2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Silence since mid-July o.o

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II!! LizzyM ~72, little research. This is such a huge surprise I'm freaking out!!!!

Edit: Although only 2/1 was open, probably an interview to waitlist right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They still have openings. According to Arturo this past Friday, they are only halfway through the interview season.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They still have openings. According to Arturo this past Friday, they are only halfway through the interview season.

So even end of January/early Feb interviews are being used to fill in the class? No interviews to waitlist?

Any updates on when the first batch of decisions may be released? Thanks!

you have no idea how happy you've made me (perhaps foolishly on my part, but still)

Rejected pre-II this morning. Not a shock but still disappointing!

Rejected pre-II today. Complete late July, LM way below Stanford average and no research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are OOS interviewers getting to Palo Alto? Flying to SFO and renting a car?

@ChrisMack390 its cheaper to fly to oakland and/or sj. renting a car is probably the best way to go as palo alto isn't accessible by bart

@ChrisMack390 its cheaper to fly to oakland and/or sj. renting a car is probably the best way to go as palo alto isn't accessible by bart

I got a 300 dollar round trip flight from Boston to SF. I highly doubt I could have gotten a cheaper flight to Oakland or San Jose.

I got a 300 dollar round trip flight from Boston to SF. I highly doubt I could have gotten a cheaper flight to Oakland or San Jose.
Lol k. Born and bred Bay Area native so I was just trying to be helpful as it's always been my experience that SJ and Oakland are cheaper to fly in and out of. Glad you got a good price.

Looks like a couple of us will be here on 2/1. Does anyone know if it's the last interview date?

I'm pretty stoked its an MMI only interview as well. At least that's what it appears to be on msar?

When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)

When they make decisions on who they're accepting, do they make a re-review of the apps holistically and focus on stats/EC's and all that? Or is it that once someone is interviewed the stats/Ec's/PS/Recs are good enough so they mainly factor in MMI performance. If someone has low stats but did very well on the MMI, might they not accept him because his stats are low? (But if that's the case why would they have even bothered sending him/her an II and wasting the time and money when they deny many "more qualified" applicants?)

Also interested in knowing this. Since Stanford does have relatively low II, I'm wondering if low stats with an II is indicative that the MMI and fit are the most important post interview?

Also interested in knowing this. Since Stanford does have relatively low II, I'm wondering if low stats with an II is indicative that the MMI and fit are the most important post interview?

Great question cause my stats are low lol

Great question cause my stats are low lol

Lol likewise, Interviewed with LM 70. Thought I did well on the MMI, so I have no idea what to expect.

All of the adcom members on this site say that gpa/MCAT are still top considerations post interview. Also, aamc released a composite of survey answerss given by adcoms all over the country and it lines up with gpa/MCAT being the most important factors post interview.

That being said, all schools have independent procedures and it's anyone's guess what Stanford in particular does. FWIW,I know a few people who had low gpas (but decent/high MCAT scores) who now attend.

That's why you transfer from the BART to Caltrain at Millbrae station. Caltrain will take you right to Palo Alto. From there, the Stanford buses take you to campus. Or you could Uber from there too - it's not far.

All of the adcom members on this site say that gpa/MCAT are still top considerations post interview. Also, aamc released a composite of survey answerss given by adcoms all over the country and it lines up with gpa/MCAT being the most important factors post interview.

That being said, all schools have independent procedures and it's anyone's guess what Stanford in particular does. FWIW,I know a few people who had low gpas (but decent/high MCAT scores) who now attend.

Honestly, even though I know it is probably true, that makes very little sense to me. If GPA/MCAT are most important, why are you interviewing me in the first place just to most likely reject me after regardless of how well I do on the MMI? My MCAT is below their 10th percentile and my GPA is a little under avg. Many of my friends had great EC's/Recs (honestly I thought better than mine) with LM>75 and got rejected. Why not interview them instead

That's why you transfer from the BART to Caltrain at Millbrae station. Caltrain will take you right to Palo Alto. From there, the Stanford buses take you to campus. Or you could Uber from there too - it's not far.
Lol thanks. You're absolutely right. I'm strictly an SF to/from east bay kid so I wasn't really thinking of Caltrain. It would also be a lot cheaper, quicker and convienent to do the Caltrain route over renting a car.

Honestly, even though I know it is probably true, that makes very little sense to me. If GPA/MCAT are most important, why are you interviewing me in the first place just to most likely reject me after regardless of how well I do on the MMI? My MCAT is below their 10th percentile and my GPA is a little under avg. Many of my friends had great EC's/Recs (honestly I thought better than mine) with LM>75 and got rejected. Why not interview them instead
Well obviously your gpa/MCAT are acceptable to them if they offered you an interview. I've heard it put this way: high stats/all around winners get interviews to make sure they match up with their application and aren't nuts. Whereas lower stat people catch a reviewers eye for other reasons and get invited to an interview to see if they can overshadow their stats. So their stats never leave consideration but they can still get in even so. Like I said, I know those with low gpas (one with a 30 MCAT) who attend currently. They got in somehow!

Any updates from anyone (people who recently interviewed, called, etc.) on when we might hear? Will there be a batch of decisions in January?

does anyone know if note taking is allowed for the MMIs?

Unfortunately we aren't allowed to discuss the MMI. However, they will give you all the information you need to know before you do the MMI during your interview day.

Any updates from anyone (people who recently interviewed, called, etc.) on when we might hear? Will there be a batch of decisions in January?
I interviewed earlier this month and they said we would hear around late February.

I interviewed earlier this month and they said we would hear around late February.

Thank you!! Did they mention whether there would be several batches of decisions?

Thank you!! Did they mention whether there would be several batches of decisions?
No they didn't mention. how did we even come to the late january date? were the earlier interviewers told that? (I imagine there will be several batches of decisions because I think interviews will be scheduled past late feb.)

No they didn't mention. how did we even come to the late january date? were the earlier interviewers told that? (I imagine there will be several batches of decisions because I think interviews will be scheduled past late feb.)

When I interviewed early November, Arturo told us that we should hear back mid-January. Also, the website reads: "January to March: Offers of admission are sent out on three release dates"

But who knows if they've changed their minds since then.

When I interviewed early November, Arturo told us that we should hear back mid-January. Also, the website reads: "January to March: Offers of admission are sent out on three release dates"

But who knows if they've changed their minds since then.
ok!! cool! maybe the three dates are mid jan, late feb, and mid march? haha I don't know. :) :) at least they are still giving II out which is always good!

ok!! cool! maybe the three dates are mid jan, late feb, and mid march? haha I don't know. :) :) at least they are still giving II out which is always good!

I hope so! I also interviewed early Nov, and heard mid-jan from Arturo. Some recent posts on this thread suggest that they may only release decisions in 1-2 batches though :oops:
The wait is killing me, but I guess the decisions will come out whenever they do... haha! Yikes...

Last edited:
II this week! I think I cried. Only date was 2/1.... if any other 2/1'ers wanna carpool or take the train, lmk!

Flying in to SFO most likely so joint travelers could meet there if our arrival times overlap.

Flying in to SFO most likely so joint travelers could meet there if our arrival times overlap.
Did you find a housing situation? I filled out the hosting request form but haven't heard anything back yet.

Hello! I was wondering when I would find out if I am in the earlier/later interview group - anyone who has already interviewed have any insight? Also, when admissions say they want interviewees to arrive the night before, what time do these activities start/end? Thank you!

Hi,
Congrats on the interview!

I received an email approximately 10 days before my interview with all the information, including which group you will be assigned to for interviewing and a timeline. As for the social the night before, for my interview group the social began at 7pm, I don't know if this is true for all the socials or if it's variable.

Hope this helps--good luck!