2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. Why wouldn't it be? It's sort of an opportunity to speak with admissions people, I didn't know if that would make any difference
You think participating in a webinar might affect your chances? ?? I am always amazed at the ridiculous things this process does to done people's thought process.
 
Did anyone get invited to their webinar? The sender was medadmit, and for a moment, I was freaking out because I thought it was a rejection email. If they sent this out to everyone including those that got axed last week, that would be brutal and RUDE!

+1. I, too, was freaking out lol.
 
You think participating in a webinar might affect your chances? ?? I am always amazed at the ridiculous things this process does to done people's thought process.

It seems like every itty bitty little thing you do during this process is assumed to have some sort of consequence (usually negative), and I wasn't sure if not participating in an admissions-focused interaction with the committee could somehow come off as having less interest in their school. I know it's kind of a ridiculous question...but no need to be a bully about it 🤔
 
It seems like every itty bitty little thing you do during this process is assumed to have some sort of consequence (usually negative), and I wasn't sure if not participating in an admissions-focused interaction with the committee could somehow come off as having less interest in their school. I know it's kind of a ridiculous question...but no need to be a bully about it 🤔
I'm sorry if I came off as a bully, but the question was kinda ridiculous, I understand this is a stressful process. Hopefully you hear good news from them soon.
 
can anyone comment on the interview structure? it's my understanding that there's two 30 min interviews? one with a faculty member and one with a student?
 
can anyone comment on the interview structure? it's my understanding that there's two 30 min interviews? one with a faculty member and one with a student?
Yes, and completely closed file interviews. Neither the student nor the faculty member knew even the names of their interviewees until they walked into the holding room and picked up an envelope right before interviews began.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't mean to make y'all jealous, but I got an invite today to a webinar 😉 Also, it must have filled up fast. I tried signing up at 8:30 am pacific time, but they were full. Got the email at 7:12 am.
 
So if we are on hold for re-review and did not get the webinar invite that's probably not a great sign right?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.
 
Last edited:
That's weird, I figured everyone got one. Are you sure it's not in your spam or something? Either way it probably means nothing.

Don't mind me. I got it. For whatever reason I must have hit something on my phone that deleted it because I had to search "medadmit" for it to come up but it was not in any of my spam folders. I apologize; thanks for the quick response!
 
My theory is that they still have too many applications to sort through and this was a quicker way of doing it.
Those who got to register get II's while the others get rejections or vice versa:idea:.
 
My theory is that they still have too many applications to sort through and this was a quicker way of doing it.
Those who got to register get II's while the others get rejections or vice versa:idea:.
we can only hope you're wrong
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, ok, so definitely not bitter, just being realistic here. We are more than midway through October, telling people that we are still early in the cycle is not helpful, you're either lying or you really don't understand the cycle. I'm not bitter, I'm not salty, the cycle has actually been kind to me and I don't have anything to be bitter or salty about. I'm just trying to offer some realism in the face of what I find to be poor and misguided advice. Again, it's not too late, but it is definitely not early, we are almost into November. You can call me angry or bitter all you want, but that is not going to change the facts of where we are in the cycle.
As I applied last year and was held on several waitlists until classes started, I think I have a solid understanding of the cycle. Schools have definitely finished inviting their top candidates to interview, but that doesn't mean they're done inviting. We're all sorry you haven't been accepted yet to your choice school. That's just not how it works sometimes. Make Siddhartha proud and leave those bad vibes at home.
 
So I just got an interview invite here but they already gave me my date and didn't let me choose? Is that what they do normally or was this invite sent to me by accident....
 
So I just got an interview invite here but they already gave me my date and didn't let me choose? Is that what they do normally or was this invite sent to me by accident....
That's normal. I had to change mine. If you need to change your interview date, respond to them using the instructions given in the email.
 
As I applied last year and was held on several waitlists until classes started, I think I have a solid understanding of the cycle. Schools have definitely finished inviting their top candidates to interview, but that doesn't mean they're done inviting. We're all sorry you haven't been accepted yet to your choice school. That's just not how it works sometimes. Make Siddhartha proud and leave those bad vibes at home.
Hey man, I'm sorry that my words have negatively impacted you, but compounding the negativity in a situation that has been resolved by directly insulting a complete stranger with zero knowledge of their situation is definitely not in line with the positive vibes you are critiquing me for lacking. Calm down, buddy, it's over.


EDIT: And, for the record, I think that a lot of people here are misunderstanding what I was saying. Yes, of course there are more interview invites to be sent out. Yes, of course there are more acceptances to be had. But it is by no means early in the cycle when schools have interview slots filled through February and people are already being accepted and rejected. That's all I'm saying. Providing hope under the guise of misguided advice is just wrong. I'm sorry that we disagree, but that's just how I see it.
 
As I applied last year and was held on several waitlists until classes started, I think I have a solid understanding of the cycle. Schools have definitely finished inviting their top candidates to interview, but that doesn't mean they're done inviting. We're all sorry you haven't been accepted yet to your choice school. That's just not how it works sometimes. Make Siddhartha proud and leave those bad vibes at home.
And just because, for some reason, a random internet conversation is really sticking with me today, allow me to clarify things a little bit further. There are different aspects of the cycle that a specific point in the timeline can be considered "early," "on-time" or "late" for. Nobody here would be telling someone that it is smart to apply in late October because "it is still early," because it absolutely is not early for applying. In the same vein, it is not early anymore for IIs. We are right in the thick of things for IIs, which means there is definitely a solid chance that people will be hearing back from schools about IIs, but saying that it is still early is a mischaracterization, and I am surprised that so many people here are up in arms about this. I never said that people were not getting IIs because it was too late. I am just trying to prevent people from misunderstanding where we are currently in the cycle. I stand by what I said, and I do not apologize for being blunt about it as I do feel that advice of this nature is misguided and ignorant.

Now, with what you are talking about here with acceptances and waitlists, OF COURSE it is early, but that it not what the original conversation was about, if I am recalling correctly. We were talking directly about IIs, and, as I have explained so many times now that I feel as though I am beating a dead horse, it is not early. Call me what you want, insult me as you will, but that is the truth.
 
Last edited:
And just because, for some reason, a random internet conversation is really sticking with me today, allow me to clarify things a little bit further. There are different aspects of the cycle that a specific point in the timeline can be considered "early," "on-time" or "late" for. Nobody here would be telling someone that it is smart to apply in late October because "it is still early," because it absolutely is not early for applying. In the same vein, it is not early anymore for IIs. We are right in the thick of things for IIs, which means there is definitely a solid chance that people will be hearing back from schools about IIs, but saying that it is still early is a mischaracterization, and I am surprised that so many people here are up in arms about this. I never said that people were not getting IIs because it was too late. I am just trying to prevent people from misunderstanding where we are currently in the cycle. I stand by what I said, and I do not apologize for being blunt about it as I do feel that advice of this nature is misguided and ignorant.

Now, with what you are talking about here with acceptances and waitlists, OF COURSE it is early, but that it not what the original conversation was about, if I am recalling correctly. We were talking directly about IIs, and, as I have explained so many times now that I feel as though I am beating a dead horse, it is not early. Call me what you want, insult me as you will, but that is the truth.

57657036.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Asking for a buddy of mine: Has anyone who interviewed on or around the 11th of October heard back yet?
 
Status changed from "on hold for re-review" to "under review" earlier this week. Invited to webinar in December.

Complete- mid August