2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)

3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)

4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I love Rush, but I'm OOS. Do they favor in-state, even as a private school?

Tough secondary - the first and second questions are so similar!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough secondary - the first and second questions are so similar!
I would say the first question is more your ability to work with people different from you (and your attributes relevant to that) while the second question is what characteristics you would bring to the school.

I would say the first question is more your ability to work with people different from you (and your attributes relevant to that) while the second question is what characteristics you would bring to the school.

You're right, but for most other schools I have been using my numerous experiences working with people different as what I have to bring to the school! :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
You're right, but for most other schools I have been using my numerous experiences working with people different as what I have to bring to the school! :eek:

It may be time to start slightly afresh then. May not be a secondary you can copy into...:(

This is going to be a fun one to re-write :(

how do u guys already know the secondary?

Hasn't changed in several years. Look at the old threads on this site.

I love Rush, but I'm OOS. Do they favor in-state, even as a private school?
Wondering the same thing. I'm from Cali. Also, I transferred to a UC from a Community College. What is their view on CC prereqs?

I don't think Rush cares about OOS/IS. If there is a discrepancy its more likely related to people from Chicago/IL wanting to stay in the area and being more familiar with Rush.

Has anyone received a secondary yet?
(If yes, then please post the essays and the character limit)
Thanks!

Are these the secondary questions?

Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

(Regarding community service activities) Based on these experiences, please describe what you have learned through your involvement, the attributes you would bring to Rush Medical College, and the impact you would have on the greater Rush Community. (2000 characters)

Please describe your most significant achievement outside the classroom. (750 characters)

Describe your specific interest in Rush Medical College and what campus opportunities you would most look forward to as a student. (1000 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
SECONDARY ESSAYS

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)

3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)

4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Reactions: 1 users
Rushhhhhh why you change prompts noooooooo

very interesting indeed, from what I have seen on the FAQ page, "The 2016 entering class had a mean undergraduate science GPA of 3.6, a mean MCAT score of 32 (old MCAT) or 511 (MCAT15), approximately 1650 healthcare exposure hours as well as 1650 hours of community service experience."

1650 hours? wow

This is one of those secondaries that I have to save for the weekend.... why so many intense questions, Rush!?

Reactions: 2 users
According to their email, they screen applicants for 150 or more hours of community service and 150 hours or more of healthcare exposure. If we have less than that, should we not even consider filling out their secondary?

According to their email, they screen applicants for 150 or more hours of community service and 150 hours or more of healthcare exposure. If we have less than that, should we not even consider filling out their secondary?

I wouldn't. They sent email rejections at the tail end of the interview season last year, for that reason.

I wouldn't. Spend that $100 at another school.

TBH I wouldn't bother unless you have significantly more than that. That's like schools that screen for 3.0 and 25 - doesn't mean it is really enough to get in.

About the 150plus screening for both service and exposure, does anyone know if they count the hours you have forecasted for the year on AMCAS?

For those who have begun their secondary, do they require that you list your service a second time in addition what is already listed on the primary?

Nearly every one of my leadership activities listed in my primaries included volunteering but because I was an officer in those orgs I felt I should list it accordingly. Does anyone know if Rush gives another opportunity in their secondary to account for volunteering hours? Not verified yet (should be next week) and haven't received the secondary yet.

Edit: I should add that in the descriptions I do discuss the volunteer aspects.

Nearly every one of my leadership activities listed in my primaries included volunteering but because I was an officer in those orgs I felt I should list it accordingly. Does anyone know if Rush gives another opportunity in their secondary to account for volunteering hours? Not verified yet (should be next week) and haven't received the secondary yet.

I have this same problem... I am hoping they give apps a pretty thorough review to check for this, but not sure.

About the 150plus screening for both service and exposure, does anyone know if they count the hours you have forecasted for the year on AMCAS?

For those who have begun their secondary, do they require that you list your service a second time in addition what is already listed on the primary?
I emailed admissions yesterday and they replied that the hour requirement is a hard rule.

Thank you for your email and interest in Rush Medical College. Unfortunately, if you do not have 150 hours of community service at the time of submission, your application will not be reviewed by the Committee. Additionally, we cannot accept application updates once an application has been submitted, therefore I would encourage you to wait until you have reached at least 150 hours of community service, before submitting your secondary application.

There doesn't seem to be a place in the secondary to specifically list which activities you count as community service, which as clinical exposure... I think they are just going off of how each activity is primarily categorized on AMCAS.

I emailed admissions yesterday and they replied that the hour requirement is a hard rule.
I wonder if you can double count the hours, so like if I volunteer at a hospital, does that count towards both the community service and clinical exposure hours?

I wonder if you can double count the hours, so like if I volunteer at a hospital, does that count towards both the community service and clinical exposure hours?
I wouldn't really call volunteering at a hospital clinical exposure, at least not the kind they are looking for. Definitely community service hours though!

Thank you. I'm concerned about the hard line on clinical exposure hours, but perhaps I should assume the same.

Thank you. I'm concerned about the hard line on clinical exposure hours, but perhaps I should assume the same.
Hospital volunteering definitely comes under clinical or medical volunteering, it does not come under non-clinical volunteering .

I wouldn't really call volunteering at a hospital clinical exposure, at least not the kind they are looking for. Definitely community service hours though!
That is not true. It depends what @blacksweater really did! If they sorted papers, it would be a stretch to call clinical volunteering (but still could). If it was volunteering in the ER or going door to door providing blankets or something, that counts!

That is not true. It depends what @blacksweater really did! If they sorted papers, it would be a stretch to call clinical volunteering (but still could). If it was volunteering in the ER or going door to door providing blankets or something, that counts!
I did a mix of both at different hospitals, but not sure if I have enough community service hours. Doesn't all volunteer hours serve as community service, and since most of my hours are healthcare exposure, I was wondering if I can double count my hours, so my hospital hours would count as both community service and healthcare? So technically I only need 150 hours to pass the screen?

I did a mix of both at different hospitals, but not sure if I have enough community service hours. Doesn't all volunteer hours serve as community service, and since most of my hours are healthcare exposure, I was wondering if I can double count my hours, so my hospital hours would count as both community service and healthcare? So technically I only need 150 hours to pass the screen?

Something to ask the admissions office. No one here will know the real answer to that unless they too have asked the office. It would be smart to confirm your personal situation.

If it's for this particular college your best bet is to talk to them and see. In general I remember reading that you should not double count hours but to put them under the category that best fits. Again you should be asking sdn advisors about this. But yes you want to use your hours the most favorable way. Hope it works out for you !

What are you guys writing for:
Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)

Having a difficult time with this.

Reactions: 2 users
Does shadowing count as clinical exposure? I also put volunteering as a tutor under tutoring/teaching instead of community service so I hope they look through the descriptions before making a decision on the total hours.

In case anyone wants to know, I emailed the admission office, and they told me hours cannot be double counted. So basically, for those who have only worked in a hospital environment, you will need a total of 300 hours to pass the screen.

anyone know what to write about for the 2nd essay question. Been stuck on it for days now...

Yeah it was tough. I ended up taking the meaning of directive as "advice or instructions" that I did not agree with and went off with that. So I talked about a situation where someone instructed me to do something that I disagreed with and then how I approached that situation.

Hospital volunteering definitely comes under clinical or medical volunteering, it does not come under non-clinical volunteering .

I think you must have been meaning to quote something else. But indeed it does.

I think you must have been meaning to quote something else. But indeed it does.
Not really , I meant to say what I said, someone had a question on hospital volunteering sometime back .

I am not sure what you are saying though ..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.31.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.31.58 AM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Ok ok... $2.50 is not very much money especially amongst the loads I am spending on apps... but Rush, you seriously have a convenience fee on top of $100!? :eek: