2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I was wondering when I would find out if I am in the earlier/later interview group - anyone who has already interviewed have any insight? Also, when admissions say they want interviewees to arrive the night before, what time do these activities start/end? Thank you!

Hi Tenerifesea,

About 2 weeks prior to my interview, I received an email from admissions with my interview schedule and group number.

I think either the portal or the attachment that admissions sends will tell you when the social event will begin.
The night before my interview, there was incidentally the election watch party, so our event was moved to 5:30 pm. I think the typical events usually start around 7 pm though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Good luck during all your interviews! Not sure if this has been asked yet, but is there a particular reason why Stanford interviews a smaller amount of candidates than other schools? I assume that it is because of their smaller class size.
I'm also wondering if because they interview smaller amounts of people, they are also more rigorous in their evaluation of who to interview. If that is the case, does it mean generally everyone has a better chance for admissions than schools with more interviewers, but it now more depends on "fit"?

Hi everyone,

Good luck during all your interviews! Not sure if this has been asked yet, but is there a particular reason why Stanford interviews a smaller amount of candidates than other schools? I assume that it is because of their smaller class size.
I'm also wondering if because they interview smaller amounts of people, they are also more rigorous in their evaluation of who to interview. If that is the case, does it mean generally everyone has a better chance for admissions than schools with more interviewers, but it now more depends on "fit"?

Per info I heard at my interview date:
The class size is only 90 people, so yes they interview a smaller size because there are relatively few seats to fill.
They are very rigorous in who they interview (they said that they interview about 500 people and the applicant pool is somewhere around 7,500, so somewhere around 6-7% of applicants are interviewed), but they are also very rigorous in who they accept. They obviously accept over 90 people as some people will reject the offer, although this number is not public knowledge. So if you estimate that they accept around 100 people after interviewing 500, post-interview you still only have about a 20% chance of acceptance. Which is pretty low compared to many other schools' post-interview acceptance rate.
As previously being discussed in this thread, I got the impression that post-interview they conduct a wholistic review of your application again, how including your scores from your interview and your primary/secondary app and GPA/MCAT, and then decide based on that if they will accept/waitlist/reject. So, I personally wouldn't guess that it is just "fit" that they are looking at at that point, but your entire app as a whole.
Hope that makes sense! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They are very rigorous in who they interview (they said that they interview about 500 people and the applicant pool is somewhere around 7,500, so somewhere around 6-7% of applicants are interviewed), but they are also very rigorous in who they accept. They obviously accept over 90 people as some people will reject the offer, although this number is not public knowledge. So if you estimate that they accept around 100 people after interviewing 500, post-interview you still only have about a 20% chance of acceptance. Which is pretty low compared to many other schools' post-interview acceptance rate.

I understand that your numbers are meant only to make a point, but accepting 100 people for a class of 90 people isn't too realistic. Having an acceptee:matriculant ratio of 2:1 is about right. The top schools compete for many of the same people and so one would expect these people to be just as likely to choose some of those good schools out East. Accepting about 180 for a class of 90 is about typical for a school of this caliber and you can see that here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-2016-stanford-university-application-thread.1134900/.

I understand that your numbers are meant only to make a point, but accepting 100 people for a class of 90 people isn't too realistic. Having an acceptee:matriculant ratio of 2:1 is about right. The top schools compete for many of the same people and so one would expect these people to be just as likely to choose some of those good schools out East. Accepting about 180 for a class of 90 is about typical for a school of this caliber and you can see that here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-2016-stanford-university-application-thread.1134900/.
Sure enough, thanks! That's after people are accepted off the waitlist too, right? So I guess I was thinking straight-up accepted post-interview numbers. But an acceptance is an acceptance!

Just called admissions! They said the earlier interview dates (Oct-Nov) can expect to hear very soon... by end of Jan! Ahhhh!!! :eek: I wanted to know so badly, but now I'm not so sure... I don't want the Stanford dream to die... haha!

Contrary to what seems to be suggested in other posts on this thread, admissions said they do not anticipate releasing decisions on only one date. He hinted at a late-Feb and March decision release as well.

Ahh, good luck everyone! It will be difficult to try to stay busy these next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 6 users
Just called admissions! They said the earlier interview dates (Oct-Nov) can expect to hear very soon... by end of Jan! Ahhhh!!! :eek: I wanted to know so badly, but now I'm not so sure... I don't want the Stanford dream to die... haha!

Contrary to what seems to be suggested in other posts on this thread, admissions said they do not anticipate releasing decisions on only one date. He hinted at a late-Feb and March decision release as well.

Ahh, good luck everyone! It will be difficult to try to stay busy these next couple of weeks.

That's so great to hear! Did you happen to ask how we will receive decisions? Email, mail, phone call?

omg!! that's so soon! I hope you get in! you want it so bad! :) :) (thanks for calling)

Reactions: 1 users
That's so great to hear! Did you happen to ask how we will receive decisions? Email, mail, phone call?

Ah, that would have been a good question to ask! I did not ask, but it looks like @Darkkprince has our backs :)

omg!! that's so soon! I hope you get in! you want it so bad! :) :) (thanks for calling)

Ahh, thank you so much-- I am rooting for you too!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
How important and/or how regarded are letters of intent for Stanford?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call! Beyond excited and thankful. Best of luck to all of you as well!!

Interviewed 10/13. Non-trad, international, LizzyM ~78.

Reactions: 3 users
Any guesses as to whether all of the calls went out tonight?

Sorry for asking so many questions! For those who received the call, was the phone number of the caller the Stanford admissions number? I missed a California call two hours ago, but it does not match up with admissions

Sorry for asking so many questions! For those who received the call, was the phone number the Stanford admissions number? I missed a California call two hours ago, but it does not match up with admissions

I'm very confused, as I double checked when I answered your question previously, and they specifically stated they would contact through email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Will they contact us even if we are not accepted? I interviewed 12/08, and we were informed that we would hear in mid-late Jan. I assume that "hear back" means that we get some sort of update, even if that update is not an acceptance?

Will they contact us even if we are not accepted? I interviewed 12/08, and we were informed that we would hear in mid-late Jan. I assume that "hear back" means that we get some sort of update, even if that update is not an acceptance?

I called last week and talked to an admissions officer. Apparently the cut-off to hear back in January was sometime in mid-December, so it might be a while longer yet. I interviewed after December 10, and he was pretty certain I wouldn't hear back this month.

I called last week and talked to an admissions officer. Apparently the cut-off to hear back in January was sometime in mid-December, so it might be a while longer yet. I interviewed after December 10, and he was pretty certain I wouldn't hear back this month.
Thanks for the reply, and good luck! I hope that Dec 8 wasn't early enough lol... then I can maintain hope.

Did anyone who interviewed Dec 10 get a call last night?

It looks like only october people have heard back so far (can anyone confirm that?). so I don't think the rest of us should worry yet! there are still quite a few days left in january. also, at my interview-- i remember them saying that they will definitely email us regarding our status, but that the dean likes to call the lucky ones as well! i'd be surprised if people who got the call yesterday don't get their acceptance email sometime next week.... :)

I was Dec 10 actually (MSTP interviews started 8th, so I misremembered MD interview Date), and I have not received any info... I too am interested to hear if anyone from our date has heard, I believe I remember the admissions guy saying that we would hear in Jan, but perhaps we are pushed to Feb?

I interviewed in October and have not been notified whatsoever by the admissions office. Anybody in the same boat?

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed in October, just got a call!

It looks like only october people have heard back so far (can anyone confirm that?). so I don't think the rest of us should worry yet! there are still quite a few days left in january. also, at my interview-- i remember them saying that they will definitely email us regarding our status, but that the dean likes to call the lucky ones as well! i'd be surprised if people who got the call yesterday don't get their acceptance email sometime next week.... :)

By "the lucky ones," do you know if that means everyone who's accepted? Or just a random selection of those who are accepted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in the call they said they would send snail mail--I'm not sure if they send out emails

I'm very confused, as I double checked when I answered your question previously, and they specifically stated they would contact through email.

Looks like what they told you isn't what they ended up doing. No email - only phone call so far. They said in the phone call that they called to show the level of personalized attention you get at Stanford.

So they are making calls today too? This is so stressful.

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like what they told you isn't what they ended up doing. No email - only phone call so far. They said in the phone call that they called to show the level of personalized attention you get at Stanford.
ok thanks!

Sooo, if I interviewed on one of the first dates in early October and didn't get a call, should I start being sad now, or..?

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed in December, and received the call this weekend! I'm floored!!!!

Congrats! I wonder if this means they are done calling until the end of February now...

Congrats! Did you interview in the first half on the month?

Congrats! Did you interview before December 11th?

And those that interviewed in Dec and have been accepted, when did you interview?

Sooo, if I interviewed on one of the first dates in early October and didn't get a call, should I start being sad now, or..?

Anyone have any insight ? Are they going in chronological order in one round or will they cycle through again ? :cyclops:

Reactions: 2 users