You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Acceptance Range just now 🙁🙁🙁
interviewed 12/5
interviewed 12/5
I got some merit-basedHas anyone received any financial aid offers/scholarships?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Acceptance Range just now 🙁🙁🙁
interviewed 12/5
I still haven't heard anything back after my interview that week [emoji854]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The way they send decisions out seems to be random! There were acceptances and acceptance range throughout the whole week for the other interview dates.I still haven't heard anything back after my interview that week [emoji854]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fingers crossed for you and everyone waiting!

When were you accepted?I got some merit-based
Sorry to hear 🙁Acceptance Range just now 🙁🙁🙁
interviewed 12/5
Interviewed 12/5, but I still haven't heard back... literally dying of anxiety 
Last edited:
^ +1
No, if you still have the check mark, then they are still evaluating you or waiting for a chance to invite you to interview. If the season passes and there was no chance to interview you, then you'll just get a rejection letter (and probably try early next year)does tulane do silent rejections? I'm still on "in progress" pre interview
No worries! I was thinking of writing a letter of intent, but I found that it would be really difficult for me to move my family down to NOLA since the charter school system requires applications and proof of residency in NOLA by the end of this month.... either that or pay $10-20,000 for 3rd grade at a private school lol.Sorry to hear 🙁
I just graduated last year and I don't understand how 1 year of elementary school could cost me more than 1 year of my undergrad.
Anyways, everything happens for a reason! There's always residency Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!!
Yeah... Public schools here in Louisiana are below par. The state doesn't invest much into public education because most elected officials send their children to private schools. It's pretty insane.No worries! I was thinking of writing a letter of intent, but I found that it would be really difficult for me to move my family down to NOLA since the charter school system requires applications and proof of residency in NOLA by the end of this month.... either that or pay $10-20,000 for 3rd grade at a private school lol.
I just graduated last year and I don't understand how 1 year of elementary school could cost me more than 1 year of my undergrad.
Anyways, everything happens for a reason! There's always residency Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!!
Yeah, that's unfortunate... some of the charter schools are also pretty competitive. I wonder which children are getting the lower quality education (The real question being: why no one is doing anything about it)...Yeah... Public schools here in Louisiana are below par. The state doesn't invest much into public education because most elected officials send their children to private schools. It's pretty insane.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if there is a place to store luggage on-site on interview day??
They had a closet where I saw some people leave their stuff, but you can always call and ask! 🙂Does anyone know if there is a place to store luggage on-site on interview day??
Yeah. They put it in a safe room near the receptionist on the same floor of where you start and end the interview day.Does anyone know if there is a place to store luggage on-site on interview day??
For those that have been accepted and are 100% going to Tulane, has anyone looked into the housing yet? There are so many options...
For those that have been accepted and are 100% going to Tulane, has anyone looked into the housing yet? There are so many options...
There are a TON of housing options it's true. From what I heard (and I'm a NOLA native) most students, but not all, tend to gravitate towards uptown and the garden district for housing!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
.
Last edited:
There are a TON of housing options it's true. From what I heard (and I'm a NOLA native) most students, but not all, tend to gravitate towards uptown and the garden district for housing!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! I'll look more into it
Thanks! I'll look more into it
The apartment complex called the Saulet is pretty popular with med students also.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey guys recently accepted. But in all honestly I am appalled by the cost to attend Tulane. Is there anyway to make it better besides seeing if I can get into LSU?
Hey guys recently accepted. But in all honestly I am appalled by the cost to attend Tulane. Is there anyway to make it better besides seeing if I can get into LSU?
Are you asking for a way to make Tulane cheaper?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Acceptance range email today.
Interviewed 12/7.
Any idea if there is a good chance that acceptance range applicants lead to admission offers?
Interviewed 12/7.
Any idea if there is a good chance that acceptance range applicants lead to admission offers?
Both the student I stayed with and the one giving our tour got off the WL. There is hope! They both mentioned writing a few updates/letters to the school about how much they loved it there.Acceptance range email today.
Interviewed 12/7.
Any idea if there is a good chance that acceptance range applicants lead to admission offers?
Thank you! I remember one of my student interviewers saying he had to send multiple updates as well. I guess not all of us are lucky with an immediate acceptance. Lol.Both the student I stayed with and the one giving our tour got off the WL. There is hope! They both mentioned writing a few updates/letters to the school about how much they loved it there.
😉
I'm pretty sure you just apply MD and then anyone can add a MPH after acceptance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!has anybody applied and interviewed MD/MPH? is the interview any different or do you just interview for the MD program and they pick you for MPH after acceptance?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe you have to have an MCAT over 28 for the 4 year program. Not sure how the 5 year program works tho!I'm pretty sure you just apply MD and then anyone can add a MPH after acceptance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Is anyone who Interviewed in Early Dec still waiting for a decision?
Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 12/9
Accepted a couple days ago. Interviewed 12/5. In-state
Do you remember how much of that is dedicated? I can't find my packet....Thanks!I believe on interview day they said it was about 2 months time (and that a lot of people took the exam early... didn't actually need the whole 2 months).
update: Accepted, interviewed 12/7
Yes, thank you 🙂By "dedicated" do you mean how much time does Tulane set aside for you to have to solely prep for Step 1? If so, I believe it is 2 months (that's what I jotted down... but it's not info they printed anywhere). Sorry, hope that helps!
Yeah if you go to user profile in the portal, there's a document upload tab!
So I have a question. I doubt anyone can answer this because who knows and the answer is probably that "it's kind of random".
I applied to Tulane w/ a LM of 74-75 and good enough ECs that I've been accepted to 7 schools. The schools I got rejected from (other than Tulane) were big time research schools, and I did not have a lot of research experience, so that was very much expected.
Believe me, I am grateful for how the cycle went, but I am just trying to understand this and maybe it will help future applicants. The one school I just cannot figure out is Tulane. Why would I get almost immediately rejected from this school with my statistics and ECs which were largely directed at serving underserved populations? Furthermore, I have parents that are alums. However, I am from the Northeast. But Tulane is private, so I thought that wouldn't matter.
Anyway, please understand that I am not complaining, bragging, or anything bad. I'm seriously just curious.
Thanks for any input!
I applied to Tulane w/ a LM of 74-75 and good enough ECs that I've been accepted to 7 schools. The schools I got rejected from (other than Tulane) were big time research schools, and I did not have a lot of research experience, so that was very much expected.
Believe me, I am grateful for how the cycle went, but I am just trying to understand this and maybe it will help future applicants. The one school I just cannot figure out is Tulane. Why would I get almost immediately rejected from this school with my statistics and ECs which were largely directed at serving underserved populations? Furthermore, I have parents that are alums. However, I am from the Northeast. But Tulane is private, so I thought that wouldn't matter.
Anyway, please understand that I am not complaining, bragging, or anything bad. I'm seriously just curious.
Thanks for any input!
So I have a question. I doubt anyone can answer this because who knows and the answer is probably that "it's kind of random".
I applied to Tulane w/ a LM of 74-75 and good enough ECs that I've been accepted to 7 schools. The schools I got rejected from (other than Tulane) were big time research schools, and I did not have a lot of research experience, so that was very much expected.
Believe me, I am grateful for how the cycle went, but I am just trying to understand this and maybe it will help future applicants. The one school I just cannot figure out is Tulane. Why would I get almost immediately rejected from this school with my statistics and ECs which were largely directed at serving underserved populations? Furthermore, I have parents that are alums. However, I am from the Northeast. But Tulane is private, so I thought that wouldn't matter.
Anyway, please understand that I am not complaining, bragging, or anything bad. I'm seriously just curious.
Thanks for any input!
Tulane loves the northeast so that's definitely not it. From what I can gather after interviewing there, they seem to really value unique experiences and global experiences a lot more than other schools. Public health related experiences are also a plus.
For me personally, I had a very good MCAT score and average-good GPA so maybe MCAT is more important there? Commitment to underserved populations and understanding of the New Orleans community specifically also seemed to be important.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My MCAT was my strength, if anything. I have absolutely nothing in global health, so that would make sense. I guess there's no real way to know, but I just was very curious because something really made them pull the trigger quickly on the rejection.Tulane loves the northeast so that's definitely not it. From what I can gather after interviewing there, they seem to really value unique experiences and global experiences a lot more than other schools. Public health related experiences are also a plus.
For me personally, I had a very good MCAT score and average-good GPA so maybe MCAT is more important there? Commitment to underserved populations and understanding of the New Orleans community specifically also seemed to be important.
Then again, if I was going to get rejected, I appreciated knowing quickly! 🙂
Thanks for your input!
Tulane loves the northeast so that's definitely not it. From what I can gather after interviewing there, they seem to really value unique experiences and global experiences a lot more than other schools. Public health related experiences are also a plus.
For me personally, I had a very good MCAT score and average-good GPA so maybe MCAT is more important there? Commitment to underserved populations and understanding of the New Orleans community specifically also seemed to be important.
Rejected prior to II or post interview? If prior to II, perhaps they don't think you will attend their school
Another data point for y'all: Rejected pre II, 515/3.8, non traditional, non urm, OOS, complete in mid dec
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I still haven't been rejected or given an II...what is going on haha
EDIT: finished late july....
I was the same till last week when they gave me an II. I think they have a list of people they would want to send II to but are just waiting for spots to open. They only had one available date when I scheduled my interview.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K