You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Also on hold for re-review. Has anyone had a status change other than this? No rejections or II yet , right?
Also on hold for re-review. Has anyone had a status change other than this? No rejections or II yet , right?
I submitted on 6/30 and for about a week now I have had the same "on hold for re-review" message. I'm curious to if anyone has been rejected yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure.. Maybe a few days after submitting? There was never an email to update you about the status change...when did you guys receive these status updates? How long after submitting secondaries?
Yes.Did everyone get a 'under review' status before the 'hold for re-review' status? Because I just noticed mine is now 'under review'.
I just tried to pay the application fee, and I tried two different valid VISA cards, but I got a message saying "there was an error processing your payment: host error (declined nd)" for both cards. What's going on?
P.S. they are not debit-visa cards. Just visa.
P.S. they are not debit-visa cards. Just visa.
Guessing host error means it's some problem on their end, not yours. I'd give them a call tomorrow if it's not working by then.I just tried to pay the application fee, and I tried two different valid VISA cards, but I got a message saying "there was an error processing your payment: host error (declined nd)" for both cards. What's going on?
P.S. they are not debit-visa cards. Just visa.
"On hold for re-review" status today
Thoughts on mentioning specific mentors who work at med school within the why GW section?
Just submitted my secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
drnala15
On-hold status as well. Submitted secondary 7/7... Lizzy M 73 🙁
Actually, that kid wasn't lying. I got an interview invite on Monday (7/11) too. Still in shock!! I submitted 7/6. I think my LizzyM is around 69? Also, reapplicant.
congrats!!
when are the available interview dates?
Thanks!! I probably stared at the email in disbelief for a good hour. After that, just pure joy though!! 😀congrats!!
when are the available interview dates?
They assigned me Aug. 19th. I wasn't able to see other dates. However, they stated that it is possible to reschedule. They mentioned that they only schedule interviews for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
That's interesting, the status that most of us have states explicitly they do interviews from September to March, so I am surprised that you have a date in August. Congratulations though!Thanks!! I probably stared at the email in disbelief for a good hour. After that, just pure joy though!! 😀
They assigned me Aug. 19th. I wasn't able to see other dates. However, they stated that it is possible to reschedule. They mentioned that they only schedule interviews for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Thanks!! I probably stared at the email in disbelief for a good hour. After that, just pure joy though!! 😀
They assigned me Aug. 19th. I wasn't able to see other dates. However, they stated that it is possible to reschedule. They mentioned that they only schedule interviews for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
I still kind of doubt this, given the explicit statement of interviews in September from the GW admissions office. But if its true, congrats!
I'll wait for someone who has more than 1 post to say they got an II before I get neurotic.I still kind of doubt this, given the explicit statement of interviews in September from the GW admissions office. But if its true, congrats!
Maybe you got the II because you are a reapplicant?That's interesting, the status that most of us have states explicitly they do interviews from September to March, so I am surprised that you have a date in August. Congratulations though!
Curious if any of these people claiming IIs are EDP applicants?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
GW's website does say "Our interview season begins in August, with our first invitations being sent out in July and continues into March." Also, I just now realized that I never got a completion email, just the fee authorization code.
I also never got a completion email. Is that normal?
On-hold also. SighOn-hold status as well. Submitted secondary 7/7... Lizzy M 73 🙁
Essays:
1. Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor? (500 characters)
2. Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (500)
3. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2016-2017 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2017. (750 characters)
4. What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
5. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
6. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
7. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)
Silly question: but what exactly do they want from the 3rd question?? If anyone could help me out, that'd be great!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Silly question: but what exactly do they want from the 3rd question?? If anyone could help me out, that'd be great!
They essentially want to know what you're doing with your life during the app cycle.
I submitted my application on 7/4 and have this status "We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If you have not done so, please send your letters of recommendation to AMCAS. Your file will not be considered complete until we receive all letters that have been designated to our school using the AMCAS Letters Service. If we require any further documentation, we will contact you." I have all the required letters of rec sent to amcas but I am still awaiting on 2 physician LoRs --- is my application essentially being put on hold because they haven't received these 2 extra letters even though I have all the actual required LoE sent already?
Yes, they have to receive all of the letters you assigned to their school before they will review your applicationI submitted my application on 7/4 and have this status "We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If you have not done so, please send your letters of recommendation to AMCAS. Your file will not be considered complete until we receive all letters that have been designated to our school using the AMCAS Letters Service. If we require any further documentation, we will contact you." I have all the required letters of rec sent to amcas but I am still awaiting on 2 physician LoRs --- is my application essentially being put on hold because they haven't received these 2 extra letters even though I have all the actual required LoE sent already?
Yes, they have to receive all of the letters you assigned to their school before they will review your application
If they don't receive these letters by like say 2 weeks from now am I pretty much considered late? .....I keep debating on whether I should just cancel these from being sent just because I know how important it is to get your application complete soon....like very soon
If they don't receive these letters by like say 2 weeks from now am I pretty much considered late? .....I keep debating on whether I should just cancel these from being sent just because I know how important it is to get your application complete soon....like very soon
It's only the middle of July. Relax! The "two week turnaround" is a myth. Being complete in July/August is early, September on time, and October late.
No definitely not! It is of course helpful to have them in earlier, but I would not consider you at all "late" in the cycle if they get them in 2 weeks. There are people who don't even apply until August/September! Plus, a school like GW receives thousands and thousands of applications, so I would assume they are super swamped already and it would probably take a few weeks to review your app anyways, I know mine was under review for 2 weeks and I submitted the first dayIf they don't receive these letters by like say 2 weeks from now am I pretty much considered late? .....I keep debating on whether I should just cancel these from being sent just because I know how important it is to get your application complete soon....like very soon
it says max 5 on MSARIs anyone aware of whether or not it's acceptable to send along more than three letters of rec? I see on their site that they accept three, but it isn't clear to me whether it'd be ok if I sent along my fourth as well.
II!! First one of the season! 
II!! First one of the season!![]()
Yay! Congrats -- happy for you. Were you ever on hold or straight from complete --> II?
when did you submit your secondary?II!! First one of the season!![]()
Yay! Congrats -- happy for you. Were you ever on hold or straight from complete --> II?
I believe straight to complete, but honestly did not check my portal that much!
when did you submit your secondary?
I think I paid on July 8th!
Last edited:
Wow Congrats!! Would you mind sharing ur stats?II!! First one of the season!![]()
These turnarounds are awesome! Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?I think I paid on July 6th, so probably same day!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These turnarounds are awesome! Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?
@yellowbottlesippin @ishiningstar
I believe LizzyM is around 67-69 ish! So anyone out there who has a lower gpa and/or mcat, don't give up hope! 🙂
Cool , do you have any ties to the school or area?@yellowbottlesippin @ishiningstar
I believe LizzyM is around 67-69 ish! So anyone out there who has a lower gpa and/or mcat, don't give up hope! 🙂
Sweet, around where I am...But I am on hold. I guess I have hope. Not a URM or have any ties right?@yellowbottlesippin @ishiningstar
I believe LizzyM is around 67-69 ish! So anyone out there who has a lower gpa and/or mcat, don't give up hope! 🙂
i submitted before you and i dont have one yet 🙁 I am worried now
So there's a chance? lolWell, it just means that they're not interested in offering you an interview at the moment, but that they might later. Not great, obviously, but there were a fair number of people with that status last cycle who were ultimately offered an interview, some even a month or two later.
