2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MAMA I MADE IT!!! Just got the call from Dr. Callahan.. was bawling my eyes out before she could even say a word. Don't give up hope!!
question by the way: did you send any updates to the admissions office while on HPWL? also were you on the HPWL for long?
 
question by the way: did you send any updates to the admissions office while on HPWL? also were you on the HPWL for long?

I sent updates when I had something significant to report, but also sent LOI to express my interest in Jeff. I have been on the HPWL since December, and have sent several update/interest emails since then (every few weeks or so). My most recent LOI was just last week, and I really took the time to explain exactly why I would be the perfect fit for Jeff and vice versa. Dr. Callahan is such a sweet lady and I think she really does take sincere interest to heart. Trust me I feel your HPWL pain lol.. You WILL get into medical school eventually if it is truly your passion. It might not be this cycle but don't give up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent updates when I had something significant to report, but also sent LOI to express my interest in Jeff. I have been on the HPWL since December, and have sent several update/interest emails since then (every few weeks or so). My most recent LOI was just last week, and I really took the time to explain exactly why I would be the perfect fit for Jeff and vice versa. Dr. Callahan is such a sweet lady and I think she really does take sincere interest to heart. Trust me I feel your HPWL pain lol.. You WILL get into medical school eventually if it is truly your passion. It might not be this cycle but don't give up.
thank you for the detailed response 🙂 unfortunately, my concerns aren't with getting into A medical school so much as getting into THE medical school cuz I risked a spot to go somewhere like here. Jeff just has everything i want in a school for my career 😛 (legitimately not trying to sound pretentious)
 
Last edited:
thank you for the detailed response 🙂 unfortunately, my concerns aren't with getting into A medical school so much as getting into THE medical school haha. Jeff just has everything i want in a school for my career 😛 sometimes I wish I was more of a settler 😛

My concerns ARE with getting into A medical school, although Jeff just so happens to also be the THE school with everything I want in a school 🙁
 
I wanted to confirm that a car is not needed as a first year? I know it is helpful for the clinical years and ranking affiliate programs
 
My concerns ARE with getting into A medical school, although Jeff just so happens to also be the THE school with everything I want in a school 🙁
man I'm sorry, fellow HPWL friend. it's all a strange process but it seems like there's movement through June so let's see? you have other waitlists to hear from yes?
 
Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Jefferson University) or Stony Brook University School of Medicine? I need to make a decision fast, and I would sincerely appreciate opinions!
 
Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Jefferson University) or Stony Brook University School of Medicine? I need to make a decision fast, and I would sincerely appreciate opinions!
^ Long Island, NY haha. close to Manhattan if you're a city person. but do you have specific career goals that makes one preferable? and cost of attendance? check the match lists if you hope to match in a specific area/hospital (just listing points I'd use to decide cuz I don't know specifics)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all... Just a question... Do we get emailed that we are rejected as soon as the spots are filled from off of the waitlist?

Also are there any admitted students from previous years that had reapplied while on the HPWL? How did it turn out for you? Thank you so much!
 
Hey all... Just a question... Do we get emailed that we are rejected as soon as the spots are filled from off of the waitlist?

Also are there any admitted students from previous years that had reapplied while on the HPWL? How did it turn out for you? Thank you so much!
I remembering seeing in a previous year's thread that people were expected close to orientation even soo I don't believe they reject once class is full cuz people can always drop due to other acceptances/deferral

and +1 to your reapplication question
 
Withdrew from Jeff on Friday for financial reasons :'(. Loved the school and loved Philly! Those still on the wait list, don't lose hope!
 
^ good luck at your chosen school!

Do you guys think the waitlist is ranked?...is it likely that our updates are not going to be considered?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ good luck at your chosen school!

Do you guys think the waitlist is ranked?...is it likely that our updates are not going to be considered?
I definitely felt that Dr. Callahan was very receptive to updates and letters of interest. I really appreciated the genuine feel of the admissions office, and it was a very tough decision not to matriculate at Jefferson. Ultimately it came down to location and expense for me, but don't give up hope. I feel your letters are taken into great consideration, so keep being an active applicant. Good luck!

I would suggest writing a really strong letter of interest/intent, and include any updates you have. Focus on specific attributes and opportunities of the school that connect to your experiences and your reasons for wanting to study here. Don't just write a letter where you can substitute the name of one school for another. Make it very specific to Why Jefferson.
 
I definitely felt that Dr. Callahan was very receptive to updates and letters of interest. I really appreciated the genuine feel of the admissions office, and it was a very tough decision not to matriculate at Jefferson. Ultimately it came down to location and expense for me, but don't give up hope. I feel your letters are taken into great consideration, so keep being an active applicant. Good luck!

I would suggest writing a really strong letter of interest/intent, and include any updates you have. Focus on specific attributes and opportunities of the school that connect to your experiences and your reasons for wanting to study here. Don't just write a letter where you can substitute the name of one school for another. Make it very specific to Why Jefferson.
yeah she's definitely been receptive to mine, which I really appreciate 🙂 but I just want to make sure that my letters (which are just as you described) aren't bothering her/overbearing if that makes sense?
 
I definitely felt that Dr. Callahan was very receptive to updates and letters of interest. I really appreciated the genuine feel of the admissions office, and it was a very tough decision not to matriculate at Jefferson. Ultimately it came down to location and expense for me, but don't give up hope. I feel your letters are taken into great consideration, so keep being an active applicant. Good luck!

I would suggest writing a really strong letter of interest/intent, and include any updates you have. Focus on specific attributes and opportunities of the school that connect to your experiences and your reasons for wanting to study here. Don't just write a letter where you can substitute the name of one school for another. Make it very specific to Why Jefferson.

yeah she's definitely been receptive to mine, which I really appreciate 🙂 but I just want to make sure that my letters (which are just as you described) aren't bothering her/overbearing if that makes sense?

When you say Dr. Callahan was receptive, do you mean she actually answers to specific parts of your letters, or that she has been consistently sending you confirmation emails with something along the lines of "thank you for your email" and not much more? I've been sending her letters of interest and while she's always sent me a short reply to confirm she got the email, they always kind of made me feel like I'm actually bothering her and hurting my chances more than helping...

Also, how do you actually focus on attributes and opportunities? I feel like a lot of schools offer similar opportunities at this point and the aspects that are actually unique to the school are location and friends/relatives in the area. Of course, you could argue that the curriculum is unique as well, but I feel like that doesn't hold much substance coming from applicants who haven't really experienced the different types of medical school curriculum structures yet.
 
When you say Dr. Callahan was receptive, do you mean she actually answers to specific parts of your letters, or that she has been consistently sending you confirmation emails with something along the lines of "thank you for your email" and not much more? I've been sending her letters of interest and while she's always sent me a short reply to confirm she got the email, they always kind of made me feel like I'm actually bothering her and hurting my chances more than helping...

Also, how do you actually focus on attributes and opportunities? I feel like a lot of schools offer similar opportunities at this point and the aspects that are actually unique to the school are location and friends/relatives in the area. Of course, you could argue that the curriculum is unique as well, but I feel like that doesn't hold much substance coming from applicants who haven't really experienced the different types of medical school curriculum structures yet.

I totally get what you're saying. perhaps if you have specific goals that relate to the school or area? that might be good to say. and the curriculum is still good to talk about I think if it relates to how it helps you specifically.
 
When you say Dr. Callahan was receptive, do you mean she actually answers to specific parts of your letters, or that she has been consistently sending you confirmation emails with something along the lines of "thank you for your email" and not much more? I've been sending her letters of interest and while she's always sent me a short reply to confirm she got the email, they always kind of made me feel like I'm actually bothering her and hurting my chances more than helping...

Also, how do you actually focus on attributes and opportunities? I feel like a lot of schools offer similar opportunities at this point and the aspects that are actually unique to the school are location and friends/relatives in the area. Of course, you could argue that the curriculum is unique as well, but I feel like that doesn't hold much substance coming from applicants who haven't really experienced the different types of medical school curriculum structures yet.
Her responses were short, but they felt friendly to me, not annoyed. I don't think you are bothering her. She seems to like to know when an applicant is genuinely interested in the school.

Well, there are things that are unique about Jefferson that you could connect to yourself and your experiences. For example, there are different opportunities offered - such as JeffDESIGN and JeffHOPE, and you can mention how your experiences make you interested in participating in these things. And you can mention specifically what attracts you to Philadelphia, besides for the medical school.

You can also discuss how interview day confirmed your desire to study there for reasons x and y.

Good luck!!
 
I am still very optimistic and hopeful about movement from the HPWL, and know that it is not over until closer to first day of classes. However, anybody have any thought about reapplying and if that is common in this situation? I know others who have reapplied while still on the waitlist at their top school. Just wondering if anyone else has reapplied as a precaution to schools other than Jeff while they wait...
 
I am still very optimistic and hopeful about movement from the HPWL, and know that it is not over until closer to first day of classes. However, anybody have any thought about reapplying and if that is common in this situation? I know others who have reapplied while still on the waitlist at their top school. Just wondering if anyone else has reapplied as a precaution to schools other than Jeff while they wait...

I'm definitely reapplying. This week if not today. I'm kind of torn between rewriting my PS though because it got me 5 interviews last cycle and one of the adcoms explicitly told me that the PS was well written. Idk if this will actually hurt me though.

Edit: Reapplying shouldn't affect my current HPWL status, right? So if I get accepted by one of my waitlists, I can just withdraw from the 2017-2018 cycle with no repercussions?
 
I'm definitely reapplying. This week if not today. I'm kind of torn between rewriting my PS though because it got me 5 interviews last cycle and one of the adcoms explicitly told me that the PS was well written. Idk if this will actually hurt me though.

Edit: Reapplying shouldn't affect my current HPWL status, right? So if I get accepted by one of my waitlists, I can just withdraw from the 2017-2018 cycle with no repercussions?

Totally understand! I guess it depends if you're applying to the same schools you did previously that interviewed you or not, but you should definitely keep it if you got such positive feedback!

And as far as withdrawing if accepted, I think it shouldn't affect you if you're applying to different schools from the ones you're waitlisted at. Hopefully you get off those waitlists, but if you don't then just add them afterwards if you're still interested... at least that's what I'm thinking is a good way to go about it! Hopefully this is all just worse case scenario for both of us haha good luck to us!
 
ok so real question. can an additional update/rec/letter ever be negative? like is there ANY way in which it would be taken negatively apart from the content itself?

I don't mind if its taken neutrally but I just don't want it to be negative. any insight ?
 
still trying to figure out what to do with my HPWL status. I have an acceptance to another school thats similarly ranked, but tbh I would come to Jefferson if accepted soon, due to its location in center philadelphia... But I can't wait for much longer, there's stuff that needs to be done, housing, finances, moving, etc etc. I'm thinking of setting a day that if Jeff doesn't respond by I will do away with them. I hate this feeling of uncertainty, I just wanna know where I'm going now so I can dedicate all my efforts towards preparing for a specific school, not waiting to find out which school
 
ok so real question. can an additional update/rec/letter ever be negative? like is there ANY way in which it would be taken negatively apart from the content itself?

I don't mind if its taken neutrally but I just don't want it to be negative. any insight ?
I don't see why a letter of recommendation would ever be taking negatively, if the content describes you positively.
 
still trying to figure out what to do with my HPWL status. I have an acceptance to another school thats similarly ranked, but tbh I would come to Jefferson if accepted soon, due to its location in center philadelphia... But I can't wait for much longer, there's stuff that needs to be done, housing, finances, moving, etc etc. I'm thinking of setting a day that if Jeff doesn't respond by I will do away with them. I hate this feeling of uncertainty, I just wanna know where I'm going now so I can dedicate all my efforts towards preparing for a specific school, not waiting to find out which school
Maybe express that to Jefferson, if you haven't already? Email Dr. Callahan about your other acceptance, telling her that you'd take Jefferson over it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can any current or past student comment on how accurate the yearly expenditure budget is that financial aid sets?