2016-2017 Quinnipiac University (Netter) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (Limit 250 Words)

2. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

3. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes will contribute to the "vision, mission and values" of the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine.

Please answer only two of the questions below.

1. What advice (non-academic) would you give to your younger self?

2. As a physician, how can you impact social change?

3. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet?
(If yes, then please post the essays and the character limit)
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today, July 5th.

Here are the prompts @WedgeDawg :

1. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? (Limit 250 Words)

2. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

3. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes will contribute to the "vision, mission and values" of the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine.

Please answer only two of the questions below.

1. What advice (non-academic) would you give to your younger self?

2. As a physician, how can you impact social change?

3. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received today! Good luck everyone!

Submitted today! Woohoo! Good luck all!

I know this school has a very specific mission to build the ranks of primary care doctors, but do you think answering the first question as "surgery" would be a kiss of death?

I know this school has a very specific mission to build the ranks of primary care doctors, but do you think answering the first question as "surgery" would be a kiss of death?

I said surgery or EM and was accepted. Say whatever is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I can't login for some reason. I'll call them tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone else had this problem and were able to troubleshoot it?

How is everyone tackling the second prompt on the essay portion? I have read and reread the "vision, mission and values" of the school and I am struggling to come with something to write.

Can someone post the word/character count for these prompts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually LOVE this prompt: What advice (non-academic) would you give to your younger self?

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted! Still waiting for 2 LORs to arrive from AMCAS tho -_-

IS, secondary received! Prompts same as last year. Submitted secondary today, 7/15/16

Last edited:
For the course entry form, what is the lab checkbox for? Is it to designate entry of a lab class (for chem and bio) or is it to show that your lecture was bundled with a lab?

For the course entry form, what is the lab checkbox for? Is it to designate entry of a lab class (for chem and bio) or is it to show that your lecture was bundled with a lab?

I did for both... If it was a lecture class with lab included, I checked the box. If it was a solo lab class, I also checked the box. There weren't really instructions, so I just went with this lol

I did for both... If it was a lecture class with lab included, I checked the box. If it was a solo lab class, I also checked the box. There weren't really instructions, so I just went with this lol
Hmm thats makes sense. Guess I'll just input all by chem, ochem and bio labs separately.

Just submitted!!
Just submitted! Still waiting for 2 LORs to arrive from AMCAS tho -_-

I'm also awaiting 2 LoRs to be sent to AMCAS --- Although i'm wondering if they'll start reviewing my app after we have the 4 LoRs required on file.

Just got off the phone with Quinnipiac admissions:
-If you school offers lectures with a lab component combined, check the lab box
-If your school offers lectures and labs separately, list the lab and lecture as a separate classes and do not check the lab box for either.
The application doesn't specify, so don't forget to list you chem, orgo and bio labs if your school doesn't combine lecture and classes!

OMG!!! I literally just finished writing my essays only to realize the requirement is 250 words NOT 500!!!
*end rant*

Reactions: 5 users
I'm confused about the how many hours per week you worked & for how many years. Is this referring to only paid work hours or does volunteer also count?

Do you have to be verified in order to receive QU's secondary? And what is their threshold criteria for screening? Thanks!!

Just curious what photo did you guys use to submit? Idk if I should be conservative and submit sth like my drivers license (smiling of course) or the happy hugging my dog facebook profile pic?:arghh:

Do you have to be verified in order to receive QU's secondary? And what is their threshold criteria for screening? Thanks!!
I received it the next day but I was verified already. I'm not sure if there's a cut off or anything.

Just curious what photo did you guys use to submit? Idk if I should be conservative and submit sth like my drivers license (smiling of course) or the happy hugging my dog facebook profile pic?:arghh:

Definitely be conservative and smile. If you're a guy, wear a suit and tie and stand in front of a plain background like you're taking a passport photo.

When I went to their info session on campus, they said to submit a professional photo.

Also - verified today, AND received Quinnipiac secondary today. Woo!!

Max # of LORs we can submit is 4, right?

Is anybody having formatting issues when copying/pasting responses into the application? It removes all the spacing I have between paragraphs.

Is anybody having formatting issues when copying/pasting responses into the application? It removes all the spacing I have between paragraphs.

which browser are you using? I used chrome and it seemed to retain the formatting.

No IIs yet? Last year they were sent out super early!

Haven't heard anything myself. Really into this school, here's hoping people start hearing good news soon!

Is it worth applying here if I have no interest in primary care? I know they value that and don't want to waste money and time on the secondary.

Is it worth applying here if I have no interest in primary care? I know they value that and don't want to waste money and time on the secondary.

Yes, they accept and welcome students with all interests. They do want a fraction of their students to pursue a career in primary care, so that's something to keep in mind.

While the first class graduates this year, I know that a lot of students are applying to residencies other than those in primary care. By going here, you are not at all limited to one career path.

According to last year's thread, the secondary screen is:

30+ MCAT and 3.0+ total GPA
27-29 MCAT and 3.2+
24-26 MCAT and 3.6+

Yes, they accept and welcome students with all interests. They do want a fraction of their students to pursue a career in primary care, so that's something to keep in mind.

While the first class graduates this year, I know that a lot of students are applying to residencies other than those in primary care. By going here, you are not at all limited to one career path.

Do they still have the two week turn around rule for secondaries? If so, I'm going on my fourth week since receiving it.

Do they still have the two week turn around rule for secondaries? If so, I'm going on my fourth week since receiving it.
You probably should not wait that long to send in a secondary in general. Shows you do not have deep-rooted interest in the school and that you are prioritizing other schools or activities in front of that school. Regarding the rule, I am not aware.

Shows you do not have deep-rooted interest in the school and that you are prioritizing other schools or activities in front of that school.

Yeah god forbid I need to continue working full-time and move out of my apartment.

Reactions: 15 users
Yeah god forbid I need to continue working full-time and move out of my apartment.
It's July. There are folks that haven't even submitted their primaries yet. SDN users and their timelines are not representative of the general population. Of course you have other important commitments. I'm sure you're a stellar candidate and that will shine through, whether you submit at 2 weeks or 7.

Sorry, did not mean it like that! Of course you have stuff to do. But I was trying to say it gives you the best shot. But again, I don't know about the hard deadline. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry, did not mean it like that! Of course you have stuff to do. But I was trying to say it gives you the best shot. But again, I don't know about the hard deadline. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I understood you, it just sounded a bit dismissive / oversimplified. I work 50-60 hours a week and it's been very hard to push out all of these secondaries.

Still holding onto a few and I've been worrying about whether it's too late. I figure it should be fine though as long as I get it in as soon as I can.

Reactions: 3 users
I understood you, it just sounded a bit dismissive / oversimplified. I work 50-60 hours a week and it's been very hard to push out all of these secondaries.

Still holding onto a few and I've been worrying about whether it's too late. I figure it should be fine though as long as I get it in as soon as I can.
Yeah, I mean I myself have sent several secondaries in past two weeks...I meant to say that is something to aim for to have the best shot. Should have added the "best shot" part. My bad.

Yeah, I mean I myself have sent several secondaries in past two weeks...I meant to say that is something to aim for to have the best shot. Should have added the "best shot" part. My bad.
You're fine, I'm just super salty. So much to do. So little time, and essays on top of that.

You're fine, I'm just super salty. So much to do. So little time, and essays on top of that.
I hear you, I started a new job the day I submitted Amcas primary. I had to not only get used to the new job but also work 50 hr weeks. The secondaries started pouring in and it was tough! See if you can talk to your supervisor and explain this and get some time off like a day for completing the secondaries. That helped me .

I hear you, I started a new job the day I submitted Amcas primary. I had to not only get used to the new job but also work 50 hr weeks. The secondaries started pouring in and it was tough! See if you can talk to your supervisor and explain this and get some time off like a day for completing the secondaries. That helped me .
Ehhhh I'd rather continue serving patients than get a day off for essays.