2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! I'm broke at this point though, so I'm going to withdraw my app. Hope one of you guys gets this spot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here last week. Just wanted to say that I loved every minute of my time there. Definitely one of my top choices. The students, faculty, and community members were so nice and helpful. Never have I felt so welcomed by strangers. Hoping for an acceptance!

Reactions: 7 users
I got a call and a voicemail on my phone from New Orleans today so I was freaking out since I'm on the waitlist, but I was at work so I couldn't listen to it right away.... spam call :diebanana:

Reactions: 1 user
respectfully declined Tulane's admission offer....just not worth the sticker price at all IMO. Hope one of yall gets it! Sincerely!!!

Could anyone explain the 'donut' for clerkships? Do you get to pick any order of
specialties or are there pre-designed tracks?

just got an acceptance email. Interviewed on 1/27. LizzyM 69. Thanks for everyone's support!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I was wondering if I can get some insight about the Masters programs that Tulane offers. As far as the Cell Biology and Molecular Biology masters, Biomedical Science masters, and the Physiology masters how are these programs and class sizes? Did anyone attend these programs? Also as far as me as an applicant having a lower undergrad GPA looking to improve my overall GPA which one would look better to a medical school admissions committee in yall's opinion? Thanks y'all!

Hey all! I was wondering if I can get some insight about the Masters programs that Tulane offers. As far as the Cell Biology and Molecular Biology masters, Biomedical Science masters, and the Physiology masters how are these programs and class sizes? Did anyone attend these programs? Also as far as me as an applicant having a lower undergrad GPA looking to improve my overall GPA which one would look better to a medical school admissions committee in yall's opinion? Thanks y'all!

I recommend doing a postbac that is geared for grade enhancement. You can take the classes you need to fit with you transcript rather then being fixed into one specific program without flexibility. The aamc tool below can help find programs.

https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

I recommend doing a postbac that is geared for grade enhancement. You can take the classes you need to fit with you transcript rather then being fixed into one specific program without flexibility. The aamc tool below can help find programs.

https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

Thank you for the good advice. However for my case after talking to some medical admissions professionals for some schools they advised me to get a masters to prove I can do upper level coursework. So I'm trying to find a masters program that will stand out most with admissions committees. I'm just trying to decide between the Masters programs I mentioned before.

Thank you for the good advice. However for my case after talking to some medical admissions professionals for some schools they advised me to get a masters to prove I can do upper level coursework. So I'm trying to find a masters program that will stand out most with admissions committees. I'm just trying to decide between the Masters programs I mentioned before.

IIRC, classes taken during Masters programs do not factor into the GPA calculated by AMCAS. So although it would indeed show that you can handle upper level classes, it won't help improve your overall GPA for your application.

For Tulane specifically, I would look into the ACP program. You take anatomy and histology with the T1s and if you beat the average (and are not a horrible person), you get an interview and have a very, very high chance of getting accepted during the next cycle. You have to be waitlisted at a med school to be eligible to apply, though.

IIRC, classes taken during Masters programs do not factor into the GPA calculated by AMCAS. So although it would indeed show that you can handle upper level classes, it won't help improve your overall GPA for your application.

For Tulane specifically, I would look into the ACP program. You take anatomy and histology with the T1s and if you beat the average (and are not a horrible person), you get an interview and have a very, very high chance of getting accepted during the next cycle. You have to be waitlisted at a med school to be eligible to apply, though.

Alright great thank you for that info! What does IIRC mean lol.

The ACP program is only open to students who are on a US medical school wait list.

You can still take many upper-level bio classes at a post-bac program to raise your GPA at usually a lot lower price than a SMP. Feel free to PM me if you would want any more advice.

I'm going to be a doctor!!!!! First acceptance today, interviewed 1/27, OOS, LizzyM 71. I'm over the moon!

Reactions: 13 users
+3!! Interviewed 1/27 and accepted! I'm hardcore ugly crying right now. I really love this school!

Reactions: 7 users

IIRC = "If I recall correctly"

You can also do an informal post-bacc by enrolling as a non-degree seeking student at your local university and taking upper level classes. When I was doing a post-bacc, the university in town didn't offer a formal program and I wasn't willing to move. So I took all my pre-med classes and then some upper level ones (for the same reason you are - show adcoms I can handle the workload) as a DIY post-bacc program.

It worked for me because I already needed to do my prereqs so adding some extras like advanced bio, biochem, etc. onto the tail end seemed like a natural progression. But if you're already done with prereqs then I don't know if it'd benefit you to take random classes without having an end goal such as another degree to show for it.

Yeah I have a degree in Biology so I definitely probably need some graduate coursework under my belt. My fiscal situation won't let me do a do it yourself post baccalaureate from out of pocket money. But I really appreciate that advice.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

IIRC = "If I recall correctly"

You can also do an informal post-bacc by enrolling as a non-degree seeking student at your local university and taking upper level classes. When I was doing a post-bacc, the university in town didn't offer a formal program and I wasn't willing to move. So I took all my pre-med classes and then some upper level ones (for the same reason you are - show adcoms I can handle the workload) as a DIY post-bacc program.

It worked for me because I already needed to do my prereqs so adding some extras like advanced bio, biochem, etc. onto the tail end seemed like a natural progression. But if you're already done with prereqs then I don't know if it'd benefit you to take random classes without having an end goal such as another degree to show for it.
Yeah I have a degree in Biology so I definitely probably need some graduate coursework under my belt. My fiscal situation won't let me do a do it yourself post baccalaureate from out of pocket money. But I really appreciate that advice.

Does anyone know if there is only the MD/MBA second look day or if there is one for regular MD students down the line?

For all you recently accepted students congrats! Do you all mind sharing what your MCAT score was?

Does anyone know if there is only the MD/MBA second look day or if there is one for regular MD students down the line?

I remember reading that they regular one was no longer being conducted since around two years ago. So far, only the MD/MBA has one. Are you going?

I remember reading that they regular one was no longer being conducted since around two years ago. So far, only the MD/MBA has one. Are you going?
I want to but I'm not really interested in getting an MBA, I just loved the school and want to go back lol. Are you?

NOLA has a great bus system. So does Tulane. So if u don't have a car u will be good. But if u have a car I would say you would be glad if u brought it.

Any current students or NOLA natives have advice on whether or not a car is necessary for first couple of years? Does NOLA have decent public transportation or is it just easier to have a car?
Hey I'm a NOLA Native and I would say a car is pretty necessary. Although NOLA is a great city, it's not the type of city you want to rely using public transportation especially during the night. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 3 users
Overall I would say get a car lol but of u cannot beacuse of fiscal reasons I was saying that you would be OK! But if you can afford. You will be glad you did. Good luck!

Anyone else hear anything from 1/27? I'm still waiting... :whistle:

@Kojo90 @The Petty Enigma thank you both! I am getting such mixed reviews :eek: so I am not sure what to do! Haha

If anyone else has an opinion about having a car in NOLA, I would love to know!

Nola native here likely going to Tulane! A car is VERY helpful. I would, imho, very much recommend having one. For me, it's more safety and convenience. Even though Nola has cleaned up a LOT I'm still not a huge fan of walking around or standing at bus stops at night. Parking can be tricky, especially around the French quarter etc. but it's well worth having your own ride. But to agree with everyone here, if you don't have one, it's not the end of the world, just a *little* trickier to manage

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Nola native here likely going to Tulane! A car is VERY helpful. I would, imho, very much recommend having one. For me, it's more safety and convenience. Even though Nola has cleaned up a LOT I'm still not a huge fan of walking around or standing at bus stops at night. Parking can be tricky, especially around the French quarter etc. but it's well worth having your own ride. But to agree with everyone here, if you don't have one, it's not the end of the world, just a *little* trickier to manage

I took uber and lyft when I was in NOLA...if you aren't planning on driving a lot, it may just be cheaper than a car payment/insurance to plan on catching a ride every once in a while.

Are people emailing the admissions office updates or just uploading them to the portal?

I've seen posts recommending places to live, but is there a page or Facebook thread where people can go if they are looking for roommates?

I'm trying to figure out where to matriculate and currently hold an acceptance at Tulane. I had a great time interviewing at Tulane, however I have had many other people in the medical world give me mixed reviews about the medical school. Why is this? The perception about the school is all over the place from the small sample size of people who I have asked. I know not to base my decision off other people's opinions, however choosing a medical school seems more difficult than I thought it'd be early on in the process. I'm not asking people to tell me where to go, but rather just want to figure out why there's such a varied opinion about this school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm trying to figure out where to matriculate and currently hold an acceptance at Tulane. I had a great time interviewing at Tulane, however I have had many other people in the medical world give me mixed reviews about the medical school. Why is this? The perception about the school is all over the place from the small sample size of people who I have asked. I know not to base my decision off other people's opinions, however choosing a medical school seems more difficult than I thought it'd be early on in the process. I'm not asking people to tell me where to go, but rather just want to figure out why there's such a varied opinion about this school.

What were the opinions you've heard?