2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when decisions are going to start being released?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Speaking of that.... Anyone else a little irritated with how much emphasis is placed on research for MD programs? If it's mainly research we want to do, we'd get a PhD or apply to an MD-PhD program. I understand that a basic understanding of how scientific research is conducted is important, but to go from that to expecting publications, is a little much imo.

I mean Stanford explicitly states that they want to train physician scientists, who are leaders in medicine and pioneers in their field. Really not many other MD schools out there are not as focused on research as Stanford- it seemed like a very significant reason why many students want to attend, as they really identify with that mission.

I mean Stanford explicitly states that they want to train physician scientists, who are leaders in medicine and pioneers in their field. Really not many other MD schools out there are not as focused on research as Stanford- it seemed like a very significant reason why many students want to attend, as they really identify with that mission.

I get that and it's one of the reasons why I applied. I want to do research in med schools, about topics I care deeply about. I'm just saying that the kind of research you do in undergrad, with all the dishwashing, autoclaving and all the other kinds of bitchwork, is not very similar to the kind of research you do in med school, or so I hope. And just because you did research in undergrad and got published doesn't mean you're gonna be a good doctor or a good physician scientist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I get that and it's one of the reasons why I applied. I want to do research in med schools, about topics I care deeply about. I'm just saying that the kind of research you do in undergrad, with all the dishwashing, autoclaving and all the other kinds of bitchwork, is not very similar to the kind of research you do in med school, or so I hope. And just because you did research in undergrad and got published doesn't mean you're gonna be a good doctor or a good physician scientist.
Who....Who hurt you?! :'(

Reactions: 2 users
Who....Who hurt you?! :'(

It's a long list my friend lol. It's common knowledge at my undergrad institution that undergrad research = unpaid bitchwork. It was the same for me. Only a lucky few got a decent PI or grad student and a meaningful project.

Anybody remember when they said acceptance decisions come out?

Anybody remember when they said acceptance decisions come out?
2 batches - though admissions said this may change to one batch
Mid -late January and March
Source - Arturo Herraro Stanford admissions at the interview wrap up

Does anyone have any ideas about how Stanford may view letter of intents post-interview? I want to pour my heart out and express how much I want to go here, but I don't want to annoy the adcoms.

Did anyone stay with a student host for their interview? If yes, could you share your experience? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
II on December 24th! Didn't actually check my email until today (how annoying is it that emails that go to "updates" don't send mobile notifications? I'm sure there's a way to fix it but hadn't so definitely had missed that email 2 days ago o_o ).

First available date was Jan 28th, day I'll be interviewing on.

Edit: Complete: July 23rd - yep, it's been a while

LizzyM: ~73, International Student, Non-trad

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted by UCSF and interviewed at Harvard, but Stanford didn't even invite me for an interview. Welp, sucks to suck haha.

I was accepted by UCSF and interviewed at Harvard, but Stanford didn't even invite me for an interview. Welp, sucks to suck haha.

Hi,

Congrats to you! That's great news. Just a reminder that some people have been applying to med school for years now and are dying for any kind of acceptance. So, I would be very grateful rather than mad that I didn't get an invite from Stanford. You not only are guaranteed to go to medschool next year, but also to one of the top in the nation! Good luck to you and everyone else this cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Also u r not a unique snowflake.
Lots of people are in your situation or a similar one.

Be grateful u got into UCSF and have prospects at great schools.

Don't facetiously express your lack of self-confidence because you didn't get an invite to Snodfart.

Reactions: 1 users
@curlyhairmd

Thank you and yes I am extremely grateful. Being a first generation student has definitely made the path difficult. Dreaming about becoming a doctor in high school was just as far fetched as dreaming about being a gold medal Olympian. Although, as human beings once you have something you will only keep wanting more because we are creatures who like the process of achieving a goal. Thus I know it is important to reflect back to that time in high school where going to any med school would have been a dream - yes I am grateful.

I am not mad and rarely do I ever feel any anger. I understand now that my post came off as arrogant. If anything I wanted to reassure people that they are others like them if they are in a similar boat with regards to any school. And the "sucks to suck" statement, well sometimes I just like saying that to make myself laugh. Good luck to you. I know you are a smart woman who will achieve her dreams.

@DogDays123

Well I would like to think that we are all unique, although I know I am not unique in the sense of the situation I am in; and in terms of the distance I have traveled - others have traveled far greater and are much smarter than me. I'm sure you are much smarter than me.

I am grateful as I stated above.

I shouldn't have posted my statement in a facetious manner but in terms of lacking self confidence? Well that is just an assumption you may be making or that I myself may not see consciously. Either way, it does not affect my confidence knowing that I may not have been smart enough to go to Stanford. Truth is, I may just have gotten into UCSF and interviewed at some other good schools just for the sake of being Latino and having traveled a distance to get to where I am today. As I have said, I'm sure you and @curlyhairmd are much smarter than me. Good luck to you.

That being said, I apologize for posting what I posted in such a facetious, arrogant manner. It did not demonstrate humility and it is that trait which I wish to encompass. Good luck to all of you and enough with the drama. We are here to support each other and help each other succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@curlyhairmd

Thank you and yes I am extremely grateful. Being a first generation student has definitely made the path difficult. Dreaming about becoming a doctor in high school was just as far fetched as dreaming about being a gold medal Olympian. Although, as human beings once you have something you will only keep wanting more because we are creatures who like the process of achieving a goal. Thus I know it is important to reflect back to that time in high school where going to any med school would have been a dream - yes I am grateful.

I am not mad and rarely do I ever feel any anger. I understand now that my post came off as arrogant. If anything I wanted to reassure people that they are others like them if they are in a similar boat with regards to any school. And the "sucks to suck" statement, well sometimes I just like saying that to make myself laugh. Good luck to you. I know you are a smart woman who will achieve her dreams.

@DogDays123

Well I would like to think that we are all unique, although I know I am not unique in the sense of the situation I am in; and in terms of the distance I have traveled - others have traveled far greater and are much smarter than me. I'm sure you are much smarter than me.

I am grateful as I stated above.

I shouldn't have posted my statement in a facetious manner but in terms of lacking self confidence? Well that is just an assumption you may be making or that I myself may not see consciously. Either way, it does not affect my confidence knowing that I may not have been smart enough to go to Stanford. Truth is, I may just have gotten into UCSF and interviewed at some other good schools just for the sake of being Latino and having traveled a distance to get to where I am today. As I have said, I'm sure you and @curlyhairmd much smarter than me. Good luck to you.

That being said, I apologize for posting what I posted in such a facetious, arrogant manner. It did not demonstrate humility and it is that trait which I wish to encompass. Good luck to all of you and enough with the drama. We are here to support each other and help each other succeed.

Thank you for this post! I'm sure one day we'll all get to save lives and make people's tomorrows a better day! :) happy new year!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected! Complete late August. This rejection really hit me, made me realize I really wanted to see Stanford lol

Rejected! Complete late August. This rejection really hit me, made me realize I really wanted to see Stanford lol

I'm sorry :( -- and you had to wait so long! I'm glad you have an acceptance, but this must still be tough news! good luck. :)

II just now! Only date available was Jan 30th for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Um. I got an interview?

The email came at like 9:30 today. I am still kind of in shock.

Reactions: 5 users
Got an interview invite over the weekend, I honestly cannot believe it. :0

If there are any current Stanford medical students, would it be possible if I could PM for an insight to the institution?

Finally, I was wondering if I could get some outside info on what makes Stanford a unique institution? I have some ideas already, but I wanted to hear more from others. Please let me know what you love about Stanford, what is unique? I am especially interested in learning from others their perspectives on the curriculum and culture?

I'd love to hear any feedback on the interview here. I know the MMI questions are confidential, of course, but more general comments could be helpful. For obvious reasons I am a bit intimidated by this interview.

I'd love to hear any feedback on the interview here. I know the MMI questions are confidential, of course, but more general comments could be helpful. For obvious reasons I am a bit intimidated by this interview.

For the MMIs, do you have to talk the entire time (8 minutes) in each station OR do they have follow-up questions as soon as you are done talking?

last question, my apologies!

Does anyone know how post-interview decisions are made? Are grades still taken into account or at this point, is it more about "fit"? The reason I ask is b/c my stats are lower in comparison to what is reported on MSAR

Does anyone remember when in January they said they might be releasing some decisions? Was it more toward the beginning or end?

They actually don't accept letters of intent until acceptances are sent out. I spent my whole Christmas break drafting this letter and was informed that they won't add it for the admissions committee :/
If anyone has somehow been abot to send that in, let a brother know!

They actually don't accept letters of intent until acceptances are sent out. I spent my whole Christmas break drafting this letter and was informed that they won't add it for the admissions committee :/

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wondering just in general, how effective letters of intent are to a place like Stanford?

+1

Ah, please please please Stanford! I love you.
This will be one long month.

Did they inform you regarding the LOI by phone or by email?

Hey peeps! Was in your shoes just last year, now a student. Wanted to chime in re. LOIs. Unless you have a significant update, I personally wouldn't bother. Look at it this way - they know you want to be accepted (you've gone through the application cycle and interviewing with them after all). So a LOI doesn't tell them much more than you've already given them in your application and interview. So unless you have an important update that you didn't get to bring up earlier, a LOI doesn't really tell them anything new. That and plenty of people send LOIs to multiple schools, so they don't really hold much weight anyways.

Wishing you guys the best of luck with the cycle! It's a long and hard journey, but it gets better :)

I would take this with a huge grain of salt, but I read on last year's thread that the calls went out on Thursday evenings in Jan.

Man, I really need to stay off SDN... maybe pick up one of those coloring books "for adults" haha! Good luck to everyone waiting-- we're almost there!

I would take this with a huge grain of salt, but I read on last year's thread that the calls went out on Thursday evenings in Jan.

Man, I really need to stay off SDN... maybe pick up one of those coloring books "for adults" haha! Good luck to everyone waiting-- we're almost there!
According to one of the adcom members, they won't be doing that this year. Instead, they'll relaease decisions one one or two dates.

Any clearer indication on what those dates will be?

Has anyone had any luck getting in contact with Admissions via email or phone in the last week?

Rejected pre-II this morning. Complete early August.

Last edited:
II!! LizzyM ~72, little research. This is such a huge surprise I'm freaking out!!!!

Edit: Although only 2/1 was open, probably an interview to waitlist right?

Last edited: