2023-2024 Quinnipiac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Quinnipiac Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? If you are a re-applicant, please address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 words)

2. Why is it important to you to go into medicine and become a physician? (200 words)

3. What quality or attribute do you think is most important in being a physician? Please explain. (200 words)

4. As a medical student and future physician, you will be faced with many uncertain situations. Please describe a situation when you were asked to do something that was beyond your capabilities. How did you handle the situation? Please provide a specific example. (400 words)

5. Netter SOM is a diverse and inclusive community, and we believe that each person brings their own unique experiences and attributes. How have your experiences, personal/family background or personal identity impacted your values and attitudes in working with others who will be both similar and different from you? (400 words)

6. If applicable, please address any withdrawals, repeated courses, leaves of absence or breaks in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application.
(250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incoming M1 (as of now) ! Feel free to PM with questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
hey all, there's a number of current students who check this thread so ask away!

first piece of free advice, get your entire application done and turned in asap. the importance of timing cannot be overstated. if you're going to be neurotic and obsess over something in the coming months, being amcas complete and verified asap is a good use of your time. obviously everyone has different circumstances and blah blah blah, but in general done is better than "Perfect"

good luck and enjoy the process

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey all, there's a number of current students who check this thread so ask away!

first piece of free advice, get your entire application done and turned in asap. the importance of timing cannot be overstated. if you're going to be neurotic and obsess over something in the coming months, being amcas complete and verified asap is a good use of your time. obviously everyone has different circumstances and blah blah blah, but in general done is better than "Perfect"

does this include secondaries? im not sure really when the best time to begin writing is. still working on quality > speed for the primary

Hi!!!

I am working to build up my application to submit for next year's cycle. Netter is one of my top choices. I've read the mission and values of the school but have not had the chance to speak to an admissions representative or any students yet. What would you say is the school looking for most in its applicants? My MCAT and GPA are both competitive, but I am looking for community service/activities to boost my resume and fit what the Netter adcoms are looking for. Anything I should emphasize in secondaries or ideas to frame my essays/application around? Any advice is really appreciated :)

Hi!!!

I am working to build up my application to submit for next year's cycle. Netter is one of my top choices. I've read the mission and values of the school but have not had the chance to speak to an admissions representative or any students yet. What would you say is the school looking for most in its applicants? My MCAT and GPA are both competitive, but I am looking for community service/activities to boost my resume and fit what the Netter adcoms are looking for. Anything I should emphasize in secondaries or ideas to frame my essays/application around? Any advice is really appreciated :)
be a person, do things that you feel are meaningful, try to tie everything into a nice story arc.

Hi!!!

Exactly... don't do things to please an admissions committee. But you should be networking with recruiting events and meeting current students to know what the school has attracted to their program.

@PapaGuava - OOS Secondary received around 3:30. Surprised no one else posted... cheers

1. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student, how will you be spending/intend to spend your time during your application year? If you are a re-applicant, please address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 words)

2. Why is it important to you to go into medicine and become a physician? (200 words)

3. What quality or attribute do you think is most important in being a physician? Please explain. (200 words)

4. As a medical student and future physician, you will be faced with many uncertain situations. Please describe a situation when you were asked to do something that was beyond your capabilities. How did you handle the situation? Please provide a specific example. (400 words)

5. Netter SOM is a diverse and inclusive community, and we believe that each person brings their own unique experiences and attributes. How have your experiences, personal/family background or personal identity impacted your values and attitudes in working with others who will be both similar and different from you? (400 words)

6. If applicable, please address any withdrawals, repeated courses, leaves of absence or breaks in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application. (250 words)

Anyone like me did not receive OOS Sec yet?

Reactions: 10 users
does anyone have a take on how to answer why medicine AGAIN without repeating what's in your personal statement?

OOS Secondary received today

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 OOS secondary received.

I definitely need help though–I take casper this Sunday. Does this mean they won't review my app until the score is in? I didn't know that would be a thing...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 9.49.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 9.49.34 AM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 148

Hello friend! Thanks for offering your services. I just got my secondary this AM and I'm stressing about my casper score after reading the secondary invite. I take it this Sunday...did I shoot myself in the foot? I plan to turn my secondary around in a week...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 9.49.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 9.49.34 AM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 181
Hello friend! Thanks for offering your services. I just got my secondary this AM and I'm stressing about my casper score after reading the secondary invite. I take it this Sunday...did I shoot myself in the foot? I plan to turn my secondary around in a week...
also take it sunday, also would like to know if its worth submitting before i get casper results

How are people answering the 4th question about being asked to do something beyond your capabilities?

For the English/Writing courses it says, "If you are entering a course to fulfill the English/writing intensive requirement which is not taken through an English Department, please upload the syllabus or course description in the "Additional Information" section of your secondary application."

If I am including a course from my university's writing program department - should I include a course description? I'm not sure if its considered separate from the English Department.

How are people answering the 4th question about being asked to do something beyond your capabilities?
dude i struggled hella with this question to it's so wack.... but anyways I just wrote about my first research presentation/paper, how I didn't know how to do anything but my research mentor told me to go figure it out on my own

I received placement out of some coursework but I can't seem to find the "Additional Information" section for me to add the extra info they requested. Does anyone provide any guidance about this?

I just started a new job as an ophthalmic medical technician at a very busy clinic. Within my first three days, I had to learn very quickly, not truly having an onboarding process, so I can perform diagnostic tests and lead triages. However, that was conducive to helping me learn quickly and help me grow into a research technician

Current med student or those who just got in this past cycle, do you have to have a Casper score in order to be complete? I am a re-applicant and got my secondary today. I completed it and sent it in since I want to be early as possible but it says my application is incomplete as of right now (all my LORs are received and I take Casper tomorrow)

Current med student or those who just got in this past cycle, do you have to have a Casper score in order to be complete? I am a re-applicant and got my secondary today. I completed it and sent it in since I want to be early as possible but it says my application is incomplete as of right now (all my LORs are received and I take Casper tomorrow)
Am neither a med student or accepted applicant but, yes, you need a Casper score to be marked complete. Says so in their secondary invitation email

I received placement out of some coursework but I can't seem to find the "Additional Information" section for me to add the extra info they requested. Does anyone provide any guidance about this?

did anyone get back to you on this by any chance, and were you still able to get past the courses page without fulfilling the specific requirements?

did anyone get back to you on this by any chance, and were you still able to get past the courses page without fulfilling the specific requirements?
It says "If you have received placement out of a required course, but it is not listed on your transcript, please enter “AP” in the grade box and add some written information (university web site, course catalogue, syllabus, etc.) detailing the exemption to your secondary application in the “Document Upload” section."

For people who had pass/fail courses due to COVID that are only listed as 1 credit on AMCAS, did you write 1 credit for those courses? I won't technically have the right amount of credits due to this but I assume that's fine, right? The courses are just marked as 1 credit since they're P/F. And did you just write "P" for the grade?

Last edited:
Filling out pre-req requirements, and noticed that I need two courses of inorganic chemistry, which I've completed, but my school only offered one of those with the lab, not 2. Any suggestions, since they require 2 labs?

Submitting today a little after two weeks since receiving it, you guys think that’s an automatic L?

The app won't let me submit the secondary since I didn't take biochem. Any advice?

If you're a full-time student, do you put N/A for #1? Or answer what you will be doing throughout the application year?

Does anyone know how out of state/region friendly they are? Applying from the south. TIA

Quick question - in their secondary when it asks for grades from prereqs, am I allowed to use transcript grades if it was an A+ even though AMCAS only marks it as an A?

Quick question - in their secondary when it asks for grades from prereqs, am I allowed to use transcript grades if it was an A+ even though AMCAS only marks it as an A?
that's what I did. if it's what your transcript reads, I think its valid.

Anyone applying with an alcohol related IA? I’m not sure how to approach writing another 250 words for the question about being subjected to disciplinary actions by any college/university for something I explained in my primary without repeating myself.

Ok so basically I submitted my application 7/7, which is same day that I received it. However, I just noticed today that I never sent them my casper score, so I just paid to send that over today. Am I screwed? It says they highly recommend sending the application 2 weeks after receiving it, and it has been 3 weeks since I received it. Should I send an update saying I never noticed that I didn't send it? HELP ME

Relax. Don’t send an update.

Basically, I went on an emergency visit back to my home country for a few weeks because of a family emergency, and I was gone for all of July, so I could not take my Casper then. I have it scheduled for the 10th of August. How screwed am I? I literally could not do anything, and now I am freaking out.

hi!! if I'm a reapplicant, should i include both my gap year activities + steps i've taken to improve my application in my answer to #1, or just address the reapplicant part? thanks in advance!

hi!! if I'm a reapplicant, should i include both my gap year activities + steps i've taken to improve my application in my answer to #1, or just address the reapplicant part? thanks in advance!
I would do both!

For "Why is it important to you to go into medicine and become a physician? (200 words)" Should I just restate the key points of my ps?

For "Why is it important to you to go into medicine and become a physician? (200 words)" Should I just restate the key points of my ps?
elaborate and build on your story. bonus points if you can articulate your nascent "personal mission statement" and suggest how it overlaps with the schools