-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
WOW. Congrats.Off the HPWL! Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Last edited:
I'm so jealous and so happy for you...all at the same time haha. congrats! 🙂Off the HPWL! Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
8
833051
when is the last day we can be informed of our acceptance here off the HPWL? end of this month?
Nope. Right up until orientation.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Pretty evenly split. It's personal preference and how out of state you are. If people are coming from further away, I think people tend to lean towards on campus housing, but honestly I've seen it both ways.do most out of state first years stay on or off campus? what is generally recommended between the two?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Is Jefferson receptive to calls from reapplicants asking what they can improve on for the next cycle? I know there are some schools that explicitly tell you that they won't answer those questions.
Not sure about calls, but yes to emails inquiring about this.Is Jefferson receptive to calls from reapplicants asking what they can improve on for the next cycle? I know there are some schools that explicitly tell you that they won't answer those questions.
Not sure about calls, but yes to emails inquiring about this.
I wonder if contacting them about this now while I'm on the HPWL will give them the idea that I've given up, or that they can more easily reject me since I'll apply again anyway... But if I don't ask quickly enough, I won't have any idea as to what needs to be addressed and might not have enough time even if I do ask later :\
Also, people who sent LOI, did you send it directly to Dean Callahan or to admissions office? I'm worried that I'll make a 'wrong move' and be branded as somebody who has zero etiquette...
Last edited:
I wonder if contacting them about this now while I'm on the HPWL will give them the idea that I've given up, or that they can more easily reject me since I'll apply again anyway... But if I don't ask quickly enough, I won't have any idea as to what needs to be addressed and might not have enough time even if I do ask later :\
Also, people who sent LOI, did you send it directly to Dean Callahan or to admissions office? I'm worried that I'll make a 'wrong move' and be branded as somebody who has zero etiquette...
Hey there! I can definitely see your point, but maybe you could try getting feedback from schools that already rejected you. It seems like we are still in a very good position on the HPWL here, so whatever you may have done definitely impressed Jefferson. Likewise, if you are going to send a LOI, I would send it directly to Dr. Callahan. Hope this helps and don't give up yet! We can still get off the waitlist!
I got my interview by emailing her directly and telling her how much I really really wanted to come to Jefferson (no shame). I was accepted like 10 days later (it was a whirlwind). Definitely, definitely email it to her directly.I wonder if contacting them about this now while I'm on the HPWL will give them the idea that I've given up, or that they can more easily reject me since I'll apply again anyway... But if I don't ask quickly enough, I won't have any idea as to what needs to be addressed and might not have enough time even if I do ask later :\
Also, people who sent LOI, did you send it directly to Dean Callahan or to admissions office? I'm worried that I'll make a 'wrong move' and be branded as somebody who has zero etiquette...
Yes. I would send Dr. Callahan an email asking if you can speak over the phone about what you can improve on for next cycle and she will respond, ask you when you're available, then call you at that time to discuss your application. That's what I did after last cycle and Jeff ended up being my first II this cycle, my first acceptance, and ended up being the school I decided to go to..Is Jefferson receptive to calls from reapplicants asking what they can improve on for the next cycle? I know there are some schools that explicitly tell you that they won't answer those questions.
That said I kinda think that the II was half-pity because she said was surprised I only got 1 II last year.. WHELP, THAT DON'T MATTA NOW!
Edit: She also asked me if I've ever called or emailed them last cycle and I said no - she said that that can be a differentiating factor, since they receive so many applicants.. Staying in contact shows you're really interested in the school and it seems like Jeff is responsive to that.
@Doctor Strange this is kind of a weird question but do you know if it's possible/have you heard of Jefferson students doing research at other institutions in Philadelphia? Like if you are interested in oncology doing research at Fox Chase or ortho research at Rothman?
Certainly possible, but you have to make those connections yourself. Rothman is a Jefferson institute, btw.@Doctor Strange this is kind of a weird question but do you know if it's possible/have you heard of Jefferson students doing research at other institutions in Philadelphia? Like if you are interested in oncology doing research at Fox Chase or ortho research at Rothman?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally! I can now turn down that MD acceptance and get a MPH from Jefferson.
Finally! I can now turn down that MD acceptance and get a MPH from Jefferson.
[emoji23][emoji23]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
does anyone know why people say that there's a lot of waitlist movement during the second half of May?
does anyone know why people say that there's a lot of waitlist movement during the second half of May?
Maybe students that have been waitlisted at their top choice schools also get in the first week after traffic day, therefore giving up their seat at a school they've been accepted to? Then maybe more spots open up in the second and third week of May. I can only speculate, but I hope you're right! Haven't stopped looking at my phone lol
Last edited:
Are we already slowing down with HPWL acceptances or are people just not posting on sdn? I'm getting anxious... 🙁
Edit: seriously, what's up with this dead silence? Even considering the weekend, I feel like the thread just stopped or something. Are people posting on a different thread now?
Edit: seriously, what's up with this dead silence? Even considering the weekend, I feel like the thread just stopped or something. Are people posting on a different thread now?
Last edited:
Are we already slowing down with HPWL acceptances or are people just not posting on sdn? I'm getting anxious... 🙁
Edit: seriously, what's up with this dead silence? Even considering the weekend, I feel like the thread just stopped or something. Are people posting on a different thread now?
Still here, just praying to hear something honestly lol I doubt they slowed down already.
Same as above 😛 Also, I think they come in small waves. If it makes you feel better, I saw something on SDN about how an advisor said that Jeff usually sees movement between mid May and mid June!Are we already slowing down with HPWL acceptances or are people just not posting on sdn? I'm getting anxious... 🙁
Edit: seriously, what's up with this dead silence? Even considering the weekend, I feel like the thread just stopped or something. Are people posting on a different thread now?
I'm usually not a super positive person but I'm trying to be 😛
D
deleted789565
Just accepted off the HPWL via phone call! Interviewed in January, waitlisted in March, sent a LOI last week.
congratulations!!Just accepted off the HPWL via phone call! Interviewed in January, waitlisted in March, sent a LOI last week.
Just accepted off the HPWL via phone call! Interviewed in January, waitlisted in March, sent a LOI last week.
Congratulations! I didn't know they called this early in the day
interest or intent?Just accepted off the HPWL via phone call! Interviewed in January, waitlisted in March, sent a LOI last week.
congrats!
Anybody have any insight as to how the HPWL is re-evaluated? Are there certain selection factors aside from extent of communication and continued interest?
An observation: it seems like this year, most of the people that have gotten off the HPWL already held an acceptance elsewhere. Last year, it was the opposite. Obviously SDN is only a small sample but I found this interesting
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interest or intent?
Aren't the basically the same things referred to by different words based on preference?
Aren't the basically the same things referred to by different words based on preference?
Intent= I will choose this school over my current acceptance
Interest= I am still very interested in attending (also used when you are not holding an acceptance currently)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
An observation: it seems like this year, most of the people that have gotten off the HPWL already held an acceptance elsewhere. Last year, it was the opposite. Obviously SDN is only a small sample but I found this interesting
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That would be unfortunate if that was the case... I feel like that defeats the purpose of traffic day where students have already made their decision as to where they want to go... I'm sure maybe Jeff is their top choice instead of where they picked, and I don't blame them, but there's plenty of people out here who are sitting on 0 acceptances and are getting ready to reapply. I just hope we all get a chance!
Rittenhouse to Jefferson is definitely a walkable distance. Buses and subway are pretty reliable.Are the buses reliable as a way to get to class in Center City from Rittenhouse?
D
deleted789565
interest or intent?
congrats!
Thanks! I sent a letter of intent. If you (or anybody) is willing to commit to that then definitely do it — Dr. Callahan specifically mentioned/reconfirmed my intent when we spoke.
idk haha, I've sent multiple LOI's so I don't know if I'd consider them magical bulletsThanks! I sent a letter of intent. If you (or anybody) is willing to commit to that then definitely do it — Dr. Callahan specifically mentioned/reconfirmed my intent when we spoke.
idk haha, I've sent multiple LOI's so I don't know if I'd consider them magical bullets
LMFAO
of course, this is prolly where your questions about how they review waitlist applicants comes in lol. I'm sure there are enough amazing applicants that would be weighted higher than me, for example.LMFAO
omg congrats !! wish you the best of luck!MAMA I MADE IT!!! Just got the call from Dr. Callahan.. was bawling my eyes out before she could even say a word. Don't give up hope!!
For those living off campus, where in Philly are you living? I'm looking for housing right now and am trying to get acclimated because I am completely unfamiliar with the area lol.
For those living off campus, where in Philly are you living? I'm looking for housing right now and am trying to get acclimated because I am completely unfamiliar with the area lol.
I'm planning on living in center city for the convenience, but it's a bit more expensive. I think south philly and university city are both good, close options and probably cheaper. I'm from the suburbs outside the city though so I'm definitely not an expert haha. What are you thinking so far? Feel free to send me a private message.
It seems like HPWL acceptance calls happen in the morning, around 10:00 pm-12:00 pm as opposed to straight-up acceptance calls that usually happened around 2:30 pm and later. Is this true? Does this mean I should practically only expect those calls in the morning and give up for the day after it hits like 2:00 pm?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like HPWL acceptance calls happen in the morning, around 10:00 pm-12:00 pm as opposed to straight-up acceptance calls that usually happened around 2:30 pm and later. Is this true? Does this mean I should practically only expect those calls in the morning and give up for the day after it hits like 2:00 pm?
Are you trying to predict behaviors of THE Dr. Callahan?
Are you trying to predict behaviors of THE Dr. Callahan?
Is she supposed to be very unpredictable or something? Sorry if I'm not getting a joke, but there's been (what I perceive to be) a relatively clear pattern so far, at least based on sdn posts.
Oh no, I was just messing around. But you realize that there's no point sitting next to your phone from 10PM-12PM right? Especially for me cause Im in bed by 9 😀
Oh, I meant to say 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, as in late morning to lunchtime. It's also not like I'm literally sitting next to my phone doing nothing, it just happens that I always have my phone by my side regardless of this matter and this application cycle just happens to get my hopes up and crush it on a daily basis.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K