-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread
Started by To be MD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
LOR request too...just made the cutoff i suppose lol submitted this one 8/25
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol me too. Great timing on our parts, we missed all the early rejections.LOR request too...just made the cutoff i suppose lol submitted this one 8/25
Sorry about that @DameJulie 🙁Rejected w/o LOR request. It was a reach school of mine.
Thanks! I knew such miracle won't happen to me but still felt the passion to apply 🙂Sorry about that @DameJulie 🙁
Thanks! I knew such miracle won't happen to me but still felt the passion to apply 🙂
I'm sorry my friend 🙁 when did you submit the fee if I can ask?
+5 Jon Snow application complete+4 for the zombie confirmed squad
Long shot, but anyone at the courtyard Marriott at Mayo that's here early for the interview tomorrow that would want to share an uber into downtown/hang out at the hotel? Haha
One of my letters was rejected because it was not HAND signed! That might be the case for you but you should definitely check with interfolio.Thanks! I'm going to check with interfolio on Monday to see if it's signed. Honestly, I would be very surprised if its not signed.
Not signed... kicking myself for not calling Interfolio in June haha. Hopefully I can get this fixed quickly.
That was my biggest fear before submitting. Called Interfolio three times to make sure everything was in order. Hope you get it fixed soon!
Now I'm starting to think I should have used Interfolio instead of AMCAS. lol Luckily just remembered that all my letters had to be signed for another school, so hopefully they're all acceptable by Mayo. Anyone get a Letter Request Friday night and get a complete email yet today? I'm assuming they only could have just started downloading our letters recently.That was my biggest fear before submitting. Called Interfolio three times to make sure everything was in order. Hope you get it fixed soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know off the top of thier head how many people who apply get LOR requests as well as how many people who get the request get an II? Thanks!
For Mayo MN, of all the applicants roughly 1/5th get a LOR request of which 1/4th get a II of which 1/3rd get a acceptance.
*Multiplies numbers together*For Mayo MN, of all the applicants roughly 1/5th get a LOR request of which 1/4th get a II of which 1/3rd get a acceptance.
*Cries*
For Mayo MN, of all the applicants roughly 1/5th get a LOR request of which 1/4th get a II of which 1/3rd get a acceptance.
thanks for the numbers...seems like more people at mayo az are getting LOR requests. possibly a smaller pool of applicants?
I'm expecting MMS (both campuses) to hand out more LOR requests and II than in previous years due to the new campus. It's better to review and interview more applicants to ensure Mayo-AZ gets a large enough inaugural class with the proper fit. For the same reasons, I'd wager this year's waitlist, for Mayo-AZ at least, will be bigger and have more movement than in future years or compared to Mayo-MN.
This might have been covered in an early post, so apologies if this is repetitive! Does anyone know if Mayo AZ has student (or resident, anyone really) hosts? Looking to cut down on costs post flight acquisition... Thank you!!
Mayo-AZ does not have students lolThis might have been covered in an early post, so apologies if this is repetitive! Does anyone know if Mayo AZ has student (or resident, anyone really) hosts? Looking to cut down on costs post flight acquisition... Thank you!!
Mayo-AZ does not have students lol
Yes, thank you for that tidbit, but doesn't negate the possibility of having anyone there related to the school in the near vicinity, perhaps.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
But for all we know, they could also be interviewing the same amount of people :/ though the rough "odds" for each step will definitely change this year especially with the unrejections.I'm expecting MMS (both campuses) to hand out more LOR requests and II than in previous years due to the new campus. It's better to review and interview more applicants to ensure Mayo-AZ gets a large enough inaugural class with the proper fit. For the same reasons, I'd wager this year's waitlist, for Mayo-AZ at least, will be bigger and have more movement than in future years or compared to Mayo-MN.
Airbnb?Yes, thank you for that tidbit, but doesn't negate the possibility of having anyone there related to the school in the near vicinity, perhaps.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This was true before the zombie resurrection. The first LOR screen may now allow more applicants to pass through to the second stage.For Mayo MN, of all the applicants roughly 1/5th get a LOR request of which 1/4th get a II of which 1/3rd get a acceptance.
This was true before the zombie resurrection. The first LOR screen may now allow more applicants to pass through to the second stage.
Yeah. The numbers are definitely changed following the unrejection. I still find it unlikely that they would increase the number of interviews (would be nice nice though) so the odds for that should go down.
They're planning to interview 400-450.Yeah. The numbers are definitely changed following the unrejection. I still find it unlikely that they would increase the number of interviews (would be nice nice though) so the odds for that should go down.
They are 100% increasing number of interviews. They told us during the interview.Yeah. The numbers are definitely changed following the unrejection. I still find it unlikely that they would increase the number of interviews (would be nice nice though) so the odds for that should go down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They told my group 350-400They're planning to interview 400-450.

They're planning to interview 400-450.
Didn't know that. That's great news! Did they also mention when they were ending interviews this year?They are 100% increasing number of interviews. They told us during the interview.
400 interviews are 10~% of applicants. Are they increasing class sizes?
400 interviews are 10~% of applicants. Are they increasing class sizes?
That's the Mayo-illion dollar question, isn't it? (Terrible pun, sorry all [emoji24])
Didn't know that. That's great news! Did they also mention when they were ending interviews this year?
January
400 interviews are 10~% of applicants. Are they increasing class sizes?
Nope, 5o MD spots
😵 such low post interview yields. Guess they really want this inaugural class to be superb.Nope, 5o MD spots
Their yields have always been low, even for the other campus. So LOR request of .25 interview of .25 acceptance of .33 = .02😵 such low post interview yields. Guess they really want this inaugural class to be superb.
Applying to both and getting LOR requests assuming that the II is independent between the two .5X.5X.66= .165
.5X.66 = .33- Odds of acceptance post LOR request.
😵 such low post interview yields. Guess they really want this inaugural class to be superb.
Mayo's acceptance post-II last year was 25%, the lowest of any MD school.Their yields have always been low, even for the other campus. So LOR request of .25 interview of .25 acceptance of .33 = .02
Applying to both and getting LOR requests assuming that the II is independent between the two .5X.5X.66= .165
.5X.66 = .33- Odds of acceptance post LOR request.
Completely random, but you can do what I did if anyone you know happens to have a timeshare through Diamond Resorts. There is one in Northern Scottsdale that is really easy to get to that they can book for some points for a night or two. I actually stayed there for my UACOM-Phx interview and you get a whole 1-bedroom condo to yourself. Probably doesn't help you, but at the random chance it did I thought I would say something, because I myself forgot I could do that until someone offered their points to me. Moral of the story: befriend people with timeshares they don't use.Yes, thank you for that tidbit, but doesn't negate the possibility of having anyone there related to the school in the near vicinity, perhaps.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I assume they are projecting lower yield for AZ campus
They are also increasing the number of interviews at MnAYO though. They are gonna have the same number of interviews at both. I assume there will be a few more acceptances/waitlist movement at MAzYO though.I assume they are projecting lower yield for AZ campus
Mayo's acceptance post-II last year was 25%, the lowest of any MD school.
400 interviews per campus, 80 acceptances offered to fill a class of 50, not good odds, but probably more acceptances offered this year because of yield issues for the new campus and overlap in applicant pools.
Or Mayo-AZ might look at how much interviewees express their interest and weigh that more heavily for the inaugural class so their matriculant/acceptee ratio isn't so bad. More scholarship money would also help.
They said they'd only consider offering merit based scholarships after all need-based is met.400 interviews per campus, 80 acceptances offered to fill a class of 50, not good odds, but probably more acceptances offered this year because of yield issues for the new campus and overlap in applicant pools.
Or Mayo-AZ might look at how much interviewees express their interest and weigh that more heavily for the inaugural class so their matriculant/acceptee ratio isn't so bad. More scholarship money would also help.
I want to emphasize that they're not treating Mayo-AZ truly as a new school, but more as an extension of the national medical school (one accreditation and they kept emphasizing that). They won't have a problem filling out a class.
For those that have received II's, is there a secondary now? I seem to remember reading something about that, but haven't gotten anything yet. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that have received II's, is there a secondary now? I seem to remember reading something about that, but haven't gotten anything yet. Thanks!
There are pre-interview questions: (1) Why Mayo and (2) Diversity. I got my pre-interview questions 3 days after I got the interview confirmation email from Susan.
Can anyone who has already interviewed speak to the general schedule of the interview day and what to expect with the interviews? I'm going to Arizona this week and just want to know what I'm in store fore 🙂
Does anyone have recommendations for local hotels? The mayo hotel is too expensive at $170/night.
How are you getting to the interview site? If you're like me and renting a car, I would just stay in Phoenix (probably cheaper hotel options) and leave the hotel at 7AM. What about airbnb?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K