2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the alternate list this afternoon! Received an email from the assistant dean asking if I was still interested, and then was asked to give her a call! Hopefully more movement soon! Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the alternate list this afternoon! Received an email from the assistant dean asking if I was still interested, and then was asked to give her a call! Hopefully more movement soon! Good luck all!

Congratulations!!!!
When did you interview?
Do you mind sharing your MCAT score?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the last week of November (Didn't submit secondary application until October).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing anything that you have done that may have contributed to being taken off the waitlist? Letter of intent, email to the dean, etc?

Reactions: 2 users
I also got the email from the Assistant Dean yesterday afternoon. I submitted two application updates including the continued interest one in March, I had 2 new recommendation letters sent in, and when I was placed on the alternate list I called the admissions office to ask if there was anyone I could speak with or meet with to discuss my interest in GW, and they informed me that Kevin Nies, the Director of Admissions does meet with interested students that are placed on the alternate list, so I met with him. I think all of these contributed to me getting the email from the Assistant Dean yesterday, but I think the meeting showing my interest had the greatest impact.

Was also accepted off the alternate list :) I interviewed between August-October. The only update I sent was in March to stay on the alternate list, and I also participated in the webcast. I think my update letter was very well written with substantial reasons for why I wanted to come to GW. My LizzyM is 70-72.

Reactions: 6 users
Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted from the alternate pool this morning!! I interviewed in September. Got an email and request to call them back and confirm my interest. So unreal - I'm a reapplicant from a few years ago and this is my first acceptance. Keep believing!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted from the alternate pool this morning!! I interviewed in September. Got an email and request to call them back and confirm my interest. So unreal - I'm a reapplicant from a few years ago and this is my first acceptance. Keep believing!!!
WOW! Congratulations!!!!
Do you mind sharing your GPA and MCAT?

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! From last years threads, it looks like the waitlist moved in a large lump of people in the beginning, and then didnt move for a while until one or two in June. I hope thats not the case this time!

Any news from anyone? Longtime lurker, very desperate.. haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I have been accepted off the alternate list! Interviewed in Jan.
LizzyM score: 65

I withdrew from the other few schools I was accepted too.

Has anyone been in contact with admissions to see where they're at with the incoming class? I've sent too many LOI/updates so I'm afraid to.. *upside down smiley face*

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any insights on the alternate list movement?

I was recently accepted & was wondering if anyone who is also accepted could send me the overview of the curriculum and the schedule for orientation/white coat ceremony/ etc. Thank you! & Congrats on everyone's acceptances!

I was recently accepted & was wondering if anyone who is also accepted could send me the overview of the curriculum and the schedule for orientation/white coat ceremony/ etc. Thank you! & Congrats on everyone's acceptances!

When were you accepted?

Just got the acceptance call this afternoon!!!! Interviewed in November (on election day)!!!

Did anyone who has been pulled off the alternate list interview past November/December? It kinda looks like they're moving in order

Accepted students, do you know when we get information on vaccinations/requirements? Do we get something in the mail? Or is it an email later?

Thanks!

Question for accepted students-do we get any information on how to find housing/academic calendar, etc? Also, could someone send the link to the facebook page for accepted students?!

Question for accepted students-do we get any information on how to find housing/academic calendar, etc? Also, could someone send the link to the facebook page for accepted students?!
Hah! We asked at the same time. The Facebook link is a few posts above this

Facebook group is up to 172, I'm out.. haha

Congrats to everyone who got recently accepted to this incredible school!

Facebook group is up to 172, I'm out.. haha

Congrats to everyone who got recently accepted to this incredible school!
Dont lose faith keep probably 50% are current medical students who are trying to pawn off their apts, answer questions, etc

Did anyone else get an email saying "It is highly unlikely that there will be any additional movement from the alternate pool." today?
Yeah. :(

I knew this was gonna happen, but it's still a nice little punch to the gut.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get an email saying "It is highly unlikely that there will be any additional movement from the alternate pool." today?
Yup. I got three interviews (out of twenty-one secondaries) and GW was the only school to not reject me outright so it was a difficult email to receive. After two application cycles in a row (this was my first time applying to GW), I will not be reapplying this year in order to spend time addressing the weak areas in my application. For those of you reapplying in 2018, I hope we meet at interviews!

And good luck to those reapplying this coming cycle! You got this! :)

Last edited:
I was accepted off the waitlist last week, but I've decided to withdraw for another school. At least 1 spot is open now!

Hi,
I know this post may be a little random but I'm going to be an M1 at Howard university this coming fall. I just got a two bedroom condo in D.C. and I'm looking for a roommate. I understand that there might be students still looking for places, so I wanted to extend the offer to students who are from other medical schools in the D.C. area. If anyone in this forum has been accepted and is interested in being roommates, please message me. If someone could also send me the FB group link so I can private message the admins this info that will be great! Good luck everyone and sorry for the weirdness!