You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Quinnipiac
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1124957
OOS A, fast turn around
Congrats! When did u interview?OOS A, fast turn around
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1124957
1/12Congrats! When did u interview?
go for it, theres a few others that post here as well, feel free to message any of themAny current Medical Students here that would be okay with me DMing them a few questions about Netter? Much appreciated! Thank you!
i appreciated getting thoughtful emails when i did interviews, certainly not expected or required, probably won't move the needle much, but it is a great way to follow up with questions and stay connected if you vibed with them. i've stayed in touch with multiple people that i interviewed who were accepted and was able to help with housing, etcthe med student interviewer gave me her email! As for the faculty interviewer I reached out to our admissions contact and he provided the email. Both replied immediately and were very appreciative!
thoughtful meaning something more than a generic copy pasted letter. it doesnt need to be a noveli appreciated getting thoughtful emails when i did interviews, certainly not expected or required, probably won't move the needle much, but it is a great way to follow up with questions and stay connected if you vibed with them. i've stayed in touch with multiple people that i interviewed who were accepted and was able to help with housing, etc
Hello so and so,
thanks so much for taking the time to interview me, i really enjoyed our conversation about that thing we both like, and i appreciated your (candor, insight,...) when you shared your stuff. I'm appropriately excited about joining the netter fam and hope to see you in july or something.
xoxo
don't overthink it
yeah? they have some mission statement stuff on the webpage. i get the impression the adcom values demonstrated commitment to service more than other places. definitely not primarily research focused, though my understanding is the new dean was brought on in part to improve that area.What kinda school is Quinnipiac? Service-oriented?
the usual places are a good start, zillow, apartmentfinder, etc. craigslist is pretty good for student rentals. canal crossing and town walk are very popular appts. theres tons in the area and a housing sheet will be sent later to accepted studentsHello! Sorry for being off topic, but I was wondering if there were any current med students here who know where to search for affordable housing options or have any recommendations for particular apt complexes?
D
deleted1012716
OOS A earlier today!!! Words can’t express how excited I am right now. Interviewed mid January
stressball90
Full Member
OOS A earlier today!!! Words can’t express how excited I am right now. Interviewed mid January
Congrats! What day in mid-January?
Got an II todaydo we think they are done sending out II?
did they mention anything about a priority WL?OOS WL just now, interviewed in november :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1124957
Easy interview, look at the SDN interview thread, make sure to emphasis your interest in primary care 🙂OOS II
Crying and having a panic attack rn
Can anyone point me towards resources for how to prep for the interview for this school in particular/comments that share their experience with interviewing here?
I'm so nervous. Gah.
Congrats! What dates were offered?OOS II
Crying and having a panic attack rn
Can anyone point me towards resources for how to prep for the interview for this school in particular/comments that share their experience with interviewing here?
I'm so nervous. Gah.
Will do, thank you!Easy interview, look at the SDN interview thread, make sure to emphasis your interest in primary care 🙂
The only available date I saw was Feb 26.Congrats! What dates were offered?
cupcake311
Full Member
Easy interview, look at the SDN interview thread, make sure to emphasis your interest in primary care 🙂
OOS II
Crying and having a panic attack rn
Can anyone point me towards resources for how to prep for the interview for this school in particular/comments that share their experience with interviewing here?
I'm so nervous. Gah.
Def agree with this and may be good to have solid reasoning behind why you want to do primary care in your back pocket for rly any primary care focused school. Just know your app and the WHY behind everything you have done
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mindDef agree with this and may be good to have solid reasoning behind why you want to do primary care in your back pocket for rly any primary care focused school. Just know your app and the WHY behind everything you have done
previous-stick
New Member
Is this school a bad fit if I'm not interested in primary care? I have an upcoming interview as well and my interest is mainly in surgery and neurology, and while I'm open to switching specialties, I know I'm not interested in primary care. They seem to have a pretty decent and varied match list, so I assumed they are open to students who are interested in specialities other than primary care.Def agree with this and may be good to have solid reasoning behind why you want to do primary care in your back pocket for rly any primary care focused school. Just know your app and the WHY behind everything you have done
Last edited:
Is this school a bad fit if I'm not interested in primary care? I have an upcoming interview and my interest is mainly in surgery and neurology, and while I'm open to switching specialties, I know I'm not interested in primary care. They seem to have a pretty decent and varied match list, so I assumed they are open to students who are interested in specialities other than primary care.
Tbh I didn’t really talk about primary care at all and still got in. I think they want you to thrive no matter what you go into. Talk about how your interests connect to their programs, you can show fit in other ways.
There is a primary care focus but you could do anything
ACKjp
Full Member
Their original mission was primary care, but their match lists from the past few years are pretty strong for nearly every specialty. I’m pretty impressed by their matches in surgery and I think it reflects their commitment to their students and supporting their interestsIs this school a bad fit if I'm not interested in primary care? I have an upcoming interview and my interest is mainly in surgery and neurology, and while I'm open to switching specialties, I know I'm not interested in primary care. They seem to have a pretty decent and varied match list, so I assumed they are open to students who are interested in specialities other than primary care.
bstomd2024
Full Member
OOS II
Crying and having a panic attack rn
Can anyone point me towards resources for how to prep for the interview for this school in particular/comments that share their experience with interviewing here?
I'm so nervous. Gah.
also not interested in primary care, but i talked about how gaining a fundamental understanding in primary care and the role/importance of primary care will help me in my potential fieldIs this school a bad fit if I'm not interested in primary care? I have an upcoming interview and my interest is mainly in surgery and neurology, and while I'm open to switching specialties, I know I'm not interested in primary care. They seem to have a pretty decent and varied match list, so I assumed they are open to students who are interested in specialities other than primary care.
otherwise, truly just be yourself! I think in the first or second question I answered in a very personal manner relating to a time in which I was personally discriminated against and got nothing but support from the faculty. i think they’re looking for genuine people who will make their community stronger
previous-stick
New Member
Their original mission was primary care, but their match lists from the past few years are pretty strong for nearly every specialty. I’m pretty impressed by their matches in surgery and I think it reflects their commitment to their students and supporting their interestsI=
I know next to nothing about this, so I apologize if this is a dumb question: are past match lists still reliable indicators for future match chances now that Step 1 is P/F and school rank + research opportunities will be weighed more (both of which I hear are not Netter SOM's strong points)?
ACKjp
Full Member
Honestly no one knows, but match day is just around the corner so we will see what happens soon (first match with p/f S1)! I will say, Netter has to be doing something right regardless of S1...looking at ortho they have matched at UCSF, Baylor, Beaumont, Tennessee, UPenn, UConn...I know next to nothing about this, so I apologize if this is a dumb question: are past match lists still reliable indicators for future match chances now that Step 1 is P/F and school rank + research opportunities will be weighed more (both of which I hear are not Netter SOM's strong points)?
I do wonder if it's advantageous to be interested in a competitive specialty while attending a primary care-focused school, because you will have less competition for research opportunities and mentoring in those specialties. Just a speculation
priority waitlist seems to be for those that were deferred decision.did they mention anything about a priority WL?
nervousguy26
New Member
anyone know what priority waitlist actually means? like how many are on it can you know your rank etc
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I accept the priority waitlist when I have an acceptance from another school?
Raspberry_skies
New Member
OOS II this morning, secondary submitted in the beginning of July
I'd say past match lists are even more important. The benefits of an alumni connection are huge. admissions is a risk averse process, nobody wants to hire a dud. strong alums can demonstrate the quality of a program and establish unofficial linkages. its nice to have one in the room when residencies are screening apps and deciding who to send interviews.I know next to nothing about this, so I apologize if this is a dumb question: are past match lists still reliable indicators for future match chances now that Step 1 is P/F and school rank + research opportunities will be weighed more (both of which I hear are not Netter SOM's strong points)?
brand recognition is still important, and the ivies/T10's seem to be pretty incestuous, so if your dream is IM at Mass General, don't pick netter over harvard.
Research may or may not matter for your specialty, most specialties have a range of research emphasis between "blue collar" or "community" programs that don't care to "ivory tower" or "academic" programs. You can hustle and get plenty of resume fluffery here if you want to.
I think the hype about step 1 p/f causing a change in residency selection was overblown, step 2 score will likely just replace it
Absolutely!Can I accept the priority waitlist when I have an acceptance from another school?
greatwhiteshark13
Full Member
Anyone interview in December and still waiting to hear back?
volecowboy
Full Member
I was like 12/10 or something and I haven't heard back yet.Anyone interview in December and still waiting to hear back?
I’m curious about the same thing. From looking at last years threads, deferred decision didn’t exist. I think it’s new this year.anyone know what priority waitlist actually means? like how many are on it can you know your rank etc
Priority WL just now, interviewed 11/15 deferred last month.
volecowboy
Full Member
it said priority in your email? I just got WL too 12/11 interview. OOS.Priority WL just now, interviewed 11/15 deferred last month.
Yeah when you’re deferred your options are priority WL or A and I got the former. Idk how it works for people that are placed on WL directly from interview.it said priority in your email? I just got WL too 12/11 interview. OOS.
volecowboy
Full Member
Best of luck!!Yeah when you’re deferred your options are priority WL or A and I got the former. Idk how it works for people that are placed on WL directly from interview.
You too!Best of luck!!
WL interviewed mid January
stressball90
Full Member
Do you think it’s a bad sign if we interviewed mid-january (1/17) and haven’t heard anything?
Not yet from what I can tell. They've been doing decision waves just about every Wednesday and are up to sometime in mid-Jan at this point. I'd keep your fingers crossed for next Wednesday. I interviewed 1/22 and am hoping for next Wednesday or the following.Do you think it’s a bad sign if we interviewed mid-january (1/17) and haven’t heard anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tacocatgoatcheesepizza
Full Member
Priority WL today, same interview date. Also deferred in January.Priority WL just now, interviewed 11/15 deferred last month.