number. He told me that almost all Duke undergrads who apply to Duke are given an II, and that this large cohort (close to 200, he said) might be incorrectly reported to USNWR as all in-state applicants.

Again, this was just speculation on his part. Also I don't want to seem like I'm discrediting Duke undergrads who interview here - it's an amazing university and I'm sure you guys are stellar applicants.

I heard this from a few Duke MS students while I was there, too, which would totally explain the acceptance skew post-I. Great for us OOSers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really don't see how they can release decisions on March 6 if Second Look Weekend is March 17... I feel that would seriously impact attendance giving a week's notice.
This is why I believe they will start calling this week..even then, tickets at this point to Durham is already very expensive. But lets see what happens first haha
 
I really don't see how they can release decisions on March 6 if Second Look Weekend is March 17... I feel that would seriously impact attendance giving a week's notice.

Right like why is this the earliest SLW of all the schools I'm considering yet I'm finding out if I got in 4 months later

Edit: except i guess i won't have to worry about it once i find out i didn't get in lol
 
Right like why is this the earliest SLW of all the schools I'm considering yet I'm finding out if I got in 4 months later

Edit: except i guess i won't have to worry about it once i find out i didn't get in lol

I believe the reason for the early second-look weekend is so you guys can see our match day. Our matches are always insanely awesome and it is a really good time. Of course, the rest of the weekend is great too!
 
I believe the reason for the early second-look weekend is so you guys can see our match day. Our matches are always insanely awesome and it is a really good time. Of course, the rest of the weekend is great too!

Ok but can you pretty please find out when we will hear back and tell us haha
 
I am confused because during the interview they said no calls would go out only emails for every decision acceptance waitlist or denial and that maybe calls will be sent out like some schools do As confirmation or congratulations
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am confused because during the interview they said no calls would go out only emails for every decision acceptance waitlist or denial and that maybe calls will be sent out like some schools do As confirmation or congratulations

At my interview they said the same thing pretty clearly, that they would try to make phone calls but that decisions would be emailed on the first Monday in March. Hoping it's earlier though!
 
Ohhh here comes the anxiety and despair when people start getting calls! and I haven't heard back yet.... hahah id rather live in ignorant bliss 🙁
 
Okay so I called like 2 minutes ago to clarify and she said March 1st call for acceptance but everyone will receive their decision also that day via email and see their portal change.

THIS IS BIG NEWS. So like, you might get an acceptance email before getting a call? Duke why. just make it emails only
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My solution is to expect the worst. I walk out of every interview assuming a rejection and then put it out of my mind. If I hear otherwise, then it's a nice surprise. 🙂
+1, I like your style. Always assuming the worst and hoping for a pleasant surprise