2016-2017 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
f909c8611377b1fde26bc2398ae4c1d1_-spongebob-waiting-meme_500-338.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!
Planning to send an update letter in the next day or two.

Just wondering what you guys included in yours/the general format?

I was thinking something like this.
1. Thanks for the wait list position. Hope I'm accepted. Will definitely attend if so.
2. Here are the new important things I need to tell you. Here's how they make me a more attractive candidate for MUSM.
3. For these reasons, I'm interested in MUSM, etc.

I was also thinking short and sweet, maybe half a page would be good? But I don't really know and am unexperienced in this.

Any advice helps please :)!

Hey guys!
Planning to send an update letter in the next day or two.

Just wondering what you guys included in yours/the general format?

I was thinking something like this.
1. Thanks for the wait list position. Hope I'm accepted. Will definitely attend if so.
2. Here are the new important things I need to tell you. Here's how they make me a more attractive candidate for MUSM.
3. For these reasons, I'm interested in MUSM, etc.

I was also thinking short and sweet, maybe half a page would be good? But I don't really know and am unexperienced in this.

Any advice helps please :)!

That's basically the same structure as my letter!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the dress code and it mostly addressed attire in the clinical setting. What are we allowed to wear to wear in the classroom?

I was looking at the dress code and it mostly addressed attire in the clinical setting. What are we allowed to wear to wear in the classroom?
Classroom is typical college classroom. 1 dude wears an 8-piece suit. 1 wears gym shorts, flip flops and a tank top. The other 58 are somewhere in between.

Yes! I was interviewed in January and placed on the waitlist in March. I received an email from one of my interviewers letting me know I was accepted and then the official acceptance email from the university yesterday at 1 PM! I will actually be attending MCG so I hope my spot goes to one you! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 4 users
Yes! I was interviewed in January and placed on the waitlist in March. I received an email from one of my interviewers letting me know I was accepted and then the official acceptance email from the university yesterday at 1 PM! I will actually be attending MCG so I hope my spot goes to one you! Best of luck :)
Good luck next year!

e0ae1d9539bad92fb65da63044fca4f7_waiting-meme-memesuper-waiting-like-meme_625-465.jpeg

Lol sorry for the memes, but they are helping me get through this wait (interviewed in October)

When is there usually waitlist movement? May?

Yeah, the biggest movement usually comes in early May. Hopefully all of us on SDN that are still waiting will get good news!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the biggest movement usually comes in early May. Hopefully all of us on SDN that are still waiting will get good news!
That's good- not too much longer to wait! I'm pulling for you guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy traffic day! (Although it's technically tomorrow) Hoping the best for everyone! Beep! Beep! Let's get off this thing!

Last edited:
Just got accepted off the waitlist. I will be attending another school, so hopefully my spot will go to one of you guys. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
What do we do during orientation week? I figured they'd tell us about classes, we'd fill out paperwork, get hospital ID badges, team-building activities, etc. but surely there must be more to warrant a whole week for orientation. Are we going each day 9-5?

What do we do during orientation week? I figured they'd tell us about classes, we'd fill out paperwork, get hospital ID badges, team-building activities, etc. but surely there must be more to warrant a whole week for orientation. Are we going each day 9-5?
Monday we got done at 4:30
Tuesday was windshield tour where you go to a rural area, check out the hospital, go to the other hospital, visit clinics and health department and stuff - long day
Wednesday was done at 5
Thursday and Friday both done at 3, but one of those days you have BLS course 3 - 530 if yours will expire before clinicals
But basically we did what you suggested, plus the windshield tour (and presenting it), and ethics briefings

Monday we got done at 4:30
Tuesday was windshield tour where you go to a rural area, check out the hospital, go to the other hospital, visit clinics and health department and stuff - long day
Wednesday was done at 5
Thursday and Friday both done at 3, but one of those days you have BLS course 3 - 530 if yours will expire before clinicals
But basically we did what you suggested, plus the windshield tour (and presenting it), and ethics briefings
Helpful and informative, as always! Thank you!

I think I already know the answer to this question ("no"), but if I re-apply for the 2017-2018 cycle, will that kick me off the waitlist for the 2016-2017 cycle?

I think I already know the answer to this question ("no"), but if I re-apply for the 2017-2018 cycle, will that kick me off the waitlist for the 2016-2017 cycle?
No, it won't!

Anybody hear of any movement?

It appears to be moving much slower than previous years unfortunately....
I know it's tough waiting, but based on an e-mail I received yesterday it seems like there are still several available spots, in Savannah at least. So expect some waitlist movement soon : ).

Only several spots left? My heart just sank... :(

The last two people on SDN to get accepted were already planning on going to another school, so I hope that is a trend that continues and more people get to come off the list.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about movement since last Monday? Also, are you guys reapplying for the 2017-2018 cycle? I'm getting my application ready... :bookworm:

Has anyone heard anything about movement since last Monday? Also, are you guys reapplying for the 2017-2018 cycle? I'm getting my application ready... :bookworm:
Nothing yet :(. When does movement typically end?

And yeah. I'm trying to decide if I should reapply as well...

Nothing yet :(. When does movement typically end?

And yeah. I'm trying to decide if I should reapply as well...

Someone got off the waitlist last year in late July, so who knows?? This year doesn't seem to be going the same as last year. I feel like the more I complain about it, the less likely I am to get accepted off the waitlist. :p

I'm applying ED to Mercer and if I get pushed to RD, then I'm going to add some DO schools this time.

I think now is the time to plan on reapplying, particularly if you are going to go ED. The odds of any one person being taken of the waitlist after traffic day has to be very low, so if you are serious about med school, this is the week to send out your letter requests, start working on your PS, and take time to improve your EC write-ups. If you put it off, you will increase the chances of giving yourself another year of torture even if you are move competitive.

Also, remember that ED interviews in August or September (early), so now (today) is the time to get that scribing job, go to EMT school, or get on someones research team (and start volunteering frequently). If you get in off the waitlist, you can quit. If you don't, you will be more competitive for ED, and you will have updates to send if you get rolled over.

I know everyone is different, but my guess is that most people who are waiting to see if they get in before starting their application at this point are doing so because they really just don't want to do the application. Eventually you will have put it off and put it off until you end up submitting in August and unnecessarily and substantially increase your odds of having to apply a third time.

TLDR;
Assume you didn't get in and go hard to get your app submitted on day 1.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone, I was accepted off the waitlist this evening! It was also my birthday this week, so this was best gift I've ever received. In fact, I was getting ready to sign up for post-bacc courses... Don't lose the hope just yet, keep fighting!
Best wishes to everyone still waiting.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone, I was accepted off the waitlist this evening! It was also my birthday this week, so this was best gift I've ever received. In fact, I was getting ready to sign up for post-bacc courses... Don't lose the hope just yet, keep fighting!
Congratulations!

Congratulations! Now hurry up and join the Facebook group, someone is setting up a meet up for a braves game and it's last call for tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted off the waitlist a couple days ago!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think that adding a new LOE would help me any at this point?

Can anyone provide insight with how Columbus will be for years 3+4?

My interviewer was a 4th year student and she seemed to really like being in Columbus. There weren't very many other students, so she got a lot of one-on-one time with the doctors and patients. She was able to get a lot of practice because she wasn't competing with as many students.

recently accepted off the waitlist. I was wondering if there was a facebook group for this year's class.

recently accepted off the waitlist. I was wondering if there was a facebook group for this year's class.

There's 2 actually, one created by an incoming student and one created by a rising 2nd year. They'll show up in a search for mercer school of medicine class of 2021.

And congrats!

Does anyone know when we will hear about our financial aid package and when we actually receive the financial aid?

I called a month ago and the financial aid office said we would know by June, so I guess soon.

Hey all! Any of you looking for a roommate? I visited Ashley towers today but was not too impressed. I am considering the Lofts at College Hill or Navicent at this time. Any thoughts?
-Thanks.

Are you on the Facebook group? There are some folks on there looking for people.