You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Where did you find the information that you need 150 hours of each? I can't seem to find it on their site.I emailed admissions yesterday and they replied that the hour requirement is a hard rule.
Where did you find this information? Was it emailed along with secondary information?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was in the email with the secondary application information.Where did you find the information that you need 150 hours of each? I can't seem to find it on their site.
Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
I absolutely love Rush Medical College. I went to visit and fell in love! But I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply because of the 150 hours requirements. Does anyone know if they look through our application to count the hours or if they just go by the titles. I have one of my community service experiences listed under tutoring/teaching because I volunteered as a tutor to teach math and sciences to disadvantaged high school students. Would they not count that because it's listed under tutoring instead of community service?
Any input would help. Thanks.
Any input would help. Thanks.
I absolutely love Rush Medical College. I went to visit and fell in love! But I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply because of the 150 hours requirements. Does anyone know if they look through our application to count the hours or if they just go by the titles. I have one of my community service experiences listed under tutoring/teaching because I volunteered as a tutor to teach math and sciences to disadvantaged high school students. Would they not count that because it's listed under tutoring instead of community service?
Any input would help. Thanks.
That may be a question better suited for their admissions office.
Do you guys think that a letter from a community service activity is essential since the school is large on community service? I've had significant experiences with my community service but I've only dedicated about 150 hours to each activity and I have no letter from any of them because most of my work was with my peers and with no physician/adviser. Would appreciate any feedback!
I absolutely love Rush Medical College. I went to visit and fell in love! But I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply because of the 150 hours requirements. Does anyone know if they look through our application to count the hours or if they just go by the titles. I have one of my community service experiences listed under tutoring/teaching because I volunteered as a tutor to teach math and sciences to disadvantaged high school students. Would they not count that because it's listed under tutoring instead of community service?
Any input would help. Thanks.
I also volunteered as a tutor for a high school student and was wondering the same thing. Were you able to receive any clarification from their admissions office?
Yes, it is emailed with login materials for the secondary.Where did you find this information? Was it emailed along with secondary information?
Reading through last year's applicant thread, though long, was useful to me.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-2016-rush-medical-college-application-thread.1135554/
Hi, I am going to be an M1 at Rush next year, more like in 2 weeks, and I used these forums to help me get through the process. I got accepted into Rush without a letter from a community service representative. I only had letters from faculty and research directors. I would not worry about it.Do you guys think that a letter from a community service activity is essential since the school is large on community service? I've had significant experiences with my community service but I've only dedicated about 150 hours to each activity and I have no letter from any of them because most of my work was with my peers and with no physician/adviser. Would appreciate any feedback!
Rush - why must you ask such hard questions but with such tiny character limits?! I pretty much have essays written on most of these topics but they are like triple the length...
I also volunteered as a tutor for a high school student and was wondering the same thing. Were you able to receive any clarification from their admissions office?
I emailed them about this same issue today. Still waiting for a response.
I took a broad view and wrote about the summer the dickhead boss at my summer job (note, I did not call him a dickhead in-app 🙂 ) kept changing the schedule on such short notice to the point where no-one reliable knew their schedule more than a couple days in advance.What are you guys writing for:
Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
Having a difficult time with this.
for the 150 service and 150 clinical hours requirements, do they count this based on our amcas list of activities?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I absolutely love Rush Medical College. I went to visit and fell in love! But I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply because of the 150 hours requirements. Does anyone know if they look through our application to count the hours or if they just go by the titles. I have one of my community service experiences listed under tutoring/teaching because I volunteered as a tutor to teach math and sciences to disadvantaged high school students. Would they not count that because it's listed under tutoring instead of community service?
Any input would help. Thanks.
for the 150 service and 150 clinical hours requirements, do they count this based on our amcas list of activities?
According to admissions, they'll be using the AMCAS activities for the community service screen. If you did not label the activity with a community service "Experience Type," they will check to see if you indicate that you volunteered/weren't paid in the activity description. I'm sure they'll do a similar thing for clinical hours.
Last edited:
Did anyone use 2 professors for their letters of rec? I'm confused about a personal vs. non-academic letter. I have 5 letters from professors (some who know me better than others) and one employer of the past two years.
I would think that as long as the recommendation shows that they know you personally or academically that it should suffice. Then again... I wouldn't assume anything. Oye.
Only have 100 hours of healthcare exposure. Have 200+ hours community though. Should I even bother with a secondary?
Only have 100 hours of healthcare exposure. Have 200+ hours community though. Should I even bother with a secondary?
Last cycle they sent out rejection notices at the end of the cycle citing the requirement. And their average matriculant has far more hours than the minimum requirement. In my opinion, it is probably not worth it... however, your mileage may vary.
No, it sounds like you don't meet the minimums. You could start a volunteer position and dedicate a few nights per week in the hospital. >10 hours per week would put you in contention with that 100 hour mark by late September, reasonable timeframe. How badly do you want to attend?Only have 100 hours of healthcare exposure. Have 200+ hours community though. Should I even bother with a secondary?
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet?
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet?
No interview invitation yet for me.
Re: the 150 hours limits (sry I'm late to this discussion...)
One of the admissions staff did a presentation for my graduate program about applying to Rush. She said the volunteer/clinical hours were to screen applicants who may have had some clinical exposure/volunteer work early, then/or waited until a year-ish before application time to cram in a bunch of hours (she specifically said they don't want to see a gap in the middle). They're looking for applicants that have shown a consistent 1. dedication to serving others and 2. interest in the medical field.
Reading between the lines I took this to mean they are looking for the super-dedicated-right-out-of-undergrad pre-meds who had their s*** together from the start, and the career changers -- EMTs or NCTs/nurses who can report thousands of hours for 'clinical exposure' and also volunteer.
Take this how you will, as it was my own experience during an admissions presentation, but like a previous poster said, applying with barely above 150 hours when the average is so high could be like applying with a GPA barely above a 3.0 screen...just looking out for your wallets!
One of the admissions staff did a presentation for my graduate program about applying to Rush. She said the volunteer/clinical hours were to screen applicants who may have had some clinical exposure/volunteer work early, then/or waited until a year-ish before application time to cram in a bunch of hours (she specifically said they don't want to see a gap in the middle). They're looking for applicants that have shown a consistent 1. dedication to serving others and 2. interest in the medical field.
Reading between the lines I took this to mean they are looking for the super-dedicated-right-out-of-undergrad pre-meds who had their s*** together from the start, and the career changers -- EMTs or NCTs/nurses who can report thousands of hours for 'clinical exposure' and also volunteer.
Take this how you will, as it was my own experience during an admissions presentation, but like a previous poster said, applying with barely above 150 hours when the average is so high could be like applying with a GPA barely above a 3.0 screen...just looking out for your wallets!
Any II for Rush yet? I'm on the low end of acceptable applicants for GPA/Scores but higher end for EC's. Wondering if they are being slow to say no as it has been a month since I was complete.
Congrats! Stats/Completion Date/URM?II!!
Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know! 🙂II!!
Thanks for the details! It sounds like I may not get an II, but it's better to know than to not. We were complete the same day, and your stats are awesome! Congratulations! Rush is an incredible school if you haven't been on campus yet, and Chicago is amazing (in my humble opinion).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's still super early! I was complete slightly before, and I am not losing hope yet! You still may get a II!Thanks for the details! It sounds like I may not get an II, but it's better to know than to not. We were complete the same day, and your stats are awesome! Congratulations! Rush is an incredible school if you haven't been on campus yet, and Chicago is amazing (in my humble opinion).
It's still super early! I was complete slightly before, and I am not losing hope yet! You still may get a II!
I've known people to be complete in July and get interviews in January at various schools. It can happen. It's just the nature of the process.
That's true! I think I keep getting a little easily discouraged. I am hoping to stay in Chicago for my husband's sake since he loves his job downtown. There is plenty of time, and hopefully shadowing a physician at Rush since 2013 will actually help! Thanks for the encouragement!
Good luck to everyone, I'd love to take a trip to Chicago before the winter...
Last edited:
Just received an II! Complete 7/20, cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 513
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing if you have at least 1000 hours of clinical and non-clinical work/volunteering?
I had 960 hours of non-clinal volunteering– does that put me out of the running? Asking for a friend.
I had 960 hours of non-clinal volunteering– does that put me out of the running? Asking for a friend.
Yep, tell your friend it's Caribbean time.
Nothing better than steel drums all day, mon.Yep, tell your friend it's Caribbean time.
As an M1 right now at Rush, just to be clear, the school looks for you to have 150 hours of volunteering in non-clinical and 150 hours in clinical. I only had about 350 hours total. I don't know where this 1000 hours number came, but 960 is plenty enough.
Thanks! I only asked because the averages on Rush's website was something like 1600 hours so I was just curious 🙂 But good to know and congrats!As an M1 right now at Rush, just to be clear, the school looks for you to have 150 hours of volunteering in non-clinical and 150 hours in clinical. I only had about 350 hours total. I don't know where this 1000 hours number came, but 960 is plenty enough.
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing if you have at least 1000 hours of clinical and non-clinical work/volunteering?
I have around 300 hours of clinically-related volunteering as well as 75 hours of shadowing experience. I also have been working full-time as a Clinical Research Assistant for the past year.
I have around 300 hours of clinically-related volunteering as well as 75 hours of shadowing experience. I also have been working full-time as a Clinical Research Assistant for the past year.
Awesome. Thanks much and good luck with your interview!!
HOLY M************ II!!!!!!!!!! First one!!!!!
Stats in my signature!!!!
Stats in my signature!!!!
Congrats!!!!HOLY M************ II!!!!!!!!!! First one!!!!!
Stats in my signature!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HOLY M************ II!!!!!!!!!! First one!!!!!
Stats in my signature!!!!
Congrats! When did you submit?
I was complete on 7/27!Congrats! When did you submit?
Congrats man!!! Told you that you would snag one!!HOLY M************ II!!!!!!!!!! First one!!!!!
Stats in my signature!!!!
Pulling for you too bud!!!! Hopefully I see you at one of these 🙂Congrats man!!! Told you that you would snag one!!
Congratulations!I was complete on 7/27!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K