2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
same here. are y'all LizzyM <73? seems like stanford checks through highest stats first than the lower. that's probably why we haven't heard anything yet
I had an interview with a much lower LM and I'm an ORM so I don't think that that's the reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview with a much lower LM and I'm an ORM so I don't think that that's the reason.

i'm not saying we won't get interviews. i'm saying we were all complete around the same time so they probably just haven't gotten to us yet

I just spoke to a friend of mine who was recently rejected by stanford. we were both complete in mid/late july and had the exact same mcat. i don't think they are going in order-- otherwise I would be rejected by now surely...this process is strange.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Invited to interview! Complete ~8/15

Dates available are in January

Anyone know if Stanford does rolling admissions?

Invited to interview! Complete ~8/15

Dates available are in January

Anyone know if Stanford does rolling admissions?

Congrats! And nope, they told us this year they will announce decisions on three specific days

Congrats! And nope, they told us this year they will announce decisions on three specific days

Would you mind expounding? Did they say which three specific dates? It's interesting because I was told at mine that they would meet weekly and we would get phone calls on Thursday evenings.. I think I was also one of the earlier interview dates so perhaps they changed their mind? Thank you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Finally II !!! Complete in July. LizzyM 73

Two interview days left in January.

Would you mind expounding? Did they say which three specific dates? It's interesting because I was told at mine that they would meet weekly and we would get phone calls on Thursday evenings.. I think I was also one of the earlier interview dates so perhaps they changed their mind? Thank you! :)

I distinctly recall being told any time from November through the spring and that the admissions committee would be meeting sporadically and evaluating all applicants from the same MMI dates. And that once our MMI date was evaluated, we would know.

I distinctly recall being told any time from November through the spring and that the admissions committee would be meeting sporadically and evaluating all applicants from the same MMI dates. And that once our MMI date was evaluated, we would know.

http://med.stanford.edu/md-admissions/how-to-apply/timeline.html

"January to March: Offers of admission are sent out on three release dates"

Finally II !!! Complete in July. LizzyM 73

Two interview days left in January.
After those dates fill up, will everyone else be sent a rejection? What would it mean to not have an II or rejection after those dates fill up?

"January to March: Offers of admission are sent out on three release dates"

I know what the website says. I remember being told something differently during interview day. That's why it stood out to me. Did they tell you the three dates during interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what the website says. I remember being told something differently during interview day. That's why it stood out to me. Did they tell you the three dates during interview day?

They didn't tell us the days but I recall them saying three separate days

After those dates fill up, will everyone else be sent a rejection? What would it mean to not have an II or rejection after those dates fill up?

I think after they fill up, only cancellations and withdrawals will drive II's, last time I applied they sent me a rejection letter in March even though I didn't interview. So I don't think there is an immediate rejection after january

II yesterday!!! Shocked and thrilled :) LizzyM 75, OOS, complete 08/12. Available dates in January

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday as well. (ecstatic!) It was my very FIRST one!!!!! I was really losing hope.
Complete mid/end of July. shows that this process is super unpredictable.

Reactions: 3 users
Same. Complete late-July. This one stings a ton.
Do you guys have high stats? I'm wondering if they're giving IIs or axing among high MCATs first before they move onto piles of apps with lower stats

Do you guys have high stats? I'm wondering if they're giving IIs or axing among high MCATs first before they move onto piles of apps with lower stats
I have high stats (3.9/520) and haven't heard either way. Maybe I'll hear soon, but honestly I don't know how any of these schools' processes work.

i said something similar recently. it seems to be the case except for a few outliers. what's your lm range if i may ask?

i said something similar recently. it seems to be the case except for a few outliers. what's your lm range if i may ask?
Lol not Stanford material even by a reach, with zero pubs, so I think they'll get around to rejecting me once they get through the piles of overachievers :laugh:

Rejected just now, complete 8/12. Best of luck guys, this saves me a plane ticket out to Cali :p

Rejected this morning as well. Complete 7/4, LizzyM 72, tons of clinical experience, no research.
A little bummed, but not surprised by the rejection. Very nice / encouraging rejection email.
Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

For those of you who have interviewed, how is the 18 minute "traditional" interview included? Is it part of the MMI? Does Stanford supply information on these sorts of logistics? (sorry if this has already been asked). thanks!

For those of you who have interviewed, how is the 18 minute "traditional" interview included? Is it part of the MMI? Does Stanford supply information on these sorts of logistics? (sorry if this has already been asked). thanks!

We signed a NDA, so I doubt anyone will be able to help you there. I'm sure you'll be fine without this information, best of luck with your upcoming interview! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They tell you a little about the logistics prior to the interview, and I think there is some info about it on the portal that you are invited to log on to.

Did anyone see the withdrawal tab disappear before their rejection?

Just wondering about the conspiracy theory from the previous year's thread. Seems legit.

No, I was already rejected and I still have the option of withdrawing.

No, I was already rejected and I still have the option of withdrawing.

Does anyone know the LizzyM score range that Stanford has offered interviews for?

For those who interviewed relatively early on, has there been any word back regarding decisions?

Reeejected today as well. LizzyM 77, OOS, complete late September

Got the ole Stanford rejection this morning. Complete in July

Jumping on the rejection train. Not surprised. Total reach for me! Complete mid-Sept.

Just waiting for my rejection at this point lol

Reactions: 1 users
Haha begs the question why am I still here. Trimming the apps with the least amount of research experience first...?

Haha begs the question why am I still here. Trimming the apps with the least amount of research experience first...?
Speaking of that.... Anyone else a little irritated with how much emphasis is placed on research for MD programs? If it's mainly research we want to do, we'd get a PhD or apply to an MD-PhD program. I understand that a basic understanding of how scientific research is conducted is important, but to go from that to expecting publications, is a little much imo.

Speaking of that.... Anyone else a little irritated with how much emphasis is placed on research for MD programs? If it's mainly research we want to do, we'd get a PhD or apply to an MD-PhD program. I understand that a basic understanding of how scientific research is conducted is important, but to go from that to expecting publications, is a little much imo.

well n=1 but in my opinion I've heard a lot of chatter about MD curriculum changing in the past years in part toward emphasizing evidence-based medicine. As in here is a research study done for your condition, and here is a mathematical model of said disease, so treating I'm treating you x way due to the scientific evidence. As opposed to the bit old school mentally of I did it this way, its been working, we don't know why, but it will probably work for you. Hence why I think med schools now want applicants familiar with how research is conducted and how results matriculate from it.

well n=1 but in my opinion I've heard a lot of chatter about MD curriculum changing in the past years in part toward emphasizing evidence-based medicine. As in here is a research study done for your condition, and here is a mathematical model of said disease, so treating I'm treating you x way due to the scientific evidence. As opposed to the bit old school mentally of I did it this way, its been working, we don't know why, but it will probably work for you. Hence why I think med schools now want applicants familiar with how research is conducted and how results matriculate from it.
IMHO Anyone capable of getting good grades in premed courses and a decent MCAT score has already shown him-/herself capable of conducting (or learning to conduct) research and understanding how results matriculate from it.

IMHO Anyone capable of getting good grades in premed courses and a decent MCAT score has already shown him-/herself capable of conducting (or learning to conduct) research and understanding how results matriculate from it.

Fair point, far be it from me to even hazard a guess toward the inner machinations of the admission committee minds.... *milk spills*