2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snowpocalypse! It didn't actually snow in my city, but they postponed it for pretty much the entire eastern seaboard

Gotcha. I'd never heard of one being postponed, so I was curious. Well, I guess it's prepared you for these kinds of waits, right?
 
Gotcha. I'd never heard of one being postponed, so I was curious. Well, I guess it's prepared you for these kinds of waits, right?

Yeah it's very rare for sure, but as the name suggests this snowstorm was quite the doozy. I'm in the South though, so it didn't hit quite as hard here. Unfortunately this whole anticipation thing hasn't gotten any easier for me haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah it's very rare for sure, but as the name suggests this snowstorm was quite the doozy. I'm in the South though, so it didn't hit quite as hard here. Unfortunately this whole anticipation thing hasn't gotten any easier for me haha

I know what you mean. It's been a loooong application cycle for me, so I was hoping to hear some good news today. I got some good interviews, but so far nothing has come from them. Hoping that the couple schools which should be giving out acceptances this week will have soon good news for me, but we'll see... They're rather competitive.
 
I know what you mean. It's been a loooong application cycle for me, so I was hoping to hear some good news today. I got some good interviews, but so far nothing has come from them. Hoping that the couple schools which should be giving out acceptances this week will have soon good news for me, but we'll see... They're rather competitive.

Yeah I feel ya, my first interview was back in mid August so the season is really starting to drag at this point. I'm lucky to have some acceptances but I'm ready to know where I'll be going and would LOVE for Duke to be in the running haha. It's awesome that you're hearing back from some great schools this week, I wish you the best with that! They may be competitive, but hey, you are too! You got dis
 
Random question, but does anyone know how many applicants Duke interviews each year? Not sure if this is on MSAR or not (I did not get it).
 
So I think we can be confident we will NOT get decisions before tomorrow. Just called and the very kind lady who answered said they are working hard to get decisions out hopefully tomorrow but Monday the latest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
83388f593d1705497c03b7e90398268e.jpg
f8e9d9814c7d4550f856514861b32bc5.jpg
754086b1f2d69f39f9773ad67c50acce.jpg

≈
19b57cb2c9a04c4ce8f86ba277ffbc0d.jpg

Some medical HUMOR to relieve everyones stress....
 
So I think we can be confident we will NOT get decisions before tomorrow. Just called and the very kind lady who answered said they are working hard to get decisions out hopefully tomorrow but Monday the latest.
Another reality is that this Friday-Monday timeline is most likely for accepted students and others (rejected/WL) might have to wait for a couple more days...
 
Another reality is that this Friday-Monday timeline is most likely for accepted students and others (rejected/WL) might have to wait for a couple more days...

True, but my hopes for the waitlist at Duke arent so high so if I know I'm not accepted idk if I care to get waitlisted lol i feel like it would be largely false hope
 
how many hours do you think they spend in committee at this point in time? Probably a lot if they are trying so hard to get decisions out. I mean they didnt start deliberating until after their last interview day which was only like 2 weeks ago
 
Yeah maybe we should just give them time and see what happens tomorrow. We'll all know very soon!

Yeah, I really really hope its tomorrow lol...but again, I doubt ALL phone calls are going out tomorrow, so some people will definitely have to wait till monday I think
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm listening to a song with the line "thinking bout the words you'd say to a phone that never calls" and while the song is obviously not about applying to med school the feeling is all too real rn
 
Yeah, I really really hope its tomorrow lol...but again, I doubt ALL phone calls are going out tomorrow, so some people will definitely have to wait till monday I think

In which case they may wish to wait until Monday anyway for the sake of our sanity. I'd definitely prefer that to hearing some people get in tomorrow and having to wait until Monday for myself.
 
Guys, I feel like just out of general courtesy, karma, etc. it would be advisable to not call them repeatedly every day. There are only so many people who work in admissions (a handful) so the multiple calls per day likely affects at least one of them. These are administrative assistants who are not directly responsible for making decisions and simply relay and organize information. I am just as neurotic and impatient as the next guy but please just be mindful of other people, especially when nothing you do right now will positively influence the outcome of your admission decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys, I feel like just out of general courtesy, karma, etc. it would be advisable to not call them repeatedly every day. There are only so many people who work in admissions (a handful) so the multiple calls per day likely affects at least one of them. These are administrative assistants who are not directly responsible for making decisions and simply relay and organize information. I am just as neurotic and impatient as the next guy but please just be mindful of other people, especially when nothing you do right now will positively influence the outcome of your admission decision.
This would be why not everyone was calling, we were suggesting that one person call. I feel like out of general courtesy, it would be okay for Duke to be able to let us know at least when to expect calls.