You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+1. LizzyM 72."Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."
Is this status normal, good, bad?
When did you submit ? Did u get an email about this ?+1. LizzyM 72.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted on Monday. No email.When did you submit ? Did u get an email about this ?
Thanks, they are on top of it then ,looks like many people are in that status .Submitted on Monday. No email.
Good Luck !
Yeah, scrolled through last year's thread and a lot of people who got interviews were on hold first (some got an interview like a week after). Guess I'll just hope for the best and stay optimistic.Thanks, they are on top of it then ,looks like many people are in that status .
Good Luck !
Misspelled wanted as "waned" and didn't catch on my two glance overs. So that's always good [emoji1598]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Regarding: What is your most meaningful clinical experience, involving direct patient contact?"
I am having difficulty choosing between writing about being a scribe or about being a caregiver. (I write about being a scribe in one of the other essays, not sure if it would be overkill)
For the past 3 years I have scribed in a ED in Inglewood which serves a diverse population, including the socioeconomically disadvantaged. This has allowed me " face-to-face experience with the sick and/or injured in their homes or in a clinical setting, and [familiarity] with the role of the physician in the care of the patient and within the health care team." It has been an invaluable experience, as other authors above explained.
On the other hand, I have also been a caregiver for my disabled mother for the past 2.5 years. This, of course, has personal meaning, and more direct contact, but I am unsure whether it is an appropriate answer to the question.
Does anyone have advice on this matter?
I am having difficulty choosing between writing about being a scribe or about being a caregiver. (I write about being a scribe in one of the other essays, not sure if it would be overkill)
For the past 3 years I have scribed in a ED in Inglewood which serves a diverse population, including the socioeconomically disadvantaged. This has allowed me " face-to-face experience with the sick and/or injured in their homes or in a clinical setting, and [familiarity] with the role of the physician in the care of the patient and within the health care team." It has been an invaluable experience, as other authors above explained.
On the other hand, I have also been a caregiver for my disabled mother for the past 2.5 years. This, of course, has personal meaning, and more direct contact, but I am unsure whether it is an appropriate answer to the question.
Does anyone have advice on this matter?
I have that same message. Hopefully it does lead to an II!LizzyM ~ 70. Submitted first day after opening. Checked last year's thread. It seems that most everyone who got an II previously had this status as well
LizzyM 77
I have that same message. Hopefully it does lead to an II!
LizzyM 77
Wow I guess I can't expect a II if I have a LizzyM 69.+1. LizzyM 72.
"Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."
Is this status normal, good, bad?
I have this status as well. FYI It is not emailed to you, it's only on the application portal.
Anyone been rejected yet?
Wow I guess I can't expect a II if I have a LizzyM 69.
Not necessary. GW stats are more similar to your LizzyM. I feel like GW (like a lot of schools) seeks applicants with diverse experiences and not only because they have high stats. Let's not lose hope too early 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh good to know. I submitted 7/1 also so it may take awhile.I have this status as well. FYI It is not emailed to you, it's only on the application portal.
Anyone been rejected yet?
This may be dumb and obvious.. But should I wait for my letters (just my committee letter really since my interview was yesterday) to be received on AMCAS or just go ahead with the secondary?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go with the secondary! That way it is not portrayed as your laziness!This may be dumb and obvious.. But should I wait for my letters (just my committee letter really since my interview was yesterday) to be received on AMCAS or just go ahead with the secondary?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Regarding: What is your most meaningful clinical experience, involving direct patient contact?"
I am having difficulty choosing between writing about being a scribe or about being a caregiver. (I write about being a scribe in one of the other essays, not sure if it would be overkill)
For the past 3 years I have scribed in a ED in Inglewood which serves a diverse population, including the socioeconomically disadvantaged. This has allowed me " face-to-face experience with the sick and/or injured in their homes or in a clinical setting, and [familiarity] with the role of the physician in the care of the patient and within the health care team." It has been an invaluable experience, as other authors above explained.
On the other hand, I have also been a caregiver for my disabled mother for the past 2.5 years. This, of course, has personal meaning, and more direct contact, but I am unsure whether it is an appropriate answer to the question.
Does anyone have advice on this matter?
Go with the scribing experience. I don't mean to minimize the significance of caring for a disabled parent, but they're your parent, not your patient--so it doesn't answer the question.
Wow I guess I can't expect a II if I have a LizzyM 69.
I received an II last year with a LizzyM of barely 68.
Is it advisable to apply here if a section on the MCAT is a 124? If all my MCATs are super scored, I have above 125 in each, but I don't want to just waste money. For reference, my GPA is greater than a 3.65 and lower than a 3.85 (I'm keeping ambiguity for any future references)
I received the same msg with a LizzyM 67. Maybe they wait and send out a wave of rejections later or silently reject?I have this status as well. FYI It is not emailed to you, it's only on the application portal.
Anyone been rejected yet?
Under my app status, it says:
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.
*Please note, this is your current status. It is updated on a daily basis. Your status may remain unchanged for several weeks as your application goes through a comprehensive review process.
Is this what changes?
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.
*Please note, this is your current status. It is updated on a daily basis. Your status may remain unchanged for several weeks as your application goes through a comprehensive review process.
Is this what changes?
I received the same msg with a LizzyM 67. Maybe they wait and send out a wave of rejections later or silently reject?
Hmm I don't know. Some clarity would be nice. Last years threads show a similar situation where people had this status and then got an II. The way the status is written seems like they could have rejected you if they wanted to at this point.
Did you get accepted in regular list or were you wait listed ?Go with the scribing experience. I don't mean to minimize the significance of caring for a disabled parent, but they're your parent, not your patient--so it doesn't answer the question.
I received an II last year with a LizzyM of barely 68.
Did you get accepted in regular list or were you wait listed ?
I was accepted off the WL at two other schools, not this one, though.
GW seems to waitlist almost everyone they interview! (As opposed to rejecting them.)
Oh really wow, so am assuming that you were accepted here.I was accepted off the WL at two other schools, not this one, though.
GW seems to waitlist almost everyone they interview! (As opposed to rejecting them.)
Oh really wow, so am assuming that you were accepted here.
Oh no haha, sorry, I wasn't accepted here--just waitlisted.
Got this status too... But my LizzyM is more like a 64."Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience."
Is this status normal, good, bad?
Oh ok, but you are on your way to becoming a doctor!👍Oh no haha, sorry, I wasn't accepted here--just waitlisted.
So I guess shadowing doesn't count as direct patient contact? I mean you kinda get to talk to them? Lol I don't want to repeat the one I mentioned in my personal statement which was actually me in a clinical setting working with a patient but idk what else to do
Hey guys, I am an international applicant (not from the states), and I do not quite know GW Medicine program. Can you guys point out a few unique things about their programs and school? appreciate it.
http://smhs.gwu.edu/about
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Under my app status, it says:
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.
*Please note, this is your current status. It is updated on a daily basis. Your status may remain unchanged for several weeks as your application goes through a comprehensive review process.
Is this what changes?
+1
secondary submitted 7/5
what are you guys saying for the diversity/challenges/contribution essay? Literally I don't even know how to approach it because of the 1000 character limit
what are you guys saying for the diversity/challenges/contribution essay? Literally I don't even know how to approach it because of the 1000 character limit
Just wrote about unique perspective due to family/upbringing then skills I gained from two important ECs.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
II!
Congrats! Could I ask when you were complete and maybe your stats?
On hold for re-review ... 

I think everyone is put on hold for re-review until interviews start being given out
"hold for re-review" this early seems kind of absurd. I think their definition of "hold" is different than most schools.
Or at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.
Or at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.
Also on hold for re-review....
I thought GW was not giving out interviews yet...
Got this status too... But my LizzyM is more like a 64.
when did you guys receive these status updates? How long after submitting secondaries?
Mine was same weekwhen did you guys receive these status updates? How long after submitting secondaries?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 Hold for re-review. I applied to GW last year, and the re-review hold status can be a very mixed bag. Some people received II shortly after (within the same week or month), some received an II many months later, and others never received an II (myself included 🙁). Here's to hoping for a better outcome this time around!
I like your name.when did you guys receive these status updates? How long after submitting secondaries?
what's that mean99.99% sure he/she is a troll.
99.99% sure he/she is a troll.
Maybe lol, but according to last years thread this is about the time the first IIs started rolling out