2016-2017 Mercer University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent an update in November. It is my understanding, that it will not help me unless I was waitlisted. I interviewed in September and already had the permanent rank number assigned to my file at the October committee meeting.
Is there any way we can know our permanent score?
 
@kyhuynh unfortunately, no 🙁. This question has been asked a bunch in the threads from previous years.

And as for application updates, @SoYouDontWantaFishSandwch is right on the money. Good luck to you, everyone!

Since I already sent an update in November, I shouldn't send another update in March should I?
 
Last edited:
Since I already sent an update in November, I should not try and send another update in March should I?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I am just a student and am going off of my impressions, and not some research I may have done. So... If you don't have any updates, then don't send one in. However, I think an update will help show interest which may be very important at a school like this - they make multiple passes through the waitlist to fill the class. Updates can include fall grades, more volunteering stuff, shadowing, OR, that rural/underserved thing that you start doing right now so you can submit it as an update shortly after the waitlist comes out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted. I'm some combination of grateful for this much and disappointed. Haven't been having a very successful application season. This is the closest I've gotten to acceptance yet.
Don't be disappointed! Based on their numbers from last cycle they accept about half of those wait listed, so you still have a good chance! 🙂
 
Don't be disappointed! Based on their numbers from last cycle they accept about half of those wait listed, so you still have a good chance!
The email actually implied the percentage that gets off the WL will be lower this year because they've already WL'ed more people for the same number of seats.
 
The email actually implied the percentage that gets off the WL will be lower this year because they've already WL'ed more people for the same number of seats.
I see. Well at least you know where you stand now. I just keep refreshing my e-mail and so far nothing... :/
 
The email actually implied the percentage that gets off the WL will be lower this year because they've already WL'ed more people for the same number of seats.

I kind of got the same vibe from that email...Though I guess it IS only 20 extra waitlisted applicants...Anyway I guess off to D.O. school I go!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted! Happy to finally get my first non-rejection but going into the cycle I viewed Mercer as my safety. I have no idea what happened...
 
Maybe I should get ready for some bad news soon... nothing from Mercer tonight. Guess that means rejection since I didn't get a waitlist email?
 
Waitlisted like everyone here! Is there any way we can know our rank in the wait list? 🙁
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted! They took forever to get back to me. Interviewed in early October. Oh well, I wasn't going to Mercer even if I got in, so I'll be withdrawing my name from the alternative list. Good luck everyone waiting!
 
Since Mercer assigns a numerical rank to each applicant's profile post-interview, would an update letter be beneficial for this school?
 
@QuentinT88 Congrats on your acceptance to another program!

I'm sure everyone on the alternate list is grateful to see this - but why not pull out from the applicant pool sooner?

Why is that any of your business?

To the waitlisted people don't put your hopes in Mercer (especially if you are from anywhere near metro Atlanta) they interview way too many people and waitlist a bunch for no reason too. Prepare to reapply and if you get in then congrats.
 
Since Mercer assigns a numerical rank to each applicant's profile post-interview, would an update letter be beneficial for this school?

I sent them one because I've read that the Dean picks who comes off the waitlist and that it's not solely dependent on our score.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent them one because I've read that the Dean picks who comes off the waitlist and that it's not solely dependent on our score.
Who did you send a letter to? The dean of the medical school or the dean of admissions (there is one for each campus)?
 
Who did you send a letter to? The dean of the medical school or the dean of admissions (there is one for each campus)?

I actually sent mine to Brittini Hancock, the Admissions Specialist for the Macon campus, because she is the person with whom I have always had direct contact. You can send it to the Dean of Admissions for whichever campus you interviewed at if you think that is better; I am assuming the letter will end up in the same place no matter who it is addressed to. Even if you address it to the Dean, the Admissions Specialist is the person who will likely be handling the letter.