2016-2017 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is that any of your business?

To the waitlisted people don't put your hopes in Mercer (especially if you are from anywhere near metro Atlanta) they interview way too many people and waitlist a bunch for no reason too. Prepare to reapply and if you get in then congrats.

Ignore the folks on here who don't know what they are talking about, I'm a 1st year here and at least half of our class is from metro Atlanta. Don't let where you are from discourage you. Also, roughly 80% of the entire class comes from either ED or waitlist, so don't give up hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I got a confirmation email this morning for the waitlist, and as usual, I was terrified until I read the subject line :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I got a confirmation email this morning for the waitlist, and as usual, I was terrified until I read the subject line :laugh::laugh::laugh:
+1. Because I also asked about wait list rank, she replied that she was unable to provide the information, but she said the committee used the "unranked" wait list, but they would strongly weight committee's evaluations and ratings of applicants. She also mentioned that substantial updates matter the final decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. Because I also asked about wait list rank, she replied that she was unable to provide the information, but she said the committee used the "unranked" wait list, but they would strongly weight committee's evaluations and ratings of applicants. She also mentioned that substantial updates matter the final decision.

Cool. That info was in my email, too, though. I'm glad she mentioned that letters count in the review process. :xf:

Cool. That info was in my email, too, though. I'm glad she mentioned that letters count in the review process. :xf:
oh, I thought I only got that info because I asked. Lol.

oh, I thought I only got that info because I asked. Lol.

Lol! It's cool. There were probably a lot of people that asked about the ranking and letters and such, so she just hit everything with one email.

Reactions: 1 user
@killerbandana Common sense would tell me to remove my name from the pool and make room for other applicants as soon as I knew I was going someplace else, though I guess it's fair enough to assume s/he simply forgot to do so.

I'd like to echo @Tommytom with regard to this comment. Seems like sour grapes to me.

Lol no sour grapes, I got accepted to a better a school.

I just wasted a year believing Mercer. I know of two practicing physicians who told me not to bother with Mercer because of where I am from and know 5 personal friends who had the same thing happen. Just trying to give people a heads up but it's good.

Anyone can hold on to as many or as few acceptance even if they never go to that school for different reasons. So it really is none of your business why people do anything during their application. But based on your previous posts your overly involved so do you, Your Highness.

Last edited:
Lol no sour grapes, I got accepted to a better a school.

I just wasted a year believing Mercer. I know of two practicing physicians who told me not to bother with Mercer because of where I am from and know 5 personal friends who had the same thing happen. Just trying to give people a heads up but it's good.

Anyone can hold on to as many or as few acceptance even if they never go to that school for different reasons. So it really is none of your business why people do anything during their application. But based on your previous posts your overly involved so do you, Your Highness.
Congrats on suppressing your personality through an entire interview day at MCG

Reactions: 2 users
@killerbandana I agree, it's none of anyone's business. But why would you even go there? I think people were just a little turned off by the fact that you were commenting about not even wanting to go to Mercer, while other people are waiting on pins and needles, hoping for an acceptance. You have every right to hold multiple acceptances. But I think this little spat could have been avoided if you had had a liiiittle more tact and kept the fact that you had no intention of attending, even if accepted, to yourself. That's just not something that other people need to know. Know your audience.

Genuinely, congrats on your acceptance, now let's all move on from this spat, please!

Anyone know what type of stethoscope (the brand) they give us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone also on the waitlist know why the waitlist was created so early this year? Also, is there any significance as to what it means regarding those on the waitlist/incoming class?

Does anyone also on the waitlist know why the waitlist was created so early this year? Also, is there any significance as to what it means regarding those on the waitlist/incoming class?

I think there may have been a significant increase in the amount of applicants this year. Maybe the class was just filled faster moving up the creation of the waitlist. That idea is just my personal speculation.

Has anyone sent in an update letter? If so, did you receive an email confirmation that it had been added to your application?

Has anyone sent in an update letter? If so, did you receive an email confirmation that it had been added to your application?
I have also a question related when is a good time to send the update letter since grades for this semester will not be out till May. What do you think? any feedback is appreciated.

Yes. I received confirmation from Brittini Hancock that the letter was added to my file.

I have also a question related when is a good time to send the update letter since grades for this semester will not be out till May. What do you think? any feedback is appreciated.

Technically, any time between now and August/rejection would be an appropriate time for an update, but I would say that now through the end of May is the best time to send one in. You could wait until your grades are posted for the letter if you wanted. I don't think that would be too late, but these are just my personal opinions.

Yes. I received confirmation from Brittini Hancock that the letter was added to my file.

Technically, any time between now and August/rejection would be an appropriate time for an update, but I would say that now through the end of May is the best time to send one in. You could wait until your grades are posted for the letter if you wanted. I don't think that would be too late, but these are just my personal opinions.

Thanks for the reply. I emailed them last week with no response so I resent the email today and they replied instantly.

Personally I think May is too late (unless you have no updates except grades, then it is the right time). My understanding (from previous years) is that April 30th is the last day to get a refund for those holding multiple admissions (and it seems many people hold these admissions). I would think that your best shot would be to get in the first wave post April 30th (and those acceptances are normally put out that following week, suggesting that any hypothetical rank order would be finalized sometime before the 30th), and that your odds drop drastically after that point.

To sum up, and as always, understand that I have no inside knowledge: A good update by April 15-20th might be more valuable than a great one in early May.

Personally I think May is too late (unless you have no updates except grades, then it is the right time). My understanding (from previous years) is that April 30th is the last day to get a refund for those holding multiple admissions (and it seems many people hold these admissions). I would think that your best shot would be to get in the first wave post April 30th (and those acceptances are normally put out that following week, suggesting that any hypothetical rank order would be finalized sometime before the 30th), and that your odds drop drastically after that point.

To sum up, and as always, understand that I have no inside knowledge: A good update by April 15-20th might be more valuable than a great one in early May.

I say go with that. :)

Can any current students give us a rough schedule for M1? Like when do classes start and end each day?

Can any current students give us a rough schedule for M1? Like when do classes start and end each day?
https://medicine.mercer.edu/www/mu-...20-2024-Academic-Year-Calendar-MD-Program.pdf

Oh sorry misread.

8:45 to 12:00 MW
Maybe something 1:00-4:00 MW
10:00-12:00 TR
Maybe something 1:00-3:00 TR
quiz 9-10 1st and 3rd Friday
Quiz 8-9:30 2nd Friday
Quiz 8-10:30 4th Friday
Quizzes based on 4 week module

Also, that schedule is going to either be for yall and then we change MS2, or we will keep it MS2 and y'all will have something diff MS1. (MW 8:45-12:00 likely wouldn't change)

Last edited:
https://medicine.mercer.edu/www/mu-...20-2024-Academic-Year-Calendar-MD-Program.pdf

Oh sorry misread.

Also, that schedule is going to either be for yall and then we change MS2, or we will keep it MS2 and y'all will have something diff MS1. (MW 8:45-12:00 likely wouldn't change)

That's perfect, thank you!

Oh sorry misread.

Question:

So according to the link you posted, the Class of 2020 had orientation Aug. 15 - 19 and I saw that Macon had their White Coat Ceremony Aug. 27, and Savannah Aug. 20. Can we assume that our WCC will be the weekend after week 1 orientation- probably Aug. 19 or Aug. 26 depending on campus?

https://news.mercer.edu/articles/20...te-coat-ceremony-in-savannah.cfm#.WML8AG8rKJA

https://news.mercer.edu/articles/20...white-coat-ceremony-in-macon.cfm#.WML8DG8rKJA

Question:

So according to the link you posted, the Class of 2020 had orientation Aug. 15 - 19 and I saw that Macon had their White Coat Ceremony Aug. 27, and Savannah Aug. 20. Can we assume that our WCC will be the weekend after week 1 orientation- probably Aug. 19 or Aug. 26 depending on campus?

https://news.mercer.edu/articles/20...te-coat-ceremony-in-savannah.cfm#.WML8AG8rKJA

https://news.mercer.edu/articles/20...white-coat-ceremony-in-macon.cfm#.WML8DG8rKJA
Maybe? I don't know if they have hashed that out, but whoever emails you all your stuff might know.

I know that the last day of orientation in Macon was getting our white coats so we could go get our names and school patches put on them for the ceremony, so we wouldn't have been ready the first weekend. I believe they are on different weekends so the Dean can attend both.

Maybe? I don't know if they have hashed that out, but whoever emails you all your stuff might know.

I know that the last day of orientation in Macon was getting our white coats so we could go get our names and school patches put on them for the ceremony, so we wouldn't have been ready the first weekend. I believe they are on different weekends so the Dean can attend both.
I asked Sabina when I spoke to her this week and she said it's currently planned for the Saturday after orientation week (so August 19th).

SoYouDontWantaFishSandWch,
Are the lectures recorded for us to watch later?

SoYouDontWantaFishSandWch,
Are the lectures recorded for us to watch later?
No. That has been a big complaint this year. Really, there aren't any lectures to be recorded (and previous ones are not provided). We are almost 100% active learning. Also, everything is mandatory (with the exception of test reviews), so you will get to (have to) see everything first hand.

Hey guys,

Has anyone submitted a Letter of Rec as an update on the wait list? I submitted one through AMCAS almost 2 weeks ago and while AMCAS says it was received, I have yet to get confirmation or response from Mercer via secondary portal, email, or phone. Just checking because I don't really want to send another email to pester them so I figured I do that here!

Thanks in advance!

@Tommytom @SoYouDontWantaFishSandwch do y'all want to get in here and explain the curriculum change, if you can?
I thought traditional was organ-based, or organ system-based.

So we definitely aren't traditional, though the new curriculum probably is much closer to the old curriculum than a traditional one. We don't do physiology for M1 and path for M2. I think the old curriculum probably was more organ-system-based, but integrated, where path and physiology were taught simultaneously. Now it is more integrative, where there is a loose tie to the organ system in each module, to include physiology and pathology, but the concepts are more stretched out (this is for the second semester and presumably the 3rd and 4th)

So....

M1 1st semester - Foundations of Medicine (or something like that) - This was anatomy (throughout semester that followed the dissection), and then basic sciences stretched out throughout the semester (immuno, and kind of an intro to micro and histo, some biochemistry, very little embryo and then probably some other stuff). There were "problems/cases/pathologies" that we would sometimes use to stimulate discussion of these things). I'm sorry if this isn't very coherent, but I don't imagine we will really appreciate the curriculum until it is over. I think the idea is that we are getting exposure to all parts of the science part of the curriculum.

M1 2nd semester - 4 modules, 4 weeks each, loosely neuro/brain&behav/MSK/Derm. I say loosely, because we are in MSK and still doing brain and behavior stuff, and will continue doing some of that stuff throughout Derm. So far, the benefits seem to be that we are visiting topics and drugs repeatedly, as we learn it incrementally, and so maybe we will retain it better than someone that moves from one system to another. Most apparent drawback is that external resources follow organ systems, and, for example, we can't use practice tests for MSK, because we won't finish bones until part way through derm.

M2 is divided into organ systems and may be treated integrated like M1 semester 2 or may not, don't know yet.

Didn't proofread this because I have to study.

Reactions: 5 users

So we definitely aren't traditional, though the new curriculum probably is much closer to the old curriculum than a traditional one. We don't do physiology for M1 and path for M2. I think the old curriculum probably was more organ-system-based, but integrated, where path and physiology were taught simultaneously. Now it is more integrative, where there is a loose tie to the organ system in each module, to include physiology and pathology, but the concepts are more stretched out (this is for the second semester and presumably the 3rd and 4th)

So....

M1 1st semester - Foundations of Medicine (or something like that) - This was anatomy (throughout semester that followed the dissection), and then basic sciences stretched out throughout the semester (immuno, and kind of an intro to micro and histo, some biochemistry, very little embryo and then probably some other stuff). There were "problems/cases/pathologies" that we would sometimes use to stimulate discussion of these things). I'm sorry if this isn't very coherent, but I don't imagine we will really appreciate the curriculum until it is over. I think the idea is that we are getting exposure to all parts of the science part of the curriculum.

M1 2nd semester - 4 modules, 4 weeks each, loosely neuro/brain&behav/MSK/Derm. I say loosely, because we are in MSK and still doing brain and behavior stuff, and will continue doing some of that stuff throughout Derm. So far, the benefits seem to be that we are visiting topics and drugs repeatedly, as we learn it incrementally, and so maybe we will retain it better than someone that moves from one system to another. Most apparent drawback is that external resources follow organ systems, and, for example, we can't use practice tests for MSK, because we won't finish bones until part way through derm.

M2 is divided into organ systems and may be treated integrated like M1 semester 2 or may not, don't know yet.

Thanks for taking the time to share this!

So....

Thank You for helping us understand it

The last 15 days for traffic day. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

Highly recommend going to this! Lots of solid insight into the application process as a whole and how Mercer processes applicants.

I also highly recommend going to this for the same reasons. It is also a good way to familiarize yourself with the admissions staff, and it will look good for your application next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile